PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the International section!

Judy G. Russell
June 11th, 2005, 08:26 AM
As requested, the old section 6 -- International -- has been resurrected here at the TapcisForum. And, of course, the usual cast of characters is "in charge" (to the extent that it's possible to be in charge of this crew -- it's like herding cats...): Jeff Guilliford and Ralph Lohmann.

So... what's the first topic? The G8 deal on African debt relief? The airport explosion at Madrid? Fire and flood in China? Herr Lohmann's campaign for Marchgrave of Brandenburg?

Jeff
June 11th, 2005, 12:59 PM
As requested, the old section 6 -- International -- has been resurrected here at the TapcisForum. And, of course, the usual cast of characters is "in charge" (to the extent that it's possible to be in charge of this crew -- it's like herding cats...): Jeff Gulliford and Ralph Lohmann.

Unfortunately (?) both the Dutch Uncle and the Marchgrave Pretender are back in the States now, but like with so many things Tapcis we will never forget how it was then. Will we, your gravyness?

- Jeff

rlohmann
June 11th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Unfortunately (?) both the Dutch Uncle and the Marchgrave Pretender are back in the States now, but like with so many things Tapcis we will never forget how it was then. Will we, your gravyness?Some things never change. You have begun this iteration with 15 demerits for insufficiently respectful language.

You may, after tugging at your forelock, rise.

My Grace

Nick Parkin
June 12th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Can this section be included in the quick jump drop down menu? :confused:

Lindsey
June 12th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Can this section be included in the quick jump drop down menu? :confused:
Done! (I think!)

--Lindsey

heinz57g
June 13th, 2005, 04:43 AM
>> what's the first topic? The G8 deal on African debt relief? The airport
>> explosion at Madrid? Fire and flood in China? Herr Lohmann's campaign
>> for Marchgrave of Brandenburg?

hey, first things first, real world-matters: who opens an EURO account for TAPCIS.COM? or who lets his own being used for this?

lindsey, how did you manage to get this ''here for the beer'' under your name?

greetings - heinz -

Jeff
June 13th, 2005, 01:48 PM
hey, first things first, real world-matters: who opens an EURO account for TAPCIS.COM? or who lets his own being used for this?

greetings - heinz -

A Euro account really isn't necessary. After you convert E to $ there is an absolutely painless way to transfer $ to any bank account in the States. All that's needed are the (receiving) US bank codes, and an amount not to exceed $10,000 per transfer, and it's cheap to do. It's called 'easy transfer', 'express transfer', something like that. No forms to fill out. Ask your bank. I can do that transfer via the the 'net from my Dutch bank to the States, but what I cannot do from the States is the conversion from E to $. And that's why I can't help. And as I said before, PayPal does work in Europe. It really does, and it's *much* easier than a bank transfer of any kind.

- Jeff

heinz57g
June 13th, 2005, 02:51 PM
did ask my banks, three of them: lowest charges for a transfer to the US is 18.50-33.75, independent of the method or amount transferred (up to about 6000).

and trust me, PAYPAL does not work for everybody. i have some 40 emails going back and forth to prove it, and my lawyer.

greetings - heinz -

Jeff
June 14th, 2005, 01:38 PM
did ask my banks, three of them: lowest charges for a transfer to the US is 18.50-33.75, independent of the method or amount transferred (up to about 6000).

and trust me, PAYPAL does not work for everybody. i have some 40 emails going back and forth to prove it, and my lawyer.

greetings - heinz -

Where are your banks? I don't remember what that simple transfer procedure is called in Holland, but it was a flat rate of something like 8 or 12 E for up to $10,000 transfer to the States. I think the procedure was Euro wide too.

- Jeff

heinz57g
June 14th, 2005, 04:25 PM
one each in germany, holland and austria. and yes, during the 80's i had an account in denver/USA, and i recall transfers under a certain (reasonable) limit to be DM 10 (then US$ 6 or thereabouts). that was before the time of online banking which naturally makes everything easier and cheaper, no?

greetings - heinz -

Dan in Saint Louis
June 14th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Anybody who doesn't want to use PayPal but trusts me (fools<G>), just snail mail me US$5 and I'll do the PayPal FOR you. Anybody can get PayPal, all it takes is a charge card or a bank account. Email me dan at landiss dot com to get the snail mail address.

PayPal has never cheated me, and I pay a fee only when someone buys from me and uses PayPal to pay the bill.

Lindsey
June 14th, 2005, 10:17 PM
lindsey, how did you manage to get this ''here for the beer'' under your name?
I changed the "Tltle" option in the UserCP area, but I think that option is only allowed for Administrators and Moderators.

