PDA

View Full Version : The World Just Got A Little Boring

Lindsey
September 14th, 2006, 01:12 PM
That's the headline on the Truthdig.com article (http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/the_world_just_got_a_little_boring/) announcing the death Wednesday night of Ann Richards, former Governor of Texas and true American original. Best known for her sharp wit, you could always count on Richards to be the complete antithesis of boring.

Today, Democracy Now! offered a video clip of part of an address she gave at the December 2004 50th anniversary celebration for the Texas Observer. Do check it out (http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/14/1351255) -- it's vintage Ann Richards. There's a transcript there, but if you possibly can, play the video, or at least click the audio link. A Texas yarn is best appreciated by the ear.

Ann Richards originally entered public life because, she said, "I did not want my tombstone to read, 'She kept a really clean house.'" No danger of that, I think. We'll hear many times today the famous quip in her keynote address at the 1988 Democratic Convention about George H.W. Bush being born with a silver foot in his mouth. She said something else in that address that that we should pay closer heed to, though. "We're not going to have the America that we want until we elect leaders who are gonna tell the truth."

Amen, sister. We're really gonna miss you, gal.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
September 15th, 2006, 01:29 AM
She said something else in that address that that we should pay closer heed to, though. "We're not going to have the America that we want until we elect leaders who are gonna tell the truth." Amen, sister. We're really gonna miss you, gal.We will miss her indeed... a wit like Winston Churchill's in many respects... barbed, funny and deadly accurate.

ktinkel
September 15th, 2006, 03:58 PM
We're really gonna miss you, gal.Oh, yeah! No one can replace her, either.

Very sad news to wake up to.

Lindsey
September 15th, 2006, 10:33 PM
We will miss her indeed... a wit like Winston Churchill's in many respects... barbed, funny and deadly accurate.
At the end of the clip from that December 2004 address was something that I am tempted to post on talkingpointsmemo.com in reply to the DLC-types there who are sooooo upset at those horrible radical leftists for voting thumbs-down on Joe Lieberman in the Connecticut primary:

50 years ago, we were certain we could change the world, and we were going to start with Texas. It was our goal to run off the Republicans who were running on the Democratic ticket, and we were going to take over our party and, by God, we did it. And I’m proud of it to this day. At least if they’re going to do the things they’re going to do, they’re going to do it as Republicans and they’re not going to do it as Democrats anymore.

Amen.

--Lindsey

Lindsey
September 15th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Oh, yeah! No one can replace her, either.
Molly Ivins has a lovely tribute (http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20060915_molly_ivins_remembering_ann_richards/) to her posted today on the truthdig.com site.

--Lindsey