PDA

View Full Version : Wonder What Happened

lensue
November 19th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Today when I clicked to this forum I wasn't recognized--first time that's ever happened--since I forgot my password I had to get a new one--from my end I did nothing new? Regards, Len [computer genius!]

davidh
November 19th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Today when I clicked to this forum I wasn't recognized--first time that's ever happened--since I forgot my password I had to get a new one--from my end I did nothing new? Regards, Len [computer genius!]

Len, This could happen if you erased your browser cookies. In, Firefox browser, for example, there is a menu command called "clear private data" that may erase cookies, among other things.

DH

lensue
November 19th, 2006, 11:17 AM
>This could happen if you erased your browser cookies<

David, thanks--however I didn't erase any cookies--I'm afraid to admit I don't even know how to do that. BTW when I just clicked to get to the forum instead of the usual recognition I was asked for my password--fortunately I now have it written down and upon supplying it got right back in. Still if there was away the computer would automatically remember me it would be better. Regards, Len

Lindsey
November 19th, 2006, 11:36 PM
David, thanks--however I didn't erase any cookies
It could be your cookie just expired -- they always have to have expiration dates, they don't last forever. And when the cookie expires, you'll be asked to log in again.

--Lindsey

lensue
November 20th, 2006, 04:12 PM
>It could be your cookie just expired -- they always have to have expiration dates<

Lindsey, thanks, I had no idea that was the case. I've been so busy of late I can hardly keep up--anyway they have come close to finishing the major work on our pond--tomorrow could be it--the water pond people are coming to put in an aerator and crushed stone path to the right of the pond and the electrician has one more light to put in--here are a few shots of what we can see from our dining room window as of now. Regards, Len

Lindsey
November 21st, 2006, 10:06 PM
they have come close to finishing the major work on our pond--tomorrow could be it
That's a very lovely pond, Len!

Where in New Jersey are you, by the way? I'm currently investigating some possible ancestors in New Jersey, who migrated there from Long Island. Some of that family ended up in South Jersey -- Burlington and Little Egg Harbor -- and at least one other member, the guy who is my primary prospect, ended up in Chester Township in Morris County.

--Lindsey

lensue
November 22nd, 2006, 03:11 PM
>Where in New Jersey are you, by the way?...the guy who is my primary prospect, ended up in Chester Township in Morris County.<

Lindsey, we're in Warren County which touches Morris County in several places--we're to the west but do alot of our shopping in Morris County. BTW Chester is a very nice town to stroll through--lots of art and antique stores--it's a very wealthy area.

Today we took a big step forward on the pond--the guys doing the work just left and we're very happy. Also we now have 4 lights but getting them adjusted is rough because you have to play with the lights at night in order to see exactly what's getting lit. And now it's cold out there at night! Regards, Len

ndebord
November 22nd, 2006, 07:22 PM
>Where in New Jersey are you, by the way?...the guy who is my primary prospect, ended up in Chester Township in Morris County.<

Lindsey, we're in Warren County which touches Morris County in several places--we're to the west but do alot of our shopping in Morris County. BTW Chester is a very nice town to stroll through--lots of art and antique stores--it's a very wealthy area.

Today we took a big step forward on the pond--the guys doing the work just left and we're very happy. Also we now have 4 lights but getting them adjusted is rough because you have to play with the lights at night in order to see exactly what's getting lit. And now it's cold out there at night! Regards, Len

The reopening of the Publick House in Chester has really helped business there which is currently experiencing a revivial. Not that it was bad, just a bit uncertain with the centerpiece closed and boarded up.

lensue
November 23rd, 2006, 11:09 AM
>The reopening of the Publick House in Chester <

Nick, I have to admit we haven't actually driven through Chester in sometime--I didn't know the Publick House had even closed! We've never eaten there but I'm glad that it's reopened--Chester definitely needs some more restaurants! Speaking about Chester restaurants can you imagine the long line today for Larrisons Turkey Farm! Regards, Len [g]

ndebord
November 23rd, 2006, 03:03 PM
>The reopening of the Publick House in Chester <

Nick, I have to admit we haven't actually driven through Chester in sometime--I didn't know the Publick House had even closed! We've never eaten there but I'm glad that it's reopened--Chester definitely needs some more restaurants! Speaking about Chester restaurants can you imagine the long line today for Larrisons Turkey Farm! Regards, Len [g]

Len,

Don't want to think about it. Let the turkeys run free!

