PDA

View Full Version : Windows automatic updates lack of coverage

davidh
October 14th, 2006, 05:04 AM
I only now learned the following about Windows XP (because I normally still use the unsupported Windows 98):

Windows XP Automatic Updates apparently does NOT update your XP PC with all high priority updates. Perhaps just critical security updates.

I found this out by going to the windowsupdate site AFTER having made sure that XP Automatic Updates (namely current Oct patches) had been DL'd and installed. The site told me that there was a high priority update for dot Net Framework version 1.0. Apparently there was some kind of security hole in dot Net Framework version 1.0. It actually took two (2) separate updates to finish off the "high priority" updates. After which, the site gave me the opportunity to upgrade to dot Net (.Net) versions 1.1 or 2.0, among various choices of updates of other Microsoft softwares residing on the PC (my sister's).

Windows Update site also recommended trying "Microsoft Update" to update all my Microsoft software. I decided not to risk it since my sister's PC has Wordperfect Suite of some kind installed instead of MS Office programs.

Even tho' I'm a jerk, I don't like being treated like one. TGIF I don't have carpel tunnel yet, but I think I'm getting MS/hitech whiplash :(

DH