PDA

View Full Version : Eudora throws in the towel, future is Thunderbird

ndebord
October 12th, 2006, 05:17 PM
http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2006/10/eudora_goes_ope.html

San Diego's Qualcomm has announced that the next version of its Eudora email client is going to be released as a free, open source application built upon the same code as Mozilla Thunderbird. Programmers from both Qualcomm and the Mozilla Foundation will work together to develop future versions of the client.

Judy G. Russell
October 12th, 2006, 09:43 PM
I'm hoping Qualcomm means it when they say: "Future versions of Eudora will be free and open source, while retaining Eudora's uniquely rich feature set and productivity enhancements." There's one feature I use constantly in Eudora -- the ability to highlight part of a message, hit reply and have only that part of the message imported into the reply. I'd hate to lose that.

Mike
October 13th, 2006, 12:38 AM
...the ability to highlight part of a message, hit reply and have only that part of the message imported into the reply. I'd hate to lose that.
There's an extension (http://quickquote.mozdev.org/) to provide that capability in T-bird. Note that it only works with the "reply" and "reply all" buttons, not with the Ctrl-R/Ctrl-Shift-R keystrokes.

Judy G. Russell
October 13th, 2006, 09:43 AM
There's an extension (http://quickquote.mozdev.org/) to provide that capability in T-bird. Note that it only works with the "reply" and "reply all" buttons, not with the Ctrl-R/Ctrl-Shift-R keystrokes.That's good to know, Mike. I suppose with this news I'd better start the process of transitioning to TBird. Does it import from Eudora neatly?

ndebord
October 13th, 2006, 06:10 PM
That's good to know, Mike. I suppose with this news I'd better start the process of transitioning to TBird. Does it import from Eudora neatly?

Judy,

Without waiting for the new Penelope thingee, this thread says it is not that hard to import Eudora into Thunderbird.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_from_Eudora_%28Thunderbird%29

Judy G. Russell
October 13th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Without waiting for the new Penelope thingee, this thread says it is not that hard to import Eudora into Thunderbird.Hmmm... I would definitely have to have it NOT try to re-attach attachments...

davidh
October 14th, 2006, 04:25 AM
Hmmm... I would definitely have to have it NOT try to re-attach attachments... I would hope that Eudora has not treated the HTML parts of messages as attachments (as TAPCIS used to do, for probably unrelated reasons, for example), otherwise you would probably very much want to re-attach attachments. I've never used Eudora seriously, so really don't know anything about this, though.

DH

davidh
October 14th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Judy,

Without waiting for the new Penelope thingee, this thread says it is not that hard to import Eudora into Thunderbird.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_from_Eudora_%28Thunderbird%29

BTW, Nick,

I was too lazy ever to try converting Foxmail (nothing to do with Firefox, for lurkers) to MBOX format compatible with Eudora, Netscape, Mozilla, TBird, Pegasus, etc. But I finally did upgrade from Foxmail 4 to 5 to get SSL POP3 so I can DL my google mail directly instead of forwarding it to my ISP (Earthlink) which has regular (non-SSL) POP3. One thing that I lost that I miss a little is the option in Foxmail 4 of opening HTML email in either MS IE or my default browser (Firefox). Version 5 of Foxmail forces me to use MS IE (it's "under the hood" but it's really MS IE in there). The apparent reason that Foxmail took away the choice of browsers is that version 5 (and presumably 6) now has it's own HTML rendering (in addition to the "under the hood" MS IE HTML rendering of HTML part of msg). Too bad, it's own rendering is rather sloppy. Whether this lack of good rendering has anything to do with the fact that Foxmail is probably used more by chinese (i.e. non-ASCII whatever) than non-chinese, I don't know.

DH

Judy G. Russell
October 14th, 2006, 08:33 PM
I would hope that Eudora has not treated the HTML parts of messages as attachmentsNope, not the HTML, but the actual attachments (if you sent a PDF file with the email, for example). I often move them to other parts of my computer and out of the special folder Eudora uses, so I wouldn't want TBird sitting there trying to find attachments that now aren't in the attachments folder -- plus I don't need a message file that's HUGE as it incorporates all those attachments!

ndebord
October 14th, 2006, 10:18 PM
BTW, Nick,

I was too lazy ever to try converting Foxmail (nothing to do with Firefox, for lurkers) to MBOX format compatible with Eudora, Netscape, Mozilla, TBird, Pegasus, etc. But I finally did upgrade from Foxmail 4 to 5 to get SSL POP3 so I can DL my google mail directly instead of forwarding it to my ISP (Earthlink) which has regular (non-SSL) POP3. One thing that I lost that I miss a little is the option in Foxmail 4 of opening HTML email in either MS IE or my default browser (Firefox). Version 5 of Foxmail forces me to use MS IE (it's "under the hood" but it's really MS IE in there). The apparent reason that Foxmail took away the choice of browsers is that version 5 (and presumably 6) now has it's own HTML rendering (in addition to the "under the hood" MS IE HTML rendering of HTML part of msg). Too bad, it's own rendering is rather sloppy. Whether this lack of good rendering has anything to do with the fact that Foxmail is probably used more by chinese (i.e. non-ASCII whatever) than non-chinese, I don't know.

