PDA

View Full Version : screen readers and naturalreader

davidh
October 22nd, 2006, 11:14 PM
naturalreader.com has a free text doc reader. Versions with "natural voices" seem to be reasonably priced.

I was thinking that with so many classics, etc. now available free on the Internet because of expired copyrights or public domain status or other free licences, it might be worth trying to put some of these books onto MP3 or WMA CD's for playing while traveling, etc.

Has anybody tried some of these types of programs? What results?

I noticed also that RealPlayer Plus lists JAWS (screen reader) software among it's optional system requirements. I assume that optional requirement is for the sake of those who might wish to burn MP3 or WMA tracks on CD's?

BTW, I had thought that it required special CD burning software to burn MP3 tracks to CD's for MP3 CD players. However, my latest effort in making a MP3 CD, I just dragged the 3 folders I happened to have with MP3 files in them into the destination window with a quite old version of CD burning software that came with my Win 98 system back in 99 to make a DATA DISK and my Philips portable CD player handled it fine and each folder became an album with no sweat. Have MP3 disks ALWAYS been DATA CD's, or were there earlier MP3 players that somehow played MP3 files only as "tracks" as opposed to "files"? I'm pretty much a A/V newbie as far as CD's and DVD's go. (I still remember playing my Dad's 78 rpm records years ago.)

DH

sidney
October 23rd, 2006, 09:24 AM
Have MP3 disks ALWAYS been DATA CD's, or were there earlier MP3 players that somehow played MP3 files only as "tracks" as opposed to "files"?

As it became more popular for people to put mp3 files on data CDs to play on their computers (thereby fitting about 10 times as much music as an audio CD) and as the cost of the electronics came down, more and more CD and DVD player manufacturers added the ability to play MP3 files from data CDs.

-- sidney

davidh
October 24th, 2006, 12:08 PM
oops.

naturalreaders.com

DH

davidh
October 24th, 2006, 01:32 PM
free version is just a demo, only reads short passages.

Voices are available in french, german, spanish, UK

each voice download is about 600 MB so purchase online needs broadband

DH

davidh
November 16th, 2006, 10:49 AM
World eBook Library Consortia Collection

Mp3 eBook Library Collection
All Audio eBooks are in the Mp3 file format.

Titles of Great Literature and the Human Voice

1. Gutenberg Human Voice Audio eBook Collection (33 Mp3 files)
2. Gutenberg Computer Voice Audio eBook Collection (2,210 Mp3 files)
3. Baen eBooks Audio Sample Chapters Collection (22 Mp3 files)
4. The Sound of Literary Works Collection (130 Mp3 files)

http://worldebookfair.com/Mp3eBooks.htm

DH