PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii Advice?

Mike
October 3rd, 2006, 02:29 AM
I have some FF miles to use, and Brent and I are thinking of going to Hawaii in February (neither of us has ever been there). We'd have to fly to one of the cities served by United. One friend suggested Wakiki, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has any suggestions.

I've also been warned to stay on the "dry side of the island," regardless of which island we choose. Any thoughts?

We're not specifically trying to find a gay place to visit, but OTOH, it would be nice to visit where we'll be accepted. We don't expect San Francisco, but we don't want to find Salt Lake City, either. <g> ...thoughts?

davidh
October 3rd, 2006, 04:48 AM
My C-130 stopped a couple hours at Hickam AFB on the way to Vietnam. The weather was very pleasant. They even had palm trees on the base too.

:-)

DH

ndebord
October 3rd, 2006, 09:56 AM
I have some FF miles to use, and Brent and I are thinking of going to Hawaii in February (neither of us has ever been there). We'd have to fly to one of the cities served by United. One friend suggested Wakiki, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has any suggestions.

I've also been warned to stay on the "dry side of the island," regardless of which island we choose. Any thoughts?

We're not specifically trying to find a gay place to visit, but OTOH, it would be nice to visit where we'll be accepted. We don't expect San Francisco, but we don't want to find Salt Lake City, either. <g> ...thoughts?

Mike,

Like David, I haven't been to Hawaii since a brief stopover on the way to 'Nam, but from all I've read, you should have a great time there. Google threw up a lot of info when I used the keyword of "gay destinations in Hawaii."

http://www.planetout.com/travel/destinations/guides/?key=288

Mike
October 3rd, 2006, 12:16 PM
Google threw up a lot of info when I used the keyword of "gay destinations in Hawaii."
Thanks for the Google suggestion, Nick. I certainly plan to use that to learn about specific spots, but I was hoping to learn from others' personal experience, which isn't always so readily handy on the Internet. OTOH, we all know that everything we read on the Internet is true. <g>

ktinkel
October 3rd, 2006, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the Google suggestion, Nick. I certainly plan to use that to learn about specific spots, but I was hoping to learn from others' personal experience, which isn't always so readily handy on the Internet. OTOH, we all know that everything we read on the Internet is true. <g>I lived on Oahu briefly in the early 1960s. I used to hang out in some downtown clubs near Chinatown, but have no clue what would be good today.

I lived on the windward (i.e., non-Honolulu) side; that must be the wet side. Well, maybe. But it also has wonderful beaches, interesting terrain, and I do think it would make sense for you to rent a car for a day or two, go through the Wilson tunnel through the Pali range, and check it out. Guidebooks may point you to surfing beaches, but there are other nice points as well. If you see a small roadside saimin stand, check it out — the soup with shrimp is fabulous. And cheap. (I lived on Kaneohe Bay, but it has been years.)

On the other hand, some of the tourist destinations are brilliant. The museum, which focuses on Pacific and Asian art, is incredible. Diamond Head has spectacular views and a lot of history. Chinatown downtown is interesting and full of good food.

I would avoid going to a luau. Unless an authentic celebration by some local entity, they are pathetic imitations — you could do better in your back yard.

If you can, go to Maui. I have never been there, but my Island friends swear it trumps Oahu, and it is certainly somewhat less developed, though that too is changing. Great potato chips, too.

BTW: Waikiki is a neighborhood, not a town. It is where most of the major hotels are, and while sort of offensively touristy, it is often where you can get decent prices for a nice room, and it is fairly close to the center of Honolulu.

ndebord
October 3rd, 2006, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the Google suggestion, Nick. I certainly plan to use that to learn about specific spots, but I was hoping to learn from others' personal experience, which isn't always so readily handy on the Internet. OTOH, we all know that everything we read on the Internet is true. <g>

Mike,

Between Google (always truthful, as I believe in my country's institutions unconditionally!) and Kathleen, I think you are on your way to being covered here!

Mike
October 3rd, 2006, 11:51 PM
Thanks, Kathleen and Nick.