PDA

View Full Version : AVG Free V7.5 now available!

Peter Creasey
November 5th, 2006, 08:08 AM
I just learned about and was able to install the latest AVG Free package...Version 7.5. Downloading and executing the AVG Free V7.5 setup software then using the <repair> option was a painless and seemless way to upgrade from V7.1. At the end, the emergency alert appears so that you know to run the AVG system update so as to get the files current.

ndebord
November 5th, 2006, 08:20 AM
I just learned about and was able to install the latest AVG Free package...Version 7.5. Downloading and executing the AVG Free V7.5 setup software then using the <repair> option was a painless and seemless way to upgrade from V7.1. At the end, the emergency alert appears so that you know to run the AVG system update so as to get the files current.

Peter,

And an excellent, and low resource anti-virus app it is too! If you do have problems with the install, the advice is to uninstall AVG 7.1 and then do a fresh install, but I too had no problems with doing the "repair" upgrade.

davidh
November 5th, 2006, 11:40 PM
I did the "repair" upgrade from 7.1 to 7.5.

I noted that version 7.1 of AVG will retire/expire in Jan 2007 time frame.

DH

earler
November 6th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Yes, no need to uninstall avg. It will upgrade to the new version quite readily.

-er

Guerri Stevens
November 6th, 2006, 06:01 AM
**Where** did you get the new version? I still had, I think, 7.0. I hunted all over for a new free version, and never could get to the proper location within their web site. I downloaded 7.5, but when I tried to install, it asked for a serial number (I forget the wording). I gave it the number from my old free version, but that was declared to be incorrect, and the install would go no further. I suspect that I downloaded the non-free version, but in that case I would have expected to be asked for payment before the download.

Finally I used my CD to install the old version on my new computer, ignoring the dire warning message about it. The software installed OK, and then requested the running of several updates. Finally, I got a message that the free version will be discontinued as of January 2007 and pointing me to a site where I could, presumably, purchase the non-free version.

So - are they going to continue distributing a free version after all?

earler
November 6th, 2006, 07:29 AM
When you reinstall avg 7.5 over 7.0 it picks up the serial number for the earlier version. Here is an address to download it:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/AVG_AntiVirus_Free/1028312263/1

-er

Peter Creasey
November 6th, 2006, 08:08 AM
**Where** did you get the new version?

Guerri, One source would be the AVG 7.5 Free Webpage (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5#avg-anti-virus-free) . As stated earlier, the <repair> option makes the upgrade seamless.

Guerri Stevens
November 6th, 2006, 11:21 AM
When you reinstall avg 7.5 over 7.0 it picks up the serial number for the earlier version. Here is an address to download it:

Thanks very much for that information. I will give it a try.