PDA

View Full Version : What do you do on CompuServe?

Andrew B.
November 24th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Putting aside forums and email, what do you do on CompuServe? Do you find anything interesting there? Do you use the CompuServe software? Have you changed from Classic to regular?

davidh
November 24th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Putting aside forums and email, what do you do on CompuServe? Do you find anything interesting there? Do you use the CompuServe software? Have you changed from Classic to regular?

I was on Classic from 1983 to 2005. TAPCIS program for mail & forums, 1996 to 2005, ASCII interface and DOSCIM before then. CS Classic Windows software only for account maintenance. Never tried CS2000.

Have tried: AOL ISP, Netscape ISP. Didn't find anything there that I couldn't get better and/or cheaper elsewhere. Generally speaking versions of AOL software higher than 5.0 have been unstable on my PC's (Win 9x) and had to uninstall them. Currently using Earthlink dial-up.

DH

ndebord
November 24th, 2006, 08:31 PM

Andrew,

What do I do (now) on Compu$erve? One hell of a lot less than I used to do when it was still CIS. I don't do offline forum browsing using AutoSig or Tapcis. With the complete change in software and management, I no longer volunteer my services as a SYSOP. Don't much like the terrain any more.

Still find it useful to a small degree. VirusCentral is useful as are most of the Wugnet forums. Aside from that, not much, not much at all. No longer use the CIS email address nor any of the software from olden days.

Lindsey
November 24th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Putting aside forums and e-mail? I never did anything with CompuServe but forums and e-mail anyway. But I don't use it for e-mail any more, and besides answering an occasional question on the Classic help forum, the only forum I participate in is Genealogy.

--Lindsey

lensue
November 25th, 2006, 08:54 AM
>Do you use the CompuServe software?<

Andrew I still have classic compuserve so I can keep my same email address--I find the Compuserve forums wonderful but I do realize I can get to them without having a CS account. I had tried regular CS one time but did not like it--maybe it's improved? Regards, Len

lensue
November 25th, 2006, 08:58 AM
>answering an occasional question on the Classic help forum,<

Lindsey I was just there earlier in the week--finally found out how to get my Compuserve address book into another file which I could print and burn to a CD--they gave me a lot of patient help as my computer knowledge is pretty bad! Regards, Len

Peter Creasey
November 25th, 2006, 09:14 AM
>Do you use the CompuServe software?<
I find the Compuserve forums wonderful

Len, I agree with you on the CIS Boards being very valuable.

I have used CIS Classic for many years but only with OzWin2 when it still worked. I never even loaded the CIS Classic software.

I still use my CIS Classic email account but do so via the SeaMonkey email processor.

lensue
November 25th, 2006, 04:12 PM
>the SeaMonkey email processor<

Pete, never heard of this--I don't know much about processors but someone in the classic forum recommended this for email archiving:

http://www.fkeeps.com/

I don't know anything about it but when I went to the site it looked impressive. Regards, Len

davidh
November 25th, 2006, 05:05 PM

Pete, never heard of this--I don't know much about processors but someone in the classic forum recommended this for email archiving:

I don't know anything about it but when I went to the site it looked impressive. Regards, Len The ForKeeps product has been going for at least a decade I think. Google Desktop (for Win XP, etc. not Win 9x) and probably other free desktop search engines also allow you to put your email and many other files into a personal PC desktop database/search engine. I have not tried Google Desktop since I use Win 98. desktop.google.com

DH

Peter Creasey
November 25th, 2006, 07:24 PM
I don't know anything about it but when I went to the site it looked impressive. Regards, Len

Len, I am very pleased with SeaMonkey (which evolved from the Mozilla Suite).

As for email archiving, personally I can't fathom the need for such a software package. If I were going to archive my email (and I have no need to at this time), I would just use my own basic saving and filing resources.

Andrew B.
November 25th, 2006, 08:47 PM
I still have classic compuserve so I can keep my same email addressDitto. Except I started giving out the non-numeric version that matched the Ourworld site I used to have.

I find the Compuserve forums wonderful but I do realize I can get to them without having a CS account.I get at them through the web, even though I'm a member. This keeps me from using up my minutes.

Lindsey
November 25th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Lindsey I was just there earlier in the week
Yes, I saw your messages there, but there wasn't much help I could offer, as I know very little about the operation of the CompuServe software. I'm glad you were able to get your problem resolved, though!

--Lindsey

lensue
November 26th, 2006, 07:37 AM
>ForKeeps product has been going for at least a decade I think. Google Desktop <

David, thanks I'm going to look into these--over the years I've saved a lot of email correspondence in the files Compuserve provides--I presume they are in my computer but I'd like a system where I could easily burn those files to a CD just in case something happens to my computer. Regards, Len

lensue
November 26th, 2006, 07:42 AM
>personally I can't fathom the need for such a software package<

Pete, there may be something I'm missing but here's my thinking on this. Let's say that over the last 6 years I have a file with a friend that now has 150 emails between us--I would like to be able to save them to a file where I could burn a CD just in case something happens to my computer. I want a system that allows me to save the entire file without having to open each and every email and copy and paste them to another file--with all the emails I've saved that would take a long time. Regards, Len

lensue
November 26th, 2006, 07:44 AM
>I get at them through the web, even though I'm a member. <

Andrew, exactly what I do--I read and respond to forum messages with my DSL and only go to CS4.2 to write and answer my email. Regards, Len

Peter Creasey
November 26th, 2006, 08:42 AM
I get at them through the web, even though I'm a member. This keeps me from using up my minutes.

