PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Hackers Hit Commerce Department

davidh
October 7th, 2006, 07:49 AM
This is the second major attack originating in China that's been acknowledged by the federal government since July. Then, the State Department said that Chinese attackers had broken into its systems overseas and in Washington. And last year, Britain's National Infrastructure Security Co-ordination Center (NISCC) claimed that Chinese hackers had attacked more than 300 government agencies and private companies in the U.K.

"This [Commerce attack] is the third or fourth battle that we've lost to China," said Richard Stiennon, principal analyst with security consultancy IT-Harvest. "It's not a digital Pearl Harbor, not yet, but it's getting closer."

Although Stiennon said he doesn't have any inside information on the most recent attack, the evidence points to state-sponsored hacking. "The continuous nature of these attacks means there is a link to a state source," Stiennon said. "The Chinese are waging very effectual intellectual warfare."

One possible infection technique that could survive a reformat would be to store malicious code in the PC's BIOS flash memory. In January, a security researcher at the Black Hat conference demonstrated how the BIOS could be used by attackers.

In May, Congress criticized State Department plans to use Chinese-made PCs in high-security settings because it feared the machines' BIOS could be pre-infected with spyware.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20061007/tc_cmp/193105174

UNQUOTE

But don't worry. We'll beat them. We have a lot of MBA's and American Idols.

DH

Lindsey
October 7th, 2006, 11:04 PM
In May, Congress criticized State Department plans to use Chinese-made PCs in high-security settings because it feared the machines' BIOS could be pre-infected with spyware.
Would this be the appropriate place to insert a reminder that IBM sold its ThinkPad operation to the Chinese?

--Lindsey

davidh
October 7th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Would this be the appropriate place to insert a reminder that IBM sold its ThinkPad operation to the Chinese?

--Lindsey
I don't know. But I voted for Ross Perot and Ralph Nader.

Larry Summers (don't hire a hit on me for mentioning his name) told Charlie Rose that all the people in Washington are like snakes wriggling in tubes. I take him to mean both Republicans and Democrats are wriggling in the same tubes of their own provincial (maybe another word for corrupt) imagination.

DH

earler
October 8th, 2006, 03:29 AM
Thinkpads had been manufactured in china for several years. Before, they were made in mexico, but cheaper labor dictated the switch to china.

-er

Lindsey
October 8th, 2006, 10:42 PM
I don't know. But I voted for Ross Perot and Ralph Nader.
Ah -- then you are partly to blame for Bush 43.

Larry Summers seems to be full of opinions, but I wonder how many of them are actually based on facts?

--Lindsey

Lindsey
October 8th, 2006, 10:43 PM
cheaper labor dictated the switch to china.
Oh, right; silly me -- who cares about national security when it comes to adding a few bucks to the bottom line?

--Lindsey

davidh
October 8th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Ah -- then you are partly to blame for Bush 43.
Mea culpa.

DH

Lindsey
October 8th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Mea culpa.
Go and sin no more.

--Lindsey