PDA

View Full Version : Ellis Island Geneology Discovery

lensue
September 14th, 2006, 01:44 PM
"Annie Moore is memorialized by bronze statues in New York Harbor and Ireland and cited in story and song as the first of 12 million immigrants to arrive at Ellis Island. Her story, as it has been recounted for decades, is that she went west with her family to fulfill the American dream — eventually reaching Texas, where she married a descendant of the Irish liberator Daniel O’Connell and then died accidentally under the wheels of a streetcar at the age of 46...The first part of the myth seems authentic enough...As for what happened next, though, history appears to have embraced the wrong Annie Moore...“With the power of the Internet and a handful of history geeks we cracked this baby in six weeks,” she said. “Brian found this one document, and we knew we had the right family. We had the smoking gun.”

See

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/14/nyregion/14annie.html?hp&ex=1158292800&en=36d16ca9eaf747f6&ei=5094&partner=homepage

or

or http://tinyurl.com/kev6w Regards, Len

Lindsey
September 14th, 2006, 03:49 PM
The first part of the myth seems authentic enough...As for what happened next, though, history appears to have embraced the wrong Annie Moore...
I saw that; interesting story!

By the way, you had posted this in the "Forum Use and Help" section, so I moved it here. I messed up a little, though, and forgot to change the default move option, so it left a redirection in the old section, but I don't think that will hurt anything.

--Lindsey

lensue
September 14th, 2006, 04:49 PM
>you had posted this in the "Forum Use and Help" section, so I moved it here<

Lindsey, thanks--btw I've had trouble figuring out how you start a new thread--could you give me the steps. Regards, Len [computer expert-g]

Lindsey
September 14th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Lindsey, thanks--btw I've had trouble figuring out how you start a new thread--could you give me the steps. Regards, Len [computer expert-g]
You did fine -- you just need to remember to go to the section you want to post in before you hit "New Thread".

--Lindsey

lensue
September 14th, 2006, 10:50 PM
>you just need to remember to go to the section you want to post in before you hit "New Thread".<

Lindsey, thanks! Regards, Len

Judy G. Russell
September 15th, 2006, 01:26 AM
That is definitely way cool. I'm glad they found the right Annie... and it is a better story this way!