PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 2.0 Out Now!!!

Mike Landi
October 23rd, 2006, 02:34 PM
Heads up all Firefox fans! FF 2.0 is OUT NOW! Check Mozilla FTP Site (http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/win32/en-US/)

If you use extensions, check for updates more than once. It took me three times before all my extensions were updated. So far, only FasterFox and SpellBound were not updated. SpellBound is a moot point now since FF has spellchecking built in (and it looks exactly like SpellBound...I wonder where it came from? <g>). I assume FasterFox will be updated soon. Configuration Mania did update, and so did FireFTP, ForecastFox, IEView and IETab.

So far....(ten minutes)...so good! :D

ktinkel
October 23rd, 2006, 03:03 PM
Heads up all Firefox fans! FF 2.0 is OUT NOW! Only the Windows version, I gather.

I checked with my Mac, and the closest I could find was 2.0 RC 3.

Mike Landi
October 23rd, 2006, 03:30 PM
Only the Windows version, I gather.

I checked with my Mac, and the closest I could find was 2.0 RC 3.

Nope. The whole package is out. Check here (http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/mac/en-US/) for the Mac version.

ktinkel
October 23rd, 2006, 03:51 PM
Nope. The whole package is out. Check here (http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/mac/en-US/) for the Mac version.Thanks. Appreciate the extra effort (I thought I had searched diligently, but . . . ).

Judy G. Russell
October 23rd, 2006, 05:22 PM
FF has spellchecking built in...Oooooh... off to update NOW!!! (Thought it was due out tomorrow, but I guess it's tomorrow somewhere already!)

Judy G. Russell
October 23rd, 2006, 05:39 PM
Totally painless install. Lookin' gooooood...

Mike Landi
October 23rd, 2006, 09:13 PM
<blush>

No problem.

Mike Landi
October 23rd, 2006, 09:13 PM
It does look good. Lots of 'spit and polish'. <g>

ktinkel
October 24th, 2006, 08:12 AM
(Thought it was due out tomorrow, but I guess it's tomorrow somewhere already!)According to Kelvyn the official release is today (Tuesday). This was a premature release that has some at Mozilla annoyed.

He referred us to a blog (http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/preed/2006/10/the_antirelease.html) of a Firefox build engineer for elaboration. And that links to another blog (http://www.beltzner.ca/mike/archives/2006/10/23/its_not_like_were_ashamed.html) on the same topic.

Whether this means we should do it again this afternoon I do not know!

Mike Landi
October 24th, 2006, 09:00 AM
I looked at the file again and it is the same as yesterday. I think someone uploaded a tad early. <g>

Judy G. Russell
October 24th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Whether this means we should do it again this afternoon I do not know!It may be that what we got was a preview release... but it's still verrrrry nice. And since the file is so small (less than 6Mb), I'm willing to do it as often as need be. (But there's nothing new up today, and nothing in terms of announcements etc. on the Mozilla site.)

Judy G. Russell
October 24th, 2006, 04:10 PM
It does look good. Lots of 'spit and polish'. <g>And if it does turn out that this is a pre-release, I'll be most interested to see what the final release changes!

sidney
October 24th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Whether this means we should do it again this afternoon I do not know!

I don't know if you got an out of date one, but it is official now on the http://mozilla.com/ home page.

By the way, there is a quirk in the Mac version you should know about. Version 1.5 has click-and-hold to get the right-click context menu. That violates the Mac UI guidelines, as well as there being some bugs associated with the click-and-hold code that would have been difficult to fix, so click-and-hold has been removed from version 2 except on the right and left navigation arrow toolbar buttons. So you now have to use control-click if you have a one button mouse.

Since I have a trackpad, I configure two-finger gestures (added in Mac OS 10.4.8) for the trackpad in System Preferences which makes it even easier than click-an-hold to get a context menu... I just rest two fingertips on the trackpad while I click.