Andrew, I can't imagine why you use a time plan.

I pay $3.95/mo for the Bring Your Own Access plan and don't have to worry about using the CIS software (which I have never had).

davidh
November 26th, 2006, 08:58 AM
>ForKeeps product has been going for at least a decade I think. Google Desktop <

David, thanks I'm going to look into these--over the years I've saved a lot of email correspondence in the files Compuserve provides--I presume they are in my computer but I'd like a system where I could easily burn those files to a CD just in case something happens to my computer. Regards, Len I think ForKeeps handles TAPCIS email files and Compuserve DOSCIM, WINCIM, CS3, & CS4 email files and brings the whole contents into its database. Google Desktop may not handle such Compuserve email files at all. Furthermore Google Desktop probably just "indexes" the files such as Outlook email, Netscape email, etc. and does not bring the contents per se into a separate database. So if you want to back up all your email in one place, ForKeeps may work. Of course, TAPCIS email and forum files are just plain text files that you can backup manually when and where you want.

DH

Dan in Saint Louis
November 26th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Let's say that over the last 6 years I have a file with a friend that now has 150 emails between us--I would like to be able to save them to a file where I could burn a CD just in case something happens to my computer.
Many email programs store messages as a big text file.

In Thunderbird or Eudora, for example, I could create a new folder with that friend's name, simply drag all the messages to that folder, and save it. A separate folder for 150 messages in a single category is a good idea anyway, and a filter could sort them there automatically as they arrive.

The advantage of this method is that I could copy that folder BACK to my Thunderbird profile and it could be opened and read there just like any other mailbox.

Andrew B.
November 26th, 2006, 11:09 AM
I pay $3.95/mo for the Bring Your Own Access planI can't find that plan. When I try to go to Price Plans / Accounts & Billing via the Csi Web site, my browser prompts me to download go.asp, instead of holding that value and going to the page. I tried three browsers with no luck. So I tried going in with Tapcis in Interactive mod. Went over and looked at the price plans there. It is not listed.

davidh
November 26th, 2006, 12:23 PM
I can't find that plan. When I try to go to Price Plans / Accounts & Billing via the Csi Web site, my browser prompts me to download go.asp, instead of holding that value and going to the page. I tried three browsers with no luck. So I tried going in with Tapcis in Interactive mod. Went over and looked at the price plans there. It is not listed. I think the "go.asp" has to do with the fact that the web site is trying to ask the browser to start up the Windows (WINCIM, CS3.x, or CS4.x) Compuserve software on your computer. If the Compuserve software is not installed or properly hooked into the browser, then that type of error would occur.

If I remember correctly, the only way for the end user to changes plans with Classic was to use the Compuserve software or use the ASCII menus (which you apparently tried). Last I heard, about one year ago or more, there was a number of plans that one probably had to call customer service to get:

1. pay as you go $2.95 (1 hr. included)
2. "lite" $4.95 (3 hrs. included)
3. bring your own access (possibly useful for private/adult forums, if they still exist?)

I think it is now also possible to get into the Compuserve ASCII menus with a TELNET program on the regular telnet port (23). Used to be that it only worked on port 4144. telnet to gateway.compuserve.com

Sometimes some people had to threaten to cancel and/or speak to a supervisor to get these plans.

Since classic mail is available via POP3 and forums via HTTP (browser), there's no reason or hardly any reason to use minutes anymore.

DH

davidh
November 26th, 2006, 12:43 PM
>personally I can't fathom the need for such a software package<

Pete, there may be something I'm missing but here's my thinking on this. Let's say that over the last 6 years I have a file with a friend that now has 150 emails between us--I would like to be able to save them to a file where I could burn a CD just in case something happens to my computer. I want a system that allows me to save the entire file without having to open each and every email and copy and paste them to another file--with all the emails I've saved that would take a long time. Regards, Len

Len, as Dan points out in this thread, several email programs besides TAPCIS save email in plain text files. For example, Netscape, Mozilla, Thunderbird, Eudora, Pegasus all use by default (or can handle) a text file format called MBOX (mail box).

The mfg. of ForKeeps also makes a program called ForMorph (lower price?) which would allow one to convert TAPCIS , WINCIM/CS2, CS3, CS4, DOSCIM mail and forum files into MBOX files (or other formats, too?).

No matter which method you might try out, ForKeeps, ForMorph, MBOX (free), etc. you will still have to get under the hood a little bit, at least to locate what folders and/or files contain the messages.

Peter Creasey
November 26th, 2006, 01:49 PM
I can't find that plan.

Andrew, First of all, the plan is $2.95 BYOA (instead of the $3.95 that I said).