--Lindsey

heinz57g
June 15th, 2005, 10:22 AM
right you are, there is not title option for normal mortals. so only the upper classes get the beer? here in this section we are already beaten 4:3, so soon we will have a admistrators-and-moderators-and-encryted-password-only-section. with plenty of beer.

greetings - heinz -

Judy G. Russell
June 15th, 2005, 12:06 PM
admistrators-and-moderators-and-encryted-password-only-section. with plenty of beer.
What a great idea...!

Jeff
June 15th, 2005, 01:19 PM
one each in germany, holland and austria. and yes, during the 80's i had an account in denver/USA, and i recall transfers under a certain (reasonable) limit to be DM 10 (then US$ 6 or thereabouts). that was before the time of online banking which naturally makes everything easier and cheaper, no?

greetings - heinz -

Yes, Heinz, that sounds like what I've been talking about. I used it for several years starting in the mid 80's to transfer to the States. I just don't remember what ABNAMRO in Holland calls it. All you need are the receiving bank codes, for anywhere in Europe and a whole bunch of other countries.

- Jeff

heinz57g
June 15th, 2005, 04:24 PM
jeff (once more, is this THE jeff?), the ''it should be easier and cheaper'' was to sound sarcastic: the same service that ABNAMRO charged US$ 6 for some years ago is now in the region of $20. and sending $10 to TAPCIS and paying $20 to do so is outright robbery. or so i think.

greetings - heinz -

heinz57g
June 15th, 2005, 04:28 PM
judy, i thought you would say this! and see what you are missing: half of my tenner would have gone for extra beer.

strange: whenever i try to read and pronounce your signature, it comes out some kind of growling ... or is it gurgeling?

greetings - heinz -

Judy G. Russell
June 15th, 2005, 05:05 PM
It's pronounced like "jigger" as in "jigger of gin"... not that I'd use anyone's contribution for such a thing, oh no, not me, I wouldn't...

Jeff
June 16th, 2005, 01:09 PM
jeff (once more, is this THE jeff?), the ''it should be easier and cheaper'' was to sound sarcastic: the same service that ABNAMRO charged US$ 6 for some years ago is now in the region of $20. and sending $10 to TAPCIS and paying $20 to do so is outright robbery. or so i think.

greetings - heinz -

Of course it's me, Heinz. How many Jeff's in Holland ever infested the International section in the old forum, and now the new one? I'm not using my last name here as the open forums, like this one, can and likely will be indexed by google and will remain indexed for *years* and don't want my first and last name searchable across the entire web.

As it turns out I will be doing a final transfer or two before finally closing my ABNAMRO accounts. I'll try to remember to let you know how that goes.

- Jeff

heinz57g
June 16th, 2005, 04:58 PM
jeff, then YOU are the solution: keep the ABNAMRO account, use it online only, and let TAPCIS money from europe flow in there. and spend as you need in europe (after having given the forum its equal in US$), or once the sum makes sense, transfer to the USA.

judy, we solved that one.

greetings - heinz -

Jeff
June 17th, 2005, 12:24 PM
jeff, then YOU are the solution: keep the ABNAMRO account, use it online only, and let TAPCIS money from europe flow in there. and spend as you need in europe (after having given the forum its equal in US$), or once the sum makes sense, transfer to the USA.

judy, we solved that one.

greetings - heinz -

No Heinz, I'm not the solution. I moved back to the States two years ago, I have no more need of Euros, and I'm closing my Dutch accounts. As to money from Europe, I think you'll probably be the only one any more. The good old days of members from everywhere are over, I think.

- Jeff

heinz57g
June 18th, 2005, 02:58 AM
jeff, you have been the solution for so many people over so many years, another 6 months wont matter, no? thats all i was talking about. and i assume leaving yr bank account open will not cost you anything.

re members from europe, i just hope you are wrong. are we talking TAPCIS or CLASSIC members? talked to the CIS help desk in NL recently: though they had no idea of what i actually asked about, they said there were still quite a few thousand CLASSIC members out there. i wonder why they, CIS, or nobody else ever comes up with some real numbers or statistics.

greetings - heinz -

Jeff
June 18th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Heinz, the problem is that I can't convert currency via the web. If I could do that I'd be happy to help, but I can't.

As to your question about Classic, AOL is ignoring Classic. It has destroyed virtually all of the old forums, and now is ignoring Classic email (take a look at the severely limited international access that's left). They'd probably close Classic email too, except it makes a lot of money for no work on AOL's part.

- Jeff

heinz57g
June 18th, 2005, 05:25 PM
ABNAMRO advertises currency conversions to be free of charge. have a look at their web page. so whenever you close yr account, you shld be able to transfer in any currency you want. the fees i complained about are only so crazy for small amounts, for anything medium-large they are ok. which might be one way the bank tries to avoid sending small amounts (thanks, EBAY/PAYPAL).

re acces to classic, you'll be amazed how many nodes work that are not on the official list anymore, though i agree with you about total neglect on AOLs side. their management does not even deserve that name anymore.

greetings - heinz -