PDA

View Full Version : Tigers poised to beat Yankees

ndebord
October 7th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Ouch. It has come to this: do or die. The Yankees now need to win two games in a row, one at Tiger Stadium and one in the Bronx and it all comes down to Wright (and probably Lidle).

I think the chemistry of the team has changed since the veterans came back. It was perhaps better when Melky was in left. Anyhow, today will tell the tale.

:-(

ndebord
October 8th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Mets sweep Dodgers and one reason why was how the manager handled his pitchers:

Trachsel had thrown only 65 pitches, but Randolph has a much shorter leash on starting pitchers not named Tom Glavine. At the first sign of trouble, he did not hesitate.

"I wanted to close the deal tonight,” Randolph said, “and I thought it was time to make a move."

And for Detroit, Leyland in Game 2:

Verlander, like Zumaya one of Detroit's rookie sensations, pitched in and out of trouble for 5 2-3 innings, allowing seven hits and four walks. He gave his only runs on Johnny Damon's fourth-inning homer, which put New York ahead 3-1. Tigers manager Jim Leyland then made the unusual move to pull him with a runner on, one out and a 1-1 count on Robinson Cano. Jamie Walker came in, threw two balls, and induced an inning-ending 6-4-3 double play.

Contrast this with Joe Torre in Game 2.

Curtis Granderson's go-ahead triple off Mike Mussina capped a comeback. (Moose was getting tired and Torre left him in the game in a signature move, where he trusts his pitchers.

Torre in Game 3.

The Big Unit allowed five runs and eight hits in 5 2-3 innings, losing his eighth straight division series decision.

"I kept us in it for five innings," he said. "At least I felt I did that."

Torre in Game 4.

Wright gave up 3 runs in the 2nd inning, then Lidle gave up 4 runs, 1 in the 3rd and 3 in the 5th. Procoter gave up the final run in 2 2/3 innings work with Farnsworth pitching the 9th and giving up zero runs. Don't know if this is Torre's fault. It just looks like the roof caved in and neither Wright not Lidle could keep their fingers in the dike.

Sigh. This is on Steinbrenner and Cashman who put together this team. You could argue more of the weight is on Steinbrenner and less on Cashman who has been trying to fix things this year only (he did not have the authority in past years).

The mighty Yankees, flailed wildly at the plate and came up empty.