-- sidney

ktinkel
October 24th, 2006, 08:00 PM
IBy the way, there is a quirk in the Mac version you should know about. Version 1.5 has click-and-hold to get the right-click context menu. That violates the Mac UI guidelines, as well as there being some bugs associated with the click-and-hold code that would have been difficult to fix, so click-and-hold has been removed from version 2 except on the right and left navigation arrow toolbar buttons. So you now have to use control-click if you have a one button mouse.Thank you!

I had already discovered this problem, but not the solution. It was annoying, as I often use that trick to snag URLs for posting.

Merci, merci, merci boucoups! :)

Mike Landi
October 24th, 2006, 09:03 PM
I think it is the same version.

Want to take bets on how long it will be before 2.01 comes out? <g>

BTW, the evil empire is already promoting IE7 as the latest, greatest thing...complete with features that FF has had for a year.

Judy G. Russell
October 24th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Want to take bets on how long it will be before 2.01 comes out? <g>About a week, I'd bet... Maybe 10 days.

BTW, the evil empire is already promoting IE7 as the latest, greatest thing...complete with features that FF has had for a year.I've heard the ads. They're really obnoxious.

Mike Landi
October 25th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Ain't it great that it is not available for Windows 2000? Gotta get Vista to get IE7.

I have seen zero that makes me want to look at Vista, and IE7 is not going to help that at all. Now, I wonder how long it will take M$FT to announce the death of Win2k and that the only upgrade path will be Vista, skipping WinXP?

ktinkel
October 25th, 2006, 10:49 AM
I think it is the same version.I had a weird problem with FF 2 this morning — a horizontal white rectangle, about a quarter-inch high by 4 inches, overlay the top of the browser screen. Nothing would dislodge it, including refreshing the screen.

I quit and restarted and it was gone.

Mike Landi
October 25th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Odd...

...that's all that has gone wrong so far, you're doing well! <g>

davidh
October 25th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Heads up all Firefox fans! FF 2.0 is OUT NOW! Check Mozilla FTP Site (http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/win32/en-US/)

I'm running FF 2.0 on Win 98.

McAfee SiteAdvisor FF extension no longer crashes my FF.

NoScript is now at version 1.1.4.5 and seems more stable when I compose Yahoo webmail with the old Yahoo webmail composer.

YMMV,

DH

Judy G. Russell
October 25th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Ain't it great that it is not available for Windows 2000? Gotta get Vista to get IE7.... Now, I wonder how long it will take M$FT to announce the death of Win2k and that the only upgrade path will be Vista, skipping WinXP?Oh geez... I've paid so little attention to IE7 that I wasn't even aware it wasn't available for W2K. And I see nothing that suggests I should go to Vista at all.

ktinkel
October 25th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Odd...

...that's all that has gone wrong so far, you're doing well! <g>Well, I ain’t crying! :)

Mike
October 26th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the advice about getting all the extensions updated. Unfortunately, a couple that I use have not been released for Ffox 2, like Live HTTP Headers and TargetAlert, but I'll survive. :-)

davidh
October 26th, 2006, 12:41 PM
FYI: McAfee SiteAdvisor button does NOT show green in FireFox 2.0. Apparently this fact might be because of the following:

"We found 1 sign-up form and testing is in progress."

as seen in the cut and paste from SiteAdvisor site, following.

Makes me wonder whether Siteadvisor might have attempted to register for access to member area and now be waiting for some reply ? I don't remember what sign up forms might be present on TAPCIS.com.

tapcis.com
Green Verdict Image

We tested this site and didn't find any significant problems.

Are you the owner of this site? Leave a comment
Contact information: Established in Country

United States

Automated Web Safety Testing Results for tapcis.com
e-mail tests for tapcis.com:

We found 1 sign-up form and testing is in progress.
Download tests for tapcis.com:

No downloads tested

We have not tested any downloads on this site.

* Submit a download for analysis

Online affiliations for tapcis.com:
Link Graph

Links to green sites

Most of this site's links are to sites which are safe or which have only minor safety/annoyance issues.

