Dan in Saint Louis
December 8th, 2006, 04:06 PM
The bleeding edge:
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/12/08/firefox_30_alpha/

davidh
December 8th, 2006, 05:33 PM
The bleeding edge:

I'm glad 2.0 still runs on 98 and 1.5 on 95. Haven't dared to dip my toes in any deeper water.

DH

ndebord
December 8th, 2006, 11:49 PM
The bleeding edge:

Dan,

This is where I stop using FF. I am back to W98se after my last goaround with W2000 and am very happy. I will get my bug fixes through K-Meleon which is commited to W98se for two reasons: 1) philosophically it wants to be backward compatible and 2) it has no choice. The new Gecko engine that will be used in FF 3.xx is not compatibile with 98. A firm decision by The Mozilla Foundation and the new Turks there behind FF (an opinion not shared by 3rd party Gecko users like FF and one deplored by the old Turks at Seamonkey).

davidh
December 9th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Dan,

This is where I stop using FF. I am back to W98se after my last goaround with W2000 and am very happy. I will get my bug fixes through K-Meleon which is commited to W98se for two reasons: 1) philosophically it wants to be backward compatible and 2) it has no choice. The new Gecko engine that will be used in FF 3.xx is not compatibile with 98. A firm decision by The Mozilla Foundation and the new Turks there behind FF (an opinion not shared by 3rd party Gecko users like FF and one deplored by the old Turks at Seamonkey).

Nick,

I am wondering about a couple things

1. How do the developers of K-Meleon compare to those on Seamonkey wrt web site based notification and/or automatic updates related to security holes?

2. Which user base and developer group is more likely to keep going longer into the future with support ? K-Meleon or SeaMonkey ?

When Firefox 2.0 stops offering security updates, I'll probably have to switch to a different browser, probably sometime in 2007, I suppose.

I wonder if Seamonkey supports HTML editing like Netscape and Mozilla did. I sort of like the Netscape editor for the rare html editing I do since it's relatively simple.

I still use Windows 98 SE. However, I do sometimes have desire for some Win XP programs, perhaps such as Google Desktop. I intend to try out CrossLoop for supporting friends and family on Windows, so i'm glad that CrossLoop works on Win 98.

DH

ndebord
December 11th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Nick,

I am wondering about a couple things

1. How do the developers of K-Meleon compare to those on Seamonkey wrt web site based notification and/or automatic updates related to security holes?

2. Which user base and developer group is more likely to keep going longer into the future with support ? K-Meleon or SeaMonkey ?

When Firefox 2.0 stops offering security updates, I'll probably have to switch to a different browser, probably sometime in 2007, I suppose.

I wonder if Seamonkey supports HTML editing like Netscape and Mozilla did. I sort of like the Netscape editor for the rare html editing I do since it's relatively simple.

I still use Windows 98 SE. However, I do sometimes have desire for some Win XP programs, perhaps such as Google Desktop. I intend to try out CrossLoop for supporting friends and family on Windows, so i'm glad that CrossLoop works on Win 98.

DH

David,

K-Meleon is a one man band and a group of faithful companions. There has only been one developer at a time from the very beginning. Having said that, it has managed to get to version 1.0.xx. A significant milestone for the little browser with the small memory footprint and a philosophy that you don't need Active X or XUL (on the whole, with minor exceptions, like calling up IE when you ahve no choice and for Aggreg8, an XUL-based RSS reader) to do things when a good old-fashioned macro scripting language can do the same things with less overhead and with the possibility of end user modification of the macros to fit individual desires.

FF 3.0 may mean the death of K-Meleon. There is much debate about what to do down the road. There are some developers at Seamonkey and akin that are looking to find ways to modify things so that 98 can work in the future, but right now, nobody knows what will be.

Peter Creasey
December 12th, 2006, 09:10 AM

David, SeaMonkey does have the Composer. And it also has a great email handler.

SeaMonkey has a smaller footprint than Firefox + Thunderbird and is considered by many people to be faster and more nimble than Firefox.

A lot of people, including me, cannot understand the arguments put forth as to why the SeaMonkey concept was abandoned by Mozilla. Thankfully, thus far, there seems to be no impact as the SeaMonkey product is most impressive.

ndebord
December 12th, 2006, 12:49 PM
David,

K-Meleon is a standalone browser. As such, everything else is an addon, like FF in that respect. As for how do the developers of K-Meleon compare to those on Seamonkey wrt web site based notification and/or automatic updates related to security holes, it uses the latest bugfix version of Gecko, designed for Seamonkey, subject to the limitations of one developer working on and time constraints. So far, bug fixes have come pretty quick, but not as quick as a multi-developer shop.