PDA

View Full Version : Edit user name?

Judy Madnick
May 26th, 2005, 02:16 PM
1. I didn't realize that the user name can have spaces in it. Is there a way to change one's user name?

2. Is there a way via email to be notified that a message has been posted to the forum?

Thanks!

Judy

Daniel Widdis
May 26th, 2005, 02:38 PM
1. I didn't realize that the user name can have spaces in it. Is there a way to change one's user name?
I made the same mistake at first. There is no way for regular users (you and I) to change it, but the moderators might be able to do that for you. As for me, I just signed up under a new user name (I had to change the email address on my "old" user name first!)
2. Is there a way via email to be notified that a message has been posted to the forum?Yes and no and soon. :)

a. Yes, if you originate a message thread or reply to one, you can have your options set to subscribe to that thread. Or you can manually subscribe to any existing thread. In this case, you'll get email notification of new messages. (Click on User CP for your control panel, then Edit Options, then change your default subscription behavior.)

b. No, I don't think there's any way for a new message thread/topic to be sent to you by email, but...

c. As soon as the staff enables RSS feeds here, I have software set up to begin relaying all new messages in the Parlor to the coryphaeus Yahoo email list.

Daniel Widdis
May 26th, 2005, 02:41 PM
2. Is there a way via email to be notified that a message has been posted to the forum?
Digging around, I just found out that you can "subscribe" to the Forum as well, but there's no "instant" email option there: the shortest it has is "daily".

sidney
May 26th, 2005, 02:55 PM
As soon as the staff enables RSS feeds here

I didn't realize this software supported RSS feeds! That will be handy. I can't wait to see how an RSS feed into Thunderbird compares to using a newsgroup based forum.

-- sidney

Judy Madnick
May 26th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Digging around, I just found out that you can "subscribe" to the Forum as well, but there's no "instant" email option there: the shortest it has is "daily".

Thanks for the info, as well as the user-name ideas.

Judy Madnick
May 26th, 2005, 06:01 PM
I just signed up under a new user name (I had to change the email address on my "old" user name first!)

Okay, I'm now "Judy Madnick." How do I get rid of my old "me"??
Judy

Daniel Widdis
May 26th, 2005, 07:17 PM
How do I get rid of my old "me"??
JudyI just left the old "me" to wither on the vine. I presume they'll do some sort of inactive user cleanup at some point. :)

Judy Madnick
May 26th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Is there a way via email to be notified that a message has been posted to the forum?Judy

Okay, I figured that one out. :)

But now I have to somehow eliminate the "judymadnick" user name. I hope that's possible or this is going to get very confusing! :mad:

Andrew B.
May 26th, 2005, 08:00 PM
But now I have to somehow eliminate the "judymadnick" user name.There is a feature there for merging two users into one, but it has to be done from the admin control panel.

Judy G. Russell
May 26th, 2005, 08:13 PM
As soon as the staff enables RSS feeds here, I have software set up to begin relaying all new messages in the Parlor to the coryphaeus Yahoo email list.
Daniel, I think it's now enabled. Let me know please.

Judy G. Russell
May 26th, 2005, 08:14 PM
It's turned on now, Sidney. (I think!) You can report back!

Judy G. Russell
May 26th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Okay, I'm now "Judy Madnick." How do I get rid of my old "me"??
Done. Your old account has been merged into your new one.

Judy G. Russell
May 26th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Daniel, I can merge your old dbwiddis account into your new one so everything is as if your new account posted it. Shall I?

Karl Semper
May 26th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Judy,

Would you change my username to Karl Semper, like the others I didn't realize that we could have spaces in our names.

Thanks

Judy G. Russell
May 26th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Done, Karl!

Daniel Widdis
May 27th, 2005, 12:05 AM
Daniel, I can merge your old dbwiddis account into your new one so everything is as if your new account posted it. Shall I?Please do! Keep the email address on this account!

I only posted one message on the "old" account, so it shouldn't be a problem. :)

Dan

Judy G. Russell
May 27th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Done, I think -- you can let me know if you see any problems.

Judy Madnick
May 27th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Done, I think -- you can let me know if you see any problems.

Looks like "judymadnick" is history -- and "Judy Madnick" is "in"! Thanks for your assistance.

woodswell
May 28th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Judy, Is it preferrable to use real names? If so, you can change my "woodswell" name to Anne E. Wright. I've gotten too used to using a web ID for many forums who don't care.

Thanks!
Anne

Judy G. Russell
May 29th, 2005, 12:02 AM
Let's see if we can get some sort of consensus around here on that, Anne! (I personally prefer something approaching a real name, but also am on too many web boards to thing it's critical any more...)

jackofshadows
May 29th, 2005, 02:35 AM
Judy, I can go either way on that. If real names seem to be the trend, and it does seem to be that this is the case from what I'm seeing, I'll create a new one as me. My real name is splattered all over the web as it is, although searching on jackofshadows also turns up me readily enough (rather to my surprise!).

Heck, ya'll know me from my sig anyway :)

Judy G. Russell
May 29th, 2005, 09:34 AM
For the time being, we'll leave things the way they are, Bri, except that as soon as I can find the switch in the software, we'll consider allowing members to edit their names so that folks who didn't know they could use two words, etc., can correct things.

woodswell
May 29th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Judy, I will watch for an announcement and if it is in favor of real names, I can change it (if that is enabled), ask you (or another moderator) to change it, or create a new ID with my real name. No problem!
Anne