DH

David,

I tried 4.1, 5.0 and 6.0 (beta) and went back to 3.11 (which I moved to after 1.6 and then 2.1). It does not have SSL though and it still has the ability to open in IE or your browser. Just didn't like the newer versions of Foxmail. Am looking around now for a substitute. A new version of Calipyso called Courier, "might" do the job.

Dan in Saint Louis
October 15th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Nope, not the HTML, but the actual attachments (if you sent a PDF file with the email, for example).
As best I recall, I located the Eudora Inbox etc and made copies named OldInbox, lah-di-dah.

Put those folders in the same place as the new TB Inbox, Sent, Drafts, etc in my TB profile folder and the next time TB was started the "Old" folders appeared as regular mailboxes.

Then I dragged the messages I wanted keep into the "official" TB folders. {Ctrl-A} works, as does {Ctrl-click} for selecting multiple messages.

For a friend who keeps way too much, I made new TB mail folders called 2001, 2002, 2003 ....... and dragged his old messages into those.

In all cases, the attachments did not come along nor did they create any trouble.

Judy G. Russell
October 15th, 2006, 07:45 PM
That sounds very good, Dan. Thanks!

Mike
October 16th, 2006, 01:48 AM
Does it import from Eudora neatly?
It worked beautifully for me, Judy. Everything was imported as I'd expected. Note that Eudora Nicknames will go into a different T-bird Address Book than the default, but unless there are collisions with any names you add directly, it won't cause a problem (like Eudora, T-bird allows typing a few letters of the name, and then it shows the matches it finds in ANY address book).

Note that I did NOT tell it to try to reattach attachments. I left them alone. OTOH, I really like the T-bird method of retaining the attachment within the message until I'm ready to delete it, or whatever.

Judy G. Russell
October 16th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Note that I did NOT tell it to try to reattach attachments. I left them alone. OTOH, I really like the T-bird method of retaining the attachment within the message until I'm ready to delete it, or whatever.I wouldn't mind having the attachments with the email, but I don't want that to be done retroactively.

Mike
October 17th, 2006, 01:50 AM
I wouldn't mind having the attachments with the email, but I don't want that to be done retroactively.
Then you'd be pleased with an import from Eudora to T-bird. :)

Judy G. Russell
October 17th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Then you'd be pleased with an import from Eudora to T-bird. :)I assume I can install TBird, tell it to import from Eudora and then keep using Eudora with all my settings and files intact if I chose, yes?

davidh
October 17th, 2006, 06:04 PM
I assume I can install TBird, tell it to import from Eudora and then keep using Eudora with all my settings and files intact if I chose, yes?
For those considering switching email programs, it may be helpful to decide whether the ability to create "virtual folders" is something worth looking into.

In the case of web mail, for example, google mail lets one create something that is sort of like a virtual folder, by setting some search criteria that cause messages satisfying the search criteria to be included in the desired group or collection of messages.

Perhaps the main benefit of this approach is that a message that one wishes to include in more than one category can be so grouped WITHOUT having to make an additional copy of the message.

I only use Thunderbird very seldom and do not know if it has such a feature.

I suspect that Pegasus may have such a feature, but I haven't used it in so long that I can't remember clearly.

DH

Judy G. Russell
October 17th, 2006, 06:36 PM
For those considering switching email programs, it may be helpful to decide whether the ability to create "virtual folders" is something worth looking into. In the case of web mail, for example, google mail lets one create something that is sort of like a virtual folder, by setting some search criteria that cause messages satisfying the search criteria to be included in the desired group or collection of messages.An interesting feature, for sure. Not one that would be all that important to me, but interesting nonetheless.

sidney
October 17th, 2006, 07:24 PM
I only use Thunderbird very seldom and do not know if it has such a feature

Thunderbird has a virtual folder feature. You can save a search, which creates a "search folder" that then acts as a virtual folder. For example, a search for someone's name as the sender, when saved, becomes a folder for mail from that person, which being virtual could include mail that also exists in another virtual folder that is for mail with a certain phrase in the subject.

- sidney

Judy G. Russell
October 17th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Thunderbird has a virtual folder feature. You can save a search, which creates a "search folder" that then acts as a virtual folder. For example, a search for someone's name as the sender, when saved, becomes a folder for mail from that person, which being virtual could include mail that also exists in another virtual folder that is for mail with a certain phrase in the subject.Hmmm... sounds like I'm going to have to give TBird a more thorough try. The last time I tried it, it was very early on and I wasn't particularly impressed then.

