PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Back Button

douglaswmartin
November 1st, 2006, 03:52 AM
Judy,

How are you?

For some reason, the back button (top left on the toolbar) has stopped working on Mozilla. The little button beneath it works OK but <Alt - left arrow> doesn't function either. It's not disastrous but it's annoying.

The only change I've made is to add the IE Tab add-on; would this have affected my settings somehow?

- Douglas.
[London Forum - now on Yahoo!]

earler
November 1st, 2006, 05:54 AM
The ie tab add-on won't cause that. What version of firefox are you using?

-er

douglaswmartin
November 1st, 2006, 12:53 PM
Hello Earle.

I have Mozilla 1.7.11

- Douglas

Judy G. Russell
November 1st, 2006, 11:58 PM
Douglas, I'm no longer using Mozilla but I seem to recall that this was an issue with setting the history at 0. In addition, however, I see that some people are having problems caused by installing extensions. You can try uninstalling, then reinstalling, and see if that helps.

douglaswmartin
November 2nd, 2006, 02:05 AM
Judy,

I have a pre-installation version of Mozilla to which I've now reverted. None of the toolbar buttons work in the post-add-on version.

Which program are you using now?

- Douglas.

Judy G. Russell
November 2nd, 2006, 09:40 PM
I have a pre-installation version of Mozilla to which I've now reverted. None of the toolbar buttons work in the post-add-on version.Try completely uninstalling, rebooting and then reinstalling. Sometimes that fixes things.

Which program are you using now?Firefox. I have always used a separate program for email, so all I need is a browser, and Firefox is everything I could want in a browser.

davidh
November 3rd, 2006, 01:24 PM
I have a pre-installation version of Mozilla to which I've now reverted. None of the toolbar buttons work in the post-add-on version.

I have a very old version of Mozilla (1.1) installed but not in use. It does NOT allow customization of the navigation tool bar. Perhaps Mozilla 1.7 does? At least Firefox does allow customization of the that toolbar. If such customization is possible with Mozilla 1.7, then it might be worth trying to remove one of the buttons and then restore it back to the toolbar. If such an experiment restores the functionality of that particular button, then perhaps the other buttons could be restored similarly. As I say, I don't even know if this works at all with any version of Mozilla. YMMV, DH

Lindsey
November 3rd, 2006, 10:13 PM
I have a very old version of Mozilla (1.1) installed but not in use. It does NOT allow customization of the navigation tool bar. Perhaps Mozilla 1.7 does?
Yes, Edit | Preferences | Navigator allows you to choose what buttons you want on the toolbar.

Sometimes I have a problem with the "Back" button working in Mozilla -- usually on the NY Times web site, after reading one of the TimesSelect columns, but those columns don't always give me that problem. Sometimes Back works, and sometimes it doesn't. In any event, when the Back button won't back me out, even after clicking on it a couple of times, I get around it by using the Go menu and selecting which page I want to go back to. That always works.

--Lindsey

davidh
November 4th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Yes, Edit | Preferences | Navigator allows you to choose what buttons you want on the toolbar.

That works in Mozilla 1.1 too. I just didn't know how to do it. I was trying to right-click on the toolbar as if it were Firefox. :p

DH

MollyM/CA
November 4th, 2006, 08:34 PM
You wouldn't be interested in taking a look at SeaMonkey, would you? It's the continuing version of Mozilla, with updated security stuff, and I like it even better than Mozilla --to which it's nearly identical in most ways. Read about it

here (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/releases/seamonkey1.0.5/)

douglaswmartin
November 7th, 2006, 06:02 AM
I have always used a separate program for email, so all I need is a browser, and Firefox is everything I could want in a browser.

Judy,

Which email program do you use?

- Douglas.

douglaswmartin
November 7th, 2006, 06:06 AM

--Lindsey

Lindsey,

I can see where to change Bookmarks, Go, Home, Search and Print but not Back, Forward, Reload or Stop.

I think I'll have a look at Seamonkey, as Molly suggests.

- Douglas.

douglaswmartin
November 7th, 2006, 06:09 AM
You wouldn't be interested in taking a look at SeaMonkey, would you?

Molly,

Yes, thank you. I'll have a look.

- Douglas.

Lindsey
November 7th, 2006, 10:17 PM
I can see where to change Bookmarks, Go, Home, Search and Print but not Back, Forward, Reload or Stop.
Ah! Right, I forgot the Back button was the one you were trying to delete. Those navigation buttons look like a permanent fixture.

I hope SeaMonkey works out better for you!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
November 8th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Which email program do you use?I use Eudora now but will probably end up switching to Thunderbird, another Mozilla product.

Mike
November 8th, 2006, 07:40 PM
I use Eudora now but will probably end up switching to Thunderbird, another Mozilla product.
And you may be able to get the best of both worlds...

http://eudora.com/press/2006/eudora-mozilla_final_10.11.06.html

Dan in Saint Louis
November 8th, 2006, 10:16 PM
I use Eudora now but will probably end up switching to Thunderbird, another Mozilla product.
TB2 is in alpha testing. The beta test is about to go public -- it will be interesting to see what features have been added. (Current release is 1.5.0.8)

ndebord
November 8th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Judy,

How are you?

For some reason, the back button (top left on the toolbar) has stopped working on Mozilla. The little button beneath it works OK but <Alt - left arrow> doesn't function either. It's not disastrous but it's annoying.

The only change I've made is to add the IE Tab add-on; would this have affected my settings somehow?

- Douglas.
[London Forum - now on Yahoo!]

Douglas,

One thing you can try is to load a newer version of the Mozilla Suite on top of your current one and see if that fixes the issue. Mozilla Suite's last official release was 1.7.1.3

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/releases/mozilla1.7.13/mozilla-win32-1.7.13-installer.exe

douglaswmartin
November 9th, 2006, 02:34 AM
Douglas,

One thing you can try is to load a newer version of the Mozilla Suite on top of your current one and see if that fixes the issue. Mozilla Suite's last official release was 1.7.1.3

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/releases/mozilla1.7.13/mozilla-win32-1.7.13-installer.exe

N,

I've now installed new, separate versions of Firefox and Thunderbird and consigned the old Mozilla suite to the historical archive. I've also added FireFTP, which is superb.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and be wary of IETab.

- Douglas.

douglaswmartin
November 9th, 2006, 02:50 AM

Judy,

I've dumped Mozilla and installed new versions of Firefox and Thunderbird, which represents a considerable improvement. Having plunged into ordure via IETab, I have emerged bearing the fragrance of roses.

Thanks for the advice.

- Douglas.

Judy G. Russell
November 11th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Glad to hear you have everything up and running and it's an improvement for you, Doug!

Judy G. Russell
November 11th, 2006, 01:02 PM
And you may be able to get the best of both worlds...
http://eudora.com/press/2006/eudora-mozilla_final_10.11.06.htmlI saw that! It will be most interesting to see what the open source product looks like.

Judy G. Russell
November 11th, 2006, 01:03 PM
TB2 is in alpha testing. The beta test is about to go public -- it will be interesting to see what features have been added. (Current release is 1.5.0.8)Keep me posted, if you will. I'd appreciate it.

Dan in Saint Louis
November 11th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Keep me posted, if you will. I'd appreciate it.
Looks like (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/roadmap.html) it ought to settle down about February.