View Full Version : How to unroll old photo?

June 12th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Lindsey, especially (do I correctly remember an interest in ancestors?), my husband found a treasured photo of my dad with his cavalry troupe among his old photos. It is at least 18" long and has been rolled up for years (it's been missing for years, that rat). Have you ever had to deal with an old rolled-up photo? I'm sure it will crack or even break all the way through into pieces if I just try to force it, but I don't know what to do to make it un-rollable.

Anyone with a suggestion or a link, I'd love to hear of it.

Dan in Saint Louis
June 12th, 2005, 04:19 PM
make it un-rollable
Unless you have a print dryer at home, I'd take it to a local photo lab. They will probably suggest soaking it a PhotoFlo (wetting agent) solution, gently unrolling it, and drying it on a flat press.

Judy G. Russell
June 12th, 2005, 06:43 PM
I could not agree more with Dan: take it to the pros. This is the kind of thing where (a) they know what they're doing and (b) you'll never forgive yourself if anything goes wrong while you're trying to do it yourself.

June 12th, 2005, 09:39 PM
I agree with both Dan and Judy: take it to a local photo studio, preferably one that has been around for a while (and thus may have experience in dealing with old archival photographs). Almost certainly you're going to need to soak it , but when you're dealing with something that is irreplaceable, you don't want to chance messing it up by giving it anything short of expert handling.