The weather is horrible and I'm safely inside and staying there!

As for the Publick House, it used to be good American, but now it is southern Italian. They spent a lot of money fixing up the old joint. The manager told me the only thing that was in good shape were the chimneys! Millions to get it up to snuff. Good food, if a tad predictable.

lensue
November 23rd, 2006, 11:44 PM
>The weather is horrible and I'm safely inside and staying there!<

Nick, I know what you mean--our annual Thanksgiving dinner is in Brooklyn and it was a rough rainy ride in from Warren County, NJ. Unfortunately it was just as rough and rainy a ride home--still the food and gathering was worth it but I'm looking forward to 3 sunny warmer days at home right and a chance to enjoy our garden! Regards, Len

Lindsey
November 24th, 2006, 10:48 PM
we're in Warren County which touches Morris County in several places--we're to the west but do alot of our shopping in Morris County. BTW Chester is a very nice town to stroll through--lots of art and antique stores--it's a very wealthy area.
How about that -- just a hop away from you!

These guys may have gone to New Jersey for better farmland, though what little I know about them so far suggests that they were tradesmen rather than farmers. They would have been migrating in the middle of the 18th century; in the case of this particular family branch, probably in the decade or so prior to the start of the Revolution; I imagine the town was relatively new then.

Your pond is looking great! I can't wait to see what it will look like when you have it all landscaped; I can see that it is going to be lovely.

--Lindsey

Lindsey
November 24th, 2006, 10:51 PM
The reopening of the Publick House in Chester has really helped business there which is currently experiencing a revivial. Not that it was bad, just a bit uncertain with the centerpiece closed and boarded up.
That's right -- you're in New Jersey, too, aren't you? I had forgotten. It's beginning to look like I am going to have to spend some serious time in the archives there, if only to establish whether or not these are the Leeks I need to be looking at.

--Lindsey

ndebord
November 25th, 2006, 01:14 AM
>The weather is horrible and I'm safely inside and staying there!<

Nick, I know what you mean--our annual Thanksgiving dinner is in Brooklyn and it was a rough rainy ride in from Warren County, NJ. Unfortunately it was just as rough and rainy a ride home--still the food and gathering was worth it but I'm looking forward to 3 sunny warmer days at home right and a chance to enjoy our garden! Regards, Len

Len,

I either eat here in Bayonne with my brother-in-law and family or in Brooklyn, depending upon circumstance. When in Brooklyn, it is Park Slope and a group of friends going back 30 years...usually around 20 or so fine souls sitting around. This year was a family one.

<g>

lensue
November 25th, 2006, 08:44 AM
>I either eat here in Bayonne with my brother-in-law and family or in Brooklyn, depending upon circumstance. When in Brooklyn, it is Park Slope <

Nick, Park Slope is so nice--looks like Hoboken has become the Park Slope of NJ! Has Bayonne been coming up in the world--my wife and I were driving around Jersey City recently and were surprised by just how much new activity has been going on--so has it spread to Bayonne, a place I know little about. Regards, Len

lensue
November 25th, 2006, 08:50 AM
>I can't wait to see what it will look like when you have it all landscaped<

Lindsey, thanks, we can't wait for the spring when we start to add the plants--yesterday was such a lovely day here I was out there mulching some bare muddy areas and the pond people finished up by putting in an aerator so the pond doesn't completely freeze in the dead of winter--we gotta keep those 3 goldfish alive and possibly a few koi if Sue's garden club members husband can catch a few from their pond--they tried a few weeks ago but couldn't snare the frisky guys! We now have 4 outdoor lights for evening viewing. Regards, Len

ndebord
November 25th, 2006, 04:07 PM
>I either eat here in Bayonne with my brother-in-law and family or in Brooklyn, depending upon circumstance. When in Brooklyn, it is Park Slope <

