PDA

View Full Version : reviews of music download sites ?

davidh
November 12th, 2006, 02:10 AM
I'm looking for some sites that review and compare legal music download sites. Esp. classical, folk, ethnic, and international music.

DH

lensue
November 12th, 2006, 04:46 PM
>Esp. classical<

David, I've been downloading operas and some classical music from a great site IMO--Rapidshares. What a great collection of operas I always wanted I have built up in the last several months. I just can't imagine any site being better than this. I got to it by the links from this group I joined:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/OperaShare/

Regards, Len

earler
November 13th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Interesting. However, I assume the fidelity isn't very good, no? Of course, the radio fidelity back then wasn't very good either.

I did note a message detailing performances with flagstad and melchior through 1941. But, they also did a last ring in the 1949-1950 season. I was fortunate to be able to attend those performances.

-er

lensue
November 13th, 2006, 07:05 AM
>I assume the fidelity isn't very good, no? ... I was fortunate to be able to attend those performances. <

Earle, it's definitely good enough for me--I'm not a stereo afficianado--my listening equipment is minimal but I'm getting tremedous enjoyment for practically free and esoteric works I'd never buy on my own--for example I'm getting into Fosca--not Tosca--but Fosca! [g]

Talk about performances tonight we'll be at the Met for Barber of Seville--super star Flores heads a wonderful cast! Regards, Len

earler
November 13th, 2006, 09:22 AM
I took my granddaughter to a performance of barbiere here in paris last year. It was also quite a good production with good voices. I see the met's production got a good review in today's ny times.

-er

lensue
November 13th, 2006, 09:36 AM
>I see the met's production got a good review in today's ny times<

Earle, haven't read my on/line Times yet but I'll take a look. Last week David Letterman from the CBS 11:30 TV night show had a segment of the opera on ala the old Ed Sullivan days! Regards, Len [g]

Lindsey
November 13th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Talk about performances tonight we'll be at the Met for Barber of Seville--super star Flores heads a wonderful cast! Regards, Len
Oh, shoot -- I had seen last week sometime that the cast was going to perform a scene from the opera on Letterman one night. I had meant to tune in, but I forgot all about it until I read your message just now. <sigh>

--Lindsey

lensue
November 14th, 2006, 09:42 AM
> I had meant to tune in, but I forgot all about it until I read your message just now.<

Lindsey, well I VCR'd it and also downloaded a copy in my computer--it's only 3 minutes--way too brief! [g] This site I've been talking about has it--go to http://rapidshare.com/files/2610531/barber.avi and I think you should be able to download it. Last nights performance was very good indeed--a more modern set which I question a little but some wonderful singing--Flores was just absolutely incredible!!! Regards, Len

Lindsey
November 15th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Thanks, Len -- I'll give that a try!

--Lindsey

lensue
November 16th, 2006, 07:23 AM
>I'll give that a try<

Lindsey, hope it works for you--the Met is doing a lot of new things since Gelb, former president of Sony, took over. The Met is now linked up with SIRIUS radio for live and old performances and will offer some live performances at selected movie houses. Regards, Len