PDA

View Full Version : Possible Software Changes

Guerri Stevens
June 13th, 2005, 08:33 PM
I will start off by admitting that I have not read whatever it is I should read to understand how the software works.

There are two things that annoy me, and if they annoy others as well, perhaps they could be changed.

The first is the location of the submit new thread or the post reply or whatever button. I am using Mozilla, and as I compose this message, I see the top box with the Tapcis logo and forum name, the post new thread title, then there is a blue box. At the top is a darker blue bar with "Post New Thread" on the left and "Forum: Forum Use and Help" on the right. Below that is a large box, inside of which are the title, the message box, and the icons. These are all in boxes which are narrower than the Post New Thread box. The "submit new thread" button is out of sight. Yes, I could scroll down to it. However, there is lots of unused space in view. Why couldn't the "submit new thread" and "preview post" buttons be there in some of that unused space? Ditto for other types of messages being composed, such as the quick reply.

The other annoyance is what happens when I post a quick reply, and probably also when I post an ordinary reply or reply with quotes. I am using the hybrid view, which shows a message tree at the top, with the messages following. When I use quick reply, after posting the reply, I am taken to it and if I a remembering correctly, even if the reply is not at the end of the entire discussion, that is the last message I see. To get back to the rest I have to go back up to the tree. (As I said, I haven't read the instructions). And if I click on the tree where I left off, I believe I get to see only that message, not the rest of the messages in the tree from that point on.

Judy G. Russell
June 13th, 2005, 09:42 PM
The second one is a problem in hybrid and I'm not sure there's anything I can do to change it. But I'll look at both and may be able to do something about the first one.

Guerri Stevens
June 14th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Thanks for looking into this, Judy.

I looked at the FAQ information, and it really doesn't tell me how to properly use the forum. Is there documentation some place?

I was so used to TAPCIS, that this seems very alien. At least I'm not trying to press F7 all the time now.

Judy G. Russell
June 14th, 2005, 11:25 PM
I haven't found any really good documentation. What's clear, however, is that we can write our own. As we find features and want to make them clear to users, we can add our own FAQs. I just (sigh) need the time...

Lindsey
June 15th, 2005, 10:12 PM
We should find some way to make it a wiki project.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
June 15th, 2005, 10:55 PM
That's a good idea. I'll put that on the list of things to work on too. But I ain't workin' on anything this weekend -- my brother's retirement ceremony from the Marine Corps takes precedence.

Guerri Stevens
June 16th, 2005, 06:25 AM
I am not thrilled with FAQs, generally. Nevertheless, a FAQ that says "This is what seems to be the most efficient way to use the forums" might be OK. Such as Lindsey's suggestion elsewhere to abandon the tree views, if that is most efficient.

Explaining the symbols and colors in a FAQ would be good too.

And while I'm here, what's "wiki"?

Lindsey
June 16th, 2005, 05:10 PM
And while I'm here, what's "wiki"?
Basically, a colllaborative documentation project. As in "Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki)".

As to most efficient ways to use this type of forum: This is new to us, too. I'm not sure anyone is really qualified to make authoritative suggestions, which is why a wiki approach occurred to me.

--Lindsey

Guerri Stevens
June 16th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Aha - I assumed you folks would have been experimenting for weeks before you opened the doors here, and would have figured out the best methods of doing everything. There may be no one best way, but multiple methods to suit different tastes.

I am participating in the Dixonary game by Email. This gives me, essentially, an offline reader approach, although not as nice as TAPCIS. I'm interested in efficient ways to use these forums, though, in the hope that someday I can do that instead, not to mention reading others besides the Parlor.

Lindsey
June 16th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Aha - I assumed you folks would have been experimenting for weeks before you opened the doors here
Nope; more like about 3 days for me.

I am participating in the Dixonary game by Email. This gives me, essentially, an offline reader approach, although not as nice as TAPCIS.
I'm really not even trying to follow that section; I find it entirely too confusing.

--Lindsey

Franca
June 17th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Nope; more like about 3 days for me.You all are more than welcome to pop over to our "Using This Forum" section and ask away. (DTP Forum, see link in sig.) We've had more time to poke around in the software than you all have, and a few of the staff members are quite vBulletin savvy by now. (Alas, I'm not one of them; I leave the "under the hood" stuff to others more qualified.) I had nothing to do with the setup or feature enhancements we made so I can't help with making changes and improvements to the vBulletin software, but I can try to help with basic user issues. (Although I must warn you that I tend to have unorthodox ways of doing things, LOL. I may be the only one on DTP Forum who prefers Thread View, for instance!) Anyway, I think you all are doing great considering the limited time you had to get the place up and running!

Lindsey
June 17th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Ohhh, many thanks!

--Lindsey

Guerri Stevens
June 17th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Well, the Dixonary (Parlor) section has been very confusing but I think is now settling down. There were lots of messages about unthreaded messages, how to do this and that, what software people were using and issues with it while we all got adjusted to new stuff. Although there are still a few discussions about functionality, they are starting to peter out.

Judy G. Russell
June 23rd, 2005, 09:54 PM
Thanks for that invitation. I've been thinking that what we need -- you, us, the Pets Forum folks -- is an area where we can talk about the technical issues as we go forward (we're all going to have to learn to do updates, etc.!).