UNQUOTE

fhaber
October 26th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Can't find it. NBD, since I carry a mini-mouse most everywhere, but where is this, "lay two fingers on the trackpad"=convert_click_to_rightclick option? Can't find it under system_options|mouse&kb|trackpad. Or does it appear only on Intel Macs, or when you unplug your mouse?

ktinkel
October 26th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Can't find it. NBD, since I carry a mini-mouse most everywhere, but where is this, "lay two fingers on the trackpad"=convert_click_to_rightclick option? Can't find it under system_options|mouse&kb|trackpad. Or does it appear only on Intel Macs, or when you unplug your mouse?I don’t know anything about that (or about Intel Macs).

Using the Control key isn’t that onerous. So far.

sidney
October 26th, 2006, 05:57 PM
where is this, "lay two fingers on the trackpad"=convert_click_to_rightclick option? Can't find it under system_options|mouse&kb|trackpad

It was introduced with the Mac OS 10.4.8 update. I'm attaching a screenshot of the window. I have tapping-click (the "Clicking" checkbox) turned off. When that is on, the option for clicking button with two fingers on pad turns into an option for getting right-click by tapping two fingers on pad.

By the way, if you have a trackpad and don't know about the two-finger scroll gesture, you should try it. I think, but I'm not sure, that it was introduced to the trackpad options before 10.4.8. It allows you to scroll by simply dragging two fingers on the trackpad, working just like a mousewheel.

-- sidney

fhaber
October 26th, 2006, 06:37 PM
At least that explains it. On my iBook12, with 10.4.8, that option is simply not there. Wait a minute!!! Finder|about shows 10.4.6. Perhaps it's time to run the compendium update, and not the incremental?

(And yes, the 2-finger drag is brilliant. I do use it, when I'm not using the mouse, which is seldom.)

ktinkel
October 26th, 2006, 08:15 PM
It was introduced with the Mac OS 10.4.8 update. I'm attaching a screenshot of the window. I have tapping-click (the "Clicking" checkbox) turned off. When that is on, the option for clicking button with two fingers on pad turns into an option for getting right-click by tapping two fingers on pad.

By the way, if you have a trackpad and don't know about the two-finger scroll gesture, you should try it. I think, but I'm not sure, that it was introduced to the trackpad options before 10.4.8. It allows you to scroll by simply dragging two fingers on the trackpad, working just like a mousewheel.

-- sidneyAh. It is about all that difficulty of using the track pad. I have always found that difficult, and I guess I have been oblivious. My solution is to use a good old mouse.

Sorry if I confused anyone.

sidney
October 26th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Finder|about shows 10.4.6. Perhaps it's time to run the compendium update, and not the incremental?

That's strange... I just use Software Update from the Apple menu and that got me 10.4.8, both on my MacBook and the G5 iMac at school.

Judy G. Russell
October 26th, 2006, 10:48 PM
There is a registration form, and it does need to be filled out. There's no "approval" process for the open forums, so I don't know what it could be waiting for.

davidh
October 26th, 2006, 11:46 PM
There is a registration form, and it does need to be filled out. There's no "approval" process for the open forums, so I don't know what it could be waiting for. I think they wait a certain period of time to see how much spam they get in response.

DH

ktinkel
October 27th, 2006, 01:39 PM
By the way, if you have a trackpad and don't know about the two-finger scroll gesture, you should try it. I think, but I'm not sure, that it was introduced to the trackpad options before 10.4.8. It allows you to scroll by simply dragging two fingers on the trackpad, working just like a mousewheel.Thanks. My laptop has a trackpad, but I haven’t been using that computer much and it is still on an older OS version.

That’s why this is all greek to me! Now I must go look into it — I have always hated what happens with that dratted thing if I forget and use two fingers!

Judy G. Russell
October 27th, 2006, 11:17 PM
I think they wait a certain period of time to see how much spam they get in response.Well, they sure don't have to worry about us!

davidh
October 28th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Well, they sure don't have to worry about us! I think that some sites ( e.g. http://chabad.org ) get a somewhat unmerited "yellow" rating from SiteAdvisor because they have a number of sign ups for daily and weekly email lessons and readings.

DH