PDA

View Full Version : The Measure of a Man

Lindsey
October 7th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Some captions just write themselves (http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/2006/10/06/foleyphoto/index.html).

(And why do I think this is just one more example of blatant lies coming from the lips of our chief executive?)

--Lindsey

Dan in Saint Louis
October 8th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Some captions just write themselves (http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/2006/10/06/foleyphoto/index.html).

(And why do I think this is just one more example of blatant lies coming from the lips of our chief executive?)

--Lindsey
"Absolutely no registration or membership required for a FREE Site Pass", but the links in the left border don't work?

Lindsey
October 8th, 2006, 10:33 PM
"Absolutely no registration or membership required for a FREE Site Pass", but the links in the left border don't work?
I'm not sure what you're seeing, because I have a membership and don't get that challenge. Can you make me a screen clip or something?

--Lindsey

OK, never mind -- I navigated to that link using Internet Explorer. I got a challenge page that asked me to click on the sponsor logo to get a free day pass for the intended article and all of the rest of Salon.com. I clicked on the logo, an ad page displayed, and instead of playing the video of the ad, I just clicked on "Enter Salon." That gave me the page the link pointed to, and from there, all of the other links on the left side of the page worked fine.

sidney
October 8th, 2006, 11:04 PM

If you are running an ad blocker you won't see the icon for getting the free site pass by viewing an ad. I use AdBlock Plus, and it works to turn disable it, click on the link, then re-enable ad block after getting past the ad and into the article.

-- sidney

Lindsey
October 8th, 2006, 11:10 PM
If you are running an ad blocker you won't see the icon for getting the free site pass by viewing an ad. I use AdBlock Plus, and it works to turn disable it, click on the link, then re-enable ad block after getting past the ad and into the article.
Aha! An ad blocker -- I should have thought about that.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
October 11th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Aha! An ad blocker -- I should have thought about that.I can't get to it using AdBlock with Firefox no matter what I do.

Lindsey
October 11th, 2006, 11:05 PM
I can't get to it using AdBlock with Firefox no matter what I do.
Uhhh -- dare I suggest you try using IE? :eek:

--Lindsey

Jeff
October 12th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Uhhh -- dare I suggest you try using IE? :eek:

--Lindsey

IE (6 anyway) does work. And your suggestion on how to bypass the ad and go straight to the content works too...

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
October 12th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Oh I'm sure IE works. I just don't WANT to use it.

sidney
October 12th, 2006, 06:46 PM
I can't get to it using AdBlock with Firefox no matter what I do.

I switched from AdBlock to AdBlock Plus a whle ago during the time AdBlock was not being actively developed. I don't know how AdBlock interacts with Salon's daypass, but with AdBlock Plus I just click on the dropdown arrow of its toolbar icon, click on the selected "Enable AdBlock Plus" to disable it, get through to the Salon article, then re-enable AdBlock Plus.

-- sidney

Judy G. Russell
October 12th, 2006, 09:45 PM
I switched from AdBlock to AdBlock Plus a whle ago during the time AdBlock was not being actively developed. I don't know how AdBlock interacts with Salon's daypass, but with AdBlock Plus I just click on the dropdown arrow of its toolbar icon, click on the selected "Enable AdBlock Plus" to disable it, get through to the Salon article, then re-enable AdBlock Plus.Looks good, Sidney. I'll try it. Thanks.

fhaber
October 13th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Apropos of not much, note further down in this article that you can defer/cancel the automatic download of an update to IE7, even if you use automatic WinUpdate.

WinUpdate Troubles, IE7 Blocking (http://news.com.com/Microsoft+struggles+with+Patch+Tuesday/2100-1002_3-6124447.html?tag=html.alert )

(I haven't installed it yet myself. I think I'll try it on one machine, expecting not to be transported with joy.)

Judy G. Russell
October 13th, 2006, 04:38 PM
(I haven't installed it yet myself. I think I'll try it on one machine, expecting not to be transported with joy.)I'll wait until you've tried it and reported on all its headaches before I do...