Nick, Park Slope is so nice--looks like Hoboken has become the Park Slope of NJ! Has Bayonne been coming up in the world--my wife and I were driving around Jersey City recently and were surprised by just how much new activity has been going on--so has it spread to Bayonne, a place I know little about. Regards, Len

Bayonne has been a working class town forever. Home to a Navy base, later Army, which shut down in 95, it has been trying to reinvent itself. With its proximity to NYC and easy access with Light Rail (aka Trolley). Its real estate has gone steadily up, but the town itself has not managed to reinvent its shopping district back to the good old days when hundreds of sailors, later soldiers shopped on Broadway. Too early to tell what the future will bring to the town, but it does have 400 acres of prime real estate being developed slowly. The old base is now hopefully the engine for the future.

lensue
November 25th, 2006, 04:14 PM
>the town itself has not managed to reinvent its shopping district back to the good old days <

Nick, that would be wonderful if it could. BTW one time the Tapcis forum had a forum in the IronBound section of Newark--that's so close for you--were you there? Regards, Len

ndebord
November 27th, 2006, 01:09 PM
>the town itself has not managed to reinvent its shopping district back to the good old days <

Nick, that would be wonderful if it could. BTW one time the Tapcis forum had a forum in the IronBound section of Newark--that's so close for you--were you there? Regards, Len

Len,

Nope, never went into that forum. Newark is close, but another world. Have eaten happily though in the Ironbound!

:-)

lensue
November 27th, 2006, 03:42 PM
>never went into that forum<

Nick, I thought this forum was just a continuation of the old Tapcis forum? Anyway at that dinner where Judy picked out the restaurant we really feasted! BTW we're thinking of a trip into NYC and leaving the car at Journal square and taking the PATH in--do you have any thoughts on that? It's a pity we're so far out in NJ and have really poor public transportation! Regards, Len

ndebord
November 28th, 2006, 02:57 AM
>never went into that forum<

Nick, I thought this forum was just a continuation of the old Tapcis forum? Anyway at that dinner where Judy picked out the restaurant we really feasted! BTW we're thinking of a trip into NYC and leaving the car at Journal square and taking the PATH in--do you have any thoughts on that? It's a pity we're so far out in NJ and have really poor public transportation! Regards, Len

Len,

There are any number of ways to use the Path. You can park in Jersey City Journal Square or Newark Penn Sta. and take the path in from there, or you can park at Liberty State Park, catch the shuttle or park by the light rail station and take it in from there. Your two options on getting into the city are Exchange Place on the Path which takes you to WTC or Hoboken which mainly takes you along 6th Ave (Christopher, 9, 14, 23, 32/Herald Square).

The only question I would have is how safe the parking would be late at night. Although parking is more difficult in Hoboken, the town is the safest bet of them all and there is a municipal garage a few blocks up from the PATH although I no longer remember what the going rate for it is.

lensue
November 28th, 2006, 05:09 PM
>The only question I would have is how safe the parking would be late at night.<

Nick, thanks, you've pinpointed my major concern! We've done Hoboken on ocassion and it's never been a problem--Jersey City is an unknown for us and safety is of the utmost importance. Regards, Len

ndebord
November 28th, 2006, 09:42 PM
>The only question I would have is how safe the parking would be late at night.<

Nick, thanks, you've pinpointed my major concern! We've done Hoboken on ocassion and it's never been a problem--Jersey City is an unknown for us and safety is of the utmost importance. Regards, Len

Len,

Directions:

http://www.stevens.edu/undergrad/itparking.html

Fees and other such stuff:

http://www.hobokennj.org/html/parking/pg.html

This is the garage at 215 Hudson, which is only 3 blocks away from the PATH station. As for Journal Square and Penn Sta. in Newark, I would be leary late at night in either location. Same with Liberty State Park.

