PDA

View Full Version : Moving Laser and Photo Printers

Guerri Stevens
October 8th, 2006, 01:35 PM
My husband and I are moving next week. I have an HP laser printer and one of those small photo printers. I vaguely recall that the toner cartridge is supposed to be removed from the laser printer before moving. I tried to find this out at the HP site, but it was taking too long to wander around looking for the information, and naturally I have already packed the manual.

The other printer is an HP Photosmart, which has ink cartridges. What about that? Should the ink cartridges be removed before transporting the printer?

Dan in Saint Louis
October 8th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I vaguely recall that the toner cartridge is supposed to be removed from the laser printer before moving.
I can't imagine why. I often remove the toner cartridge and shake it briskly to get a few more prints when the center fades out, and nothing ever sifts out.

The other printer is an HP Photosmart, which has ink cartridges. What about that? Should the ink cartridges be removed before transporting the printer?
As log as the heads are parked (ie, the printer was turned off by its own switch before power was disconnected), I would think all would be well. I regularly cart loaded printers around in the trunk of my car and have seen no ill effects.

Gary Maltzen
October 8th, 2006, 05:44 PM
I often remove the toner cartridge and shake it briskly to get a few more prints when the center fades out, and nothing ever sifts out.I suspect the laserjet toner cartridge is held open when inserted in the printer; I can testify to the smudging problems resulting from an abrupt shock to the loaded laserjet.

I agree with leaving the inkjet cartridges in during movement; there is too much possibility of accidently causing ink leakage (for example discarded cartridges in a ziploc bag awaiting recycle)

Dan in Saint Louis
October 8th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I suspect the laserjet toner cartridge is held open when inserted in the printer; I can testify to the smudging problems resulting from an abrupt shock to the loaded laserjet.
That could be, my experience with LaserJet moving has been more along the lines of room-to-room on a pushcart at the College. We did move a few to another campus by truck. We generally don't turn them upside-down!

Guerri Stevens
October 8th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I suspect the laserjet toner cartridge is held open when inserted in the printer; I can testify to the smudging problems resulting from an abrupt shock to the loaded laserjet.

I agree with leaving the inkjet cartridges in during movement; there is too much possibility of accidently causing ink leakage (for example discarded cartridges in a ziploc bag awaiting recycle)
Thanks to both you and Dan for your comments. I think I will move the laser without the cartridge. I believe the toner is low anyway as it is smudging when it prints, and I think that when this happened before, a new cartridge fixed it. The problem I now have with it when turning on (immediately produces an error light) may also be due to low toner, but you'd think the manual would say so. I have solved *that* problem by not turning the thing off.

Not sure what I will do with the photo printer. Its manual is already packed and since buying it I have not removed and installed cartridges. So it may go with them still inside, good or bad. It was an impulse buy (on sale), and it has now decided not to show anything on the LCD display which makes it hard to operate and I'm annoyed about that.