PDA

View Full Version : Locked out of Office

Jeff
September 15th, 2006, 01:04 PM
XP Pro SP2, IE6, all updates. Windows Update works fine, but I cannot download anything from MS' Office site, not updates, nada. Any ideas?

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
September 15th, 2006, 08:29 PM
XP Pro SP2, IE6, all updates. Windows Update works fine, but I cannot download anything from MS' Office site, not updates, nada. Any ideas?Did you remember to register Office?

Jeff
September 16th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Did you remember to register Office?

I loaded Word from a fully paid for MS CD that came with HAL, and checking just now it says "This product has been activated". That means 'registered', yes? The update site shows me the updates for all parts of Office, even though I only installed Word, and then it refuses to dl any of them.

- Jeff

earler
September 16th, 2006, 04:17 PM
You don't need to register, only activate.

-er

Judy G. Russell
September 16th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Oy. That should be more than enough to get to the update stuff. Are you getting any kind of error message at all?

Mike
September 17th, 2006, 03:10 AM
What exactly happens when you try?

The latest incarnation of Windows Update also updates Office... is it possible that all updates are applied and the Office Update sees nothing to send to you?

Jeff
September 17th, 2006, 01:06 PM
What exactly happens when you try?

The latest incarnation of Windows Update also updates Office... is it possible that all updates are applied and the Office Update sees nothing to send to you?

No, I don't let MS do anything automatically, so I have not allowed that which is automatic only, or so it seems.

From 'Update' in Word Help I get here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdate/default.aspx

It goes through its 'checking' phase and then it shows me 4 'required' updates. I click 'agree and install' and it *immediately* responds with 'install unsuccessful'. No dl, nada. Just 'go away', in red letters no less.

- Jeff

Dan in Saint Louis
September 17th, 2006, 08:40 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895975/en-us (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895975/en-us)

Mike
September 18th, 2006, 12:54 AM
I don't let the update occur automatically, but the second Tuesday of every month, I get a little prompt that there are updates to be downloaded. After I've alloed the download and it's complete, I get another prompt that the updates are ready to be installed. At both steps, I can review the list and even reject some updates.

However, it looks like Dan is on to something...

Jeff
September 19th, 2006, 01:11 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895975/en-us (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895975/en-us)

Thanks, Dan.

msiexec.exe Version 3.1.4000.1823

I understand 'update' an older version, which doesn't seem necessary. But doing anything else in that KB article scares me. I cannot locate either log file by name, and I cannot find the term "ixfAssemblyCopy" anywhere on the drive.

This not DOS, hell it's not even Win 95. And that means that if anything goes wrong I'm seriously screwed. Ideas for the timid?

- Jeff

Jeff
September 19th, 2006, 01:16 PM
I don't let the update occur automatically, but the second Tuesday of every month, I get a little prompt that there are updates to be downloaded. After I've alloed the download and it's complete, I get another prompt that the updates are ready to be installed. At both steps, I can review the list and even reject some updates.

However, it looks like Dan is on to something...

That's pretty much what I do, but before I dl I check to see if it / they can be uninstalled. If so, I click dl and install. And yes, Dan is on to something, but it doesn't seem to apply. I wish it did. Or maybe more likely I'm missing something.

Jeff

Mike
September 22nd, 2006, 01:14 AM
Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas. I'm still trying to find why <Alt><Tab> on an XP SP2 and a W2K SP2 machine is AFU.

Jeff
September 27th, 2006, 01:07 PM
That's pretty much what I do, but before I dl I check to see if it / they can be uninstalled. If so, I click dl and install. And yes, Dan is on to something, but it doesn't seem to apply. I wish it did. Or maybe more likely I'm missing something.

Jeff

No guys, I wasn't missing anything. I just figured out that the new "microsoft update" could be done in a manual fashion and started to install it. Guess what? It immediately wanted a newer, or at least different active-x. I installed that and the Office updates appeared and installed, along with a XP update. Bottom line, about which the KB article is silent, updating Office requires a newer, or at least different, active-x than Windows update, and the only way to get it is to install the new "microsoft update" routine.

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
September 27th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Bottom line, about which the KB article is silent, updating Office requires a newer, or at least different, active-x than Windows update, and the only way to get it is to install the new "microsoft update" routine.Nice of them to tell you about it. Sheeeeesh...