PDA

View Full Version : sanskrit texts, tools and fonts

davidh
June 12th, 2005, 07:08 AM
http://sanskrit.gde.to

There are (8-bit, non UNICODE) fonts and programs that will allow one to paste quotations in sanskrit into legacy word processing programs such as MS Word 6 or Wordpad (Write).

UNICODE support probably requires Windows 2000 or higher.

I haven't yet found a site that has lists of equivalent pithy sayings (sutras?) in both sanskrit and latin (or greek).

I don't have my old Larousse handy or I'd toss on a Latin saying or two.

David H.

Judy G. Russell
June 12th, 2005, 08:16 AM
I don't have my old Larousse handy or I'd toss on a Latin saying or two.
Illegitimis non carborundum?

davidh
June 12th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Actually I had someting in mind along the lines of

Omnia vincit amor

or

Omnia vincit veritas

David H.

Judy G. Russell
June 12th, 2005, 09:00 AM
I'm a bit heartsore this morning for either of those. Our family lost a youngster (daughter of my cousin) -- not yet 30 -- last night. Neither love nor truth is helping today.

davidh
June 12th, 2005, 12:19 PM
And yet may it be, according to the conceptions of some ancient traditions, that a spirit of truth also be a consoler to the members of your family.

David H.

P.S.
Perhaps ironically or not, perhaps coincidentally or not, the only public forum section still accessible by HMI or old web view is the Prayer Petition section of the catholic forum. The 'go' URL was broken for a while so a different URL had been required, but the 'go' URL seemed to be working again today. I don't have CIS membership so could not test TAPCIS on it.

Judy G. Russell
June 12th, 2005, 12:48 PM
And yet may it be, according to the conceptions of some ancient traditions, that a spirit of truth also be a consoler to the members of your family.
We can certainly hope for that...

rlohmann
June 12th, 2005, 02:00 PM
I don't have my old Larousse handy or I'd toss on a Latin saying or two.I've found Illigitimi non carborundum to be appropriate for most occasions.

rlohmann
June 12th, 2005, 02:01 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. You have my condolences.

Judy G. Russell
June 12th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Thanks, Ralph. This one really hurts. When the phone rang, and I heard my cousin's tone of voice, I really expected to hear that an ailing uncle, well into his 80s, was gone. I did not expect to hear about this youngster...

Judy G. Russell
June 12th, 2005, 06:48 PM
GMTA.

rlohmann
June 15th, 2005, 04:55 PM
<bowing graciously> :)