lensue
November 29th, 2006, 06:26 AM
>Directions:<

Nick, thanks--Hoboken sure has plenty of residential parking--good thing Manhattan doesn't have that yet--I've been fortunate to park free before the operas we go to in the lower 70's on the westside! Regards, Len

ndebord
November 29th, 2006, 10:41 AM
>Directions:<

Nick, thanks--Hoboken sure has plenty of residential parking--good thing Manhattan doesn't have that yet--I've been fortunate to park free before the operas we go to in the lower 70's on the westside! Regards, Len

Len,

Hoboken has a lot of parking, but not cheap parking. If you park on the streets, they'll give you a ticket after 3 hours I believe and the garages are expensive. If you were to do a day trip, the parking lot at the Liberty State Park Light Rail is probably the most reasonable, but it empties out after the Wall Streeters pick up their cars.

lensue
November 29th, 2006, 01:05 PM
>If you park on the streets, they'll give you a ticket after 3 hours I believe <

Nick, yes, that's what I meant by residential parking--3 hours even if I was lucky enough to find a spot in Hoboken just wouldn't do. Whereas in NYC once you get a spot it's yours until street cleaning has to be done--that's usually twice a week. Regards, Len

ndebord
November 29th, 2006, 02:41 PM
>If you park on the streets, they'll give you a ticket after 3 hours I believe <

Nick, yes, that's what I meant by residential parking--3 hours even if I was lucky enough to find a spot in Hoboken just wouldn't do. Whereas in NYC once you get a spot it's yours until street cleaning has to be done--that's usually twice a week. Regards, Len

Len,

Most of the time, I just drive into the City and park downtown somewhere. Takes a while, but I always do find a spot. The main problem with doing so is not the parking, it is those darn tunnels!

<sigh>

lensue
November 29th, 2006, 04:52 PM
>it is those darn tunnels<

Nick, of late I have found the Holland Tunnel to be nearly unbearable! Regards, Len [g]

ndebord
November 29th, 2006, 11:12 PM
>it is those darn tunnels<

Nick, of late I have found the Holland Tunnel to be nearly unbearable! Regards, Len [g]

Len,

880, 1010 and 1130 on your dial. Traffic and the weather on A.M. Radio. On the eights, on the "dime" and on the "fives." As I drive towards the Holland Tunnel, this is the auditory purgatory I subject myself to and ignore at risk of my sanity.

<weak grin>

lensue
November 30th, 2006, 08:13 AM
>this is the auditory purgatory I subject myself to and ignore at risk of my sanity. <

Nick, LOL--we'll have it on this afternoon--heading in NYC for the opera Don Carlo that starts at 7:00 at the Met--I'm sure things will be more hectic after last night's tree lighting at Rockefeller Center. Regards, Len

earler
November 30th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Don carlo is one of my favorites. Are they doing the full version, 5 acts? This opera was seldom done until rudolph bing revived it in his 1st season as gen'l manager. It was the opening night opera, too, in the autumn of 1949.

The legion of decency picketed all performances, with placards saying verdi was a communist, this because of the unflattering portrayal of the chief inquisitioner. Of course, verdi was a devout catholic throughout his life.

-er

lensue
November 30th, 2006, 10:34 AM
>Don carlo is one of my favorites. Are they doing the full version, 5 acts?<

Earle, yep, they're doing the full 5 acts of this masterpiece! And a great cast and conductor!

Don Carlo
Approximate running time 4 hrs. 35 min.
Father against son. Wife vs. mistress. Reason vs. religious fanaticism. The conflicts of this epic spectacle are as relevant today as they were at the time of the Inquisition, the setting for Verdi’s chorus-rich masterpiece. The extraordinary ensemble features Patricia Racette, Olga Borodina, Johan Botha, Dmitri Hvorostovsky, René Pape and Samuel Ramey. James Levine conducts. Regards, Len