PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question - What's Dixonary?

Peter Creasey
June 9th, 2005, 09:44 AM
I've observed all of the "dixonary" postings here and tried to read a few threads but can't seem to get a handle on what's going on. What is all of this and what am I missing, please?

Lindsey
June 9th, 2005, 05:08 PM
It's an online game that started in the TAPCIS forum more than 10 years ago and has been going continuously ever since. It's similar to Fictionary, if you're familiar with that. It was always a little confusing to read that section in the TAPCIS forum if you didn't know what was going on, and it appears to be even more confusing over here, because the Dixonary folks didn't all migrate to this venue--some are working through a Yahoo group, and the e-mails are being echoed to the "Parlor" forum here. Not all of them get threaded properly, so it's difficult to follow the conversations.

Basically, there's a dealer who selects an obscure word for the round, the players make up definitions for it and e-mail them to the dealer, who compiles a list and posts them, along with the actual definition. The players then, without actually knowing what the word means, each select two definitions that strike them as the most likely and vote for them. You get a point for each vote your fake definition gets, and a bonus of two points if you yourself guess the correct definition. The player with the most points for the round "wins" the "privilege" of dealing the next round.

If you're interested in joining the game, you might post a message there asking for a little assistance, as in this new setup, I'm not entirely sure what you need to do to join in. It's possible someone there can also point you to a file with the official game rules.

--Lindsey

Peter Creasey
June 10th, 2005, 08:58 AM
>> it's difficult to follow the conversations. <<

Lindsey, Thanks for the info! It sounds too involved and time-demanding at this time. I'll just continue to lurk.

Lindsey
June 10th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Lindsey, Thanks for the info! It sounds too involved and time-demanding at this time. I'll just continue to lurk.
Even on the old forum, I found it too time-consuming in the long run to make playing a practical consideration for me, but I was never good at just tossing off fake definitions--I had to work at it.

--Lindsey