You have to call CIS 1-800-848-8990 and insist on the promotions/cancel department. There you have to insist on speaking with someone who is familiar with CIS Classic. Then you MAY have to insist that you are going to cancel CIS unless they give you the $2.95 BYOA plan.

lensue
November 26th, 2006, 02:17 PM
>No matter which method you might try out, ForKeeps, ForMorph, MBOX (free), etc. you will still have to get under the hood a little bit, at least to locate what folders and/or files contain the messages.<

Dave, thanks, I'll give it a shot sometime soon. Regards, Len

Andrew B.
November 26th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Thanks for all the information. I'll look into it.

Dodi Schultz
November 27th, 2006, 04:57 PM

I "put aside" the CompuServe forums when they went Web-only (making them inaccessible via TAPCIS) and adopted the unfriendly--one might say downright hostile--new design. I still rely on CompuServe Classic and TAPCIS for e-mail (which I can also peruse with a browser via Mail2Web). And I get to the Web via CIS dial-up--yeah, slowish, but I have three CompuServe nodes here in NYC, and it's cheap: unlimited online time for very few bucks.

--DS

Peter Creasey
November 28th, 2006, 09:34 AM
the CompuServe forums when they went Web-only (making them inaccessible via TAPCIS) and adopted the unfriendly--one might say downright hostile--new design.

Dodi, Some of us feel that your knock on CIS is unduly harsh and unfair. I visit a number of online boards and feel that (i) the CIS Board has strong and worthwhile points and (ii) none of the online boards are perfect.

Truthfully, your strongarming (albeit probably well-intentioned) as a manager on the CIS Business Board was not constructive to the future of that Board.

We all liked accessing CIS via Tapcis or OzWin2, but there is no reason to harbor an ongoing grudge.

sidney
November 28th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Dodi, Some of us feel that your knock on CIS is unduly harsh and unfair [...] your strongarming (albeit probably well-intentioned) as a manager

Peter, I would like to point out that 1) You are an individual, not a "some of us", expressing your individual opinion; and 2) Dodi's knock on CIS was on the software, not on one or more people, and thus is in quite a different category than your knock on Dodi's forum management style, which verges on a personal attack, which has no place in this forum.

Thanks.

-- sidney

Jeff
November 28th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Peter, I would like to point out that 1) You are an individual, not a "some of us", expressing your individual opinion; and 2) Dodi's knock on CIS was on the software, not on one or more people, and thus is in quite a different category than your knock on Dodi's forum management style, which verges on a personal attack, which has no place in this forum.

Thanks.

-- sidney

Sidney, yes! Very well and accurately stated. Thank you.

- Jeff

Peter Creasey
November 28th, 2006, 03:31 PM
You are an individual, not a "some of us", expressing your individual opinion

Sidney, I was speaking for "some of us" as being those people who have in the past spoken up in defense of the CIS Boards in the face of overly harsh criticism. Most any online board(s) can be criticized on specific issues...this includes CIS. Similarly, most online boards have significant favorable attributes...once again this includes CIS.

As you recall, as a very longtime OzWin2 user and avid participant on your OzWin2 Board, I was as upset as anyone that CIS changed its format. However, this doesn't prevent me from realizing the newer product has some redeeming value for many, many people.

Speaking as an unemotionally involved observer, a carte blanche attach against CIS seems unwarranted and unfair.

Dodi Schultz
November 28th, 2006, 05:12 PM

Thanks.

-- sidney

Thanks, Sidney (and Jeff, too, for seconding Sidney's comment). You are absolutely right, of course; my comment was not an "attack" or evidence of some sort of "grudge," as Peter put it, but a comment on a particular style of forum design/operation, which I don't happen to care for. Peter seems to have taken that comment personally although, AFAIK, he played no part in that redesign. I wasn't even criticizing CIS as a whole; as I said, it's still my ISP!

--DS

Lindsey
November 28th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Most any online board(s) can be criticized on specific issues...this includes CIS.
Indeed. And all that Dodi was doing was stating that she herself found CompuServe's new forum software to be unfriendly. That hardly constitutes "overly harsh criticism," much less a "carte blanche attach" [sic]. She never said the new software could have no value for anyone at all, only that it wasn't for her. And in any case, none of it has anything to do with any personal issues you may have had with Dodi on another forum.

--Lindsey

Peter Creasey
November 29th, 2006, 08:13 AM
any personal issues you may have had with Dodi

Lindsey, None existed (at least so far as I know) and none exist now. Some context seems appropriate given her use of certain adjectives against CIS, particularly "hostile".

As has been pointed out before by me as well as other people, there are things about the CIS design that are superior to other online systems. And, like all systems, there are some shortcomings as well.

All of course my own observations as an observer with no personal nor financial interest!

Lindsey
November 29th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Some context seems appropriate given her use of certain adjectives against CIS, particularly "hostile".
Dodi didn't say that she found CompuServe hostile, only that she found the software hostile. I took that to mean that she felt it got seriously in the way of her ability to enjoy participating in forums. Doesn't mean she was overlooking any merits the new software might have, only that for her, it doesn't outweigh what she feels are serious deficiencies.

In any event, Peter, you were out of bounds. She's entitled to her opinion, just as you are entitled to yours.

--Lindsey