Mike
October 17th, 2006, 11:40 PM
That's exactly what I did. AAMOF, I changed Eudora to "leave mail on server" and let it collect the mail, then captured it in T-bird, and when I was satisfied that T-bird was working well and woudn't do something silly, then I quit reading mail with Eudora (by simply changing each personality not to check mail).

Mike
October 17th, 2006, 11:41 PM
I think you'll be more impressed--1.5.x.x is more advanced and much better than 1.0.x.

Judy G. Russell
October 18th, 2006, 09:45 AM
I think you'll be more impressed--1.5.x.x is more advanced and much better than 1.0.x.Now all I need is time to try it...

Mike
October 19th, 2006, 12:58 AM
I know that feeling. But once I bit the bullet and set aside 2.5 hours, I realized that the four hours were well spent.

Judy G. Russell
October 19th, 2006, 09:23 AM
But once I bit the bullet and set aside 2.5 hours, I realized that the four hours were well spent.ROFL!!! In my case, it'd be a matter of setting aside 5 hours and needing 10!

Mike
October 21st, 2006, 01:11 AM
ROFL!!! In my case, it'd be a matter of setting aside 5 hours and needing 10!
In that case, I bet it will take you six. :-)

Dan in Saint Louis
October 21st, 2006, 09:34 AM
ROFL!!! In my case, it'd be a matter of setting aside 5 hours and needing 10!
Go ahead and plan for 5, and be very pleased with yourself when it takes only 2.

Judy G. Russell
October 21st, 2006, 10:06 AM
Go ahead and plan for 5, and be very pleased with yourself when it takes only 2.That sounds good!

Judy G. Russell
October 21st, 2006, 10:07 AM
In that case, I bet it will take you six. :-)Fair enough! (Now to find six spare hours...)

Guerri Stevens
October 22nd, 2006, 10:03 AM
Hmmm... sounds like I'm going to have to give TBird a more thorough try. The last time I tried it, it was very early on and I wasn't particularly impressed then.
I have been using TBird for awhile, but I don't have experience with much else. I don't have the latest version of TBird, either. One thing it does that drives me nuts is that if you reply to a message, for instance, when you are through creating your reply and have sent it or told TBird to "send later", TBird does not take you back to its main screen, but leaves you somewhere else (the desktop, maybe) but with the main screen showing and inactive. I might then hit one of the TBird shortcut keys and wonder why it doesn't work!

Judy G. Russell
October 22nd, 2006, 02:40 PM
One thing it does that drives me nuts is that if you reply to a message, for instance, when you are through creating your reply and have sent it or told TBird to "send later", TBird does not take you back to its main screen, but leaves you somewhere else (the desktop, maybe) but with the main screen showing and inactive. I might then hit one of the TBird shortcut keys and wonder why it doesn't work!Hmmm... I'll have to see if there's a fix for that once I shift over.

Dan in Saint Louis
October 22nd, 2006, 03:12 PM
One thing it does that drives me nuts is that if you reply to a message, for instance, when you are through creating your reply and have sent it or told TBird to "send later", TBird does not take you back to its main screen, but leaves you somewhere else (the desktop, maybe) but with the main screen showing and inactive. I might then hit one of the TBird shortcut keys and wonder why it doesn't work!

I've never seen that happen. Sometimes I try to start it without the flash drive storing all my email files in the socket, and it issues a complaint about another instance already running (a misleading error message), but after a send the main window returns to active status.

Guerri Stevens
October 23rd, 2006, 03:42 PM
I've never seen that happen. Sometimes I try to start it without the flash drive storing all my email files in the socket, and it issues a complaint about another instance already running (a misleading error message), but after a send the main window returns to active status.
I don't have the latest version. Possibly the problem has been corrected. And of course it could be that something in my settings is causing it.

MollyM/CA
October 27th, 2006, 07:03 PM
There's one feature I use constantly in Eudora -- the ability to highlight part of a message, hit reply and have only that part of the message imported into the reply. I'd hate to lose that.

You can do that in Pegasus, but it queries you. I find it easier to ^C what I've highlighted and ^V it into the message after a <.

m

;)

Judy G. Russell
October 27th, 2006, 11:12 PM
You can do that in Pegasus, but it queries you. I find it easier to ^C what I've highlighted and ^V it into the message after a <. Eudora doesn't ask; it just does it. Mike says there's a TBird extensions for the same thing and maybe sometime this year I'll find the time to test it all out...

jdh
June 3rd, 2007, 01:10 AM
You can do that in Pegasus, but it queries you. I find it easier to ^C what I've highlighted and ^V it into the message after a <.

m

;)
I am not currently using Pegasus. But FYI for anybody using it, I noticed that version 4.21 (quite old) has a significant security hole in it. Hole fixed in version 4.31.

4.41 is apparently the latest version and it has a built-in Spamhalter [sp?] Bayesian spam filter and support for UNICODE and other goodies.

http://pmail.com

But I noticed that the download is 7+Mb as opposed to about 6+Mb for Thunderbird.

DH