PDA

View Full Version : [Dixonary] Defs Up: 1767 BROTHERWORT

John Barrs
December 11th, 2006, 05:00 AM
Friends

Firstly an appology for not posting a reminder message, but although it isn't a patch on yours, we have been having weather problems
over here and in our case that caused a lot of work chasing my property all over the neighbourhood and repairing things - believe it
or not as you will, I was too busy to do relaxing things like switching on my computer.

Secondly, 19 dafunitions are presented - one is really from a dictionary, the others are really from you-all. I decided to leave
them all as sent with one exception and to make no amalgamations; so picking your way through this lot will be a challenge

Vote for TWO definitions, as a public forum message (in reply to this one), before the deadline which is midnight GMT
Tuesday/Wednesday and other places as appropriate
7:00 pm on the East Coast USA
4:00 pm on the West Coast USA
Midday Wednesday in Auckland NZ

New players are welcome, even if you didn't enter a definition this round. Don't look in a dictionary. Full rules, if you're
curious, are in the files area of the Yahoo Coryphaeus group http://tinyurl.com/br3oc or the sticky messages at tapcis.com in The
Parlor

Best of Luck

JohnnyB (Using marijke's Dixomat)

1: a kind of herb

2: a medicinal herb _Tsuga fratris_ used as a mild tranquiliser.

3: an old name for the creeping thyme - thymus serpyllum

4: a yellow flower related to Saint John's Wort, the petals of which were at one time dried and used in a treatment for rheumatism

5: [archaic] a bipome.

6: an infusion of malts from two different grains fermented to produce a particularly strong malt liquor.

7: an Eurasian perennial herb having cylindrical spikes of usually pink flowers and a rhizome used as an astringent in folk
medicine.

8: a plant having yellow flowers with 5 petals; the petals have black dots on the margins: the plant, commonly called St.
Johnswort, is used as a natural tranquilizer.

9: [N. Eng. Dial.] a gift or prize baked in pie or tart.

10: one of several herbal mixtures formerly used to flavor Absinthe

11: a perennial herb of northern Europe, having small pink flowers and a cowl-shaped sepal; also called monkshood.

12: an herb found in the Black Forest of Germany, used heal burns.

13: a therapeutic herb growing as a clinging vine attached to a wall, a fence or a tree. Useful for digestive disorders and for
diarrhoea caused by food intolerances. It is non-toxic and overdoses are extremely rare. Cynanchum fraternum.

14: a column carved in the shape of a human male

15: a tall annual weed of western Asia (Mentosa straboscaetus) having smooth oval leaves often used in medicinal preparations.

16: plant of the American southwest whose shallow, broad roots are believed, by the Ute Indians, to carry the power to cure many
illnesses, and give greater power and fearlessness to warriors

17: a succulent plant with very thick and sticky juice, which is highly effective in stanching bleeding cuts and other wounds.

18: any additive added to beer before adding yeast.

19: any of various plants of the genus _Geum_, of the rose family, having yellow, white or red flowers.

Dave Cunningham
December 11th, 2006, 10:57 AM
6 and 18 for the beers --- a couple of the defs I couldn't figure out, and almost all the rest are plants ...

Dave

Judy Madnick
December 11th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Gosh, how *does* one wade through this definitions! I'll skip the herbs (although I don't know what a "bipome" is, so if it's an herb, I'm contradicting myself!) and go with:

<< 5: [archaic] a bipome (since I don't know what a "bipome" is <G>)

and

<< 9: [N. Eng. Dial.] a gift or prize baked in pie or tart ('cuz it's an interesting idea!)

Judy Madnick

BobStone
December 11th, 2006, 01:13 PM
This time I go the simple route with #1 and #5.

-Bob Stone

mshefler
December 11th, 2006, 02:30 PM
I'll pick 6 and 18 in honor of Benjamin Franklin.

Tim Bourne
December 11th, 2006, 04:48 PM
13 and 19, please.

Best wishes,

Tim B

Paul Keating
December 11th, 2006, 06:34 PM
I vote for 1, which is clearly true, even if it isn't the one you had in
mind.

Avoiding the Barrs def (8), I cast my other vote at 11.

So, 1 and 11.

--
Paul Keating
The Hague

Guerri Stevens
December 11th, 2006, 08:15 PM
I vote for 4 and 11.

Guerri