PDA

View Full Version : Godzilla returns!

ndebord
September 12th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Godzilla returns and not just a cameo appearance! And he wasn't the star, even though he went 4 for 4! The star was Abreu who had a 3 run homer AND a 3 run double ALL IN THE FIRST INNING!

Amazing stuff and it gets even better as Moose threw 6 1/3 shutout innings. If there is a fly in the ointment it is the bullpen which did well in the 7th and 8th innings, but the final pitcher, Dotel ,who is not the savior everyone hoped for, gave up all four runs in the 9th.

Yankees win 12-4!

Judy G. Russell
September 13th, 2006, 12:43 AM
I was driving home during the first inning. I kept laughing. And Matsui going 4-4 in his first outing back... man oh man...

ndebord
September 13th, 2006, 11:13 AM
I was driving home during the first inning. I kept laughing. And Matsui going 4-4 in his first outing back... man oh man...

Judy,

And Shef says he's back any time they want him!

Judy G. Russell
September 13th, 2006, 11:34 PM
And Shef says he's back any time they want him!Down to 7 games for the division... depending on the next day or so, we could take it while playing Boston.

ndebord
September 16th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Down to 7 games for the division... depending on the next day or so, we could take it while playing Boston.

Judy,

After Friday's rainout, Mo got another day's rest and we shall see how we handle Beantown in today's doubleheader.

Judy G. Russell
September 16th, 2006, 09:56 PM
After Friday's rainout, Mo got another day's rest and we shall see how we handle Beantown in today's doubleheader.Not so well, so far...

ndebord
September 16th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Not so well, so far...

Judy,

Well, a split and the magic number is now four! In the first game, the Yankees looked lethargic, or perhaps Beckett showed his stuff for a change. Wang had one bad inning and looked O.K. In the nightcap, Johnson looked the same, but the Yankee bats awoke and as has been the case so often this season, it was a group effort, where the Yankees kept coming back and scoring runs when needed, just like the glory years.

<G>

Mike Landi
September 17th, 2006, 05:31 PM
...and these games are No Big Deal for the Yanks...or the Bosox. I can handle the Yanks playing at 75%...as long as Mo gets back healthy, Matsui gets at-bats, and NO ONE GETS HURT!

So we split Saturday and dropped one on Sunday. If we win the second on Sunday...life is good. Heck, we have a 10+ game lead!

ndebord
September 18th, 2006, 12:13 AM
...and these games are No Big Deal for the Yanks...or the Bosox. I can handle the Yanks playing at 75%...as long as Mo gets back healthy, Matsui gets at-bats, and NO ONE GETS HURT!

So we split Saturday and dropped one on Sunday. If we win the second on Sunday...life is good. Heck, we have a 10+ game lead!

Mike,

No such luck, we dropped 3 out of 4, but it is still just academic. Beantown saves some face and we move on to a division title somewhere on the road.

Judy G. Russell
September 18th, 2006, 05:08 PM
So we split Saturday and dropped one on Sunday. If we win the second on Sunday...life is good. Heck, we have a 10+ game lead!Unfortunately, we lost 3 of 4, and that's hard to take against Boston even with the big lead...

ndebord
September 18th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Unfortunately, we lost 3 of 4, and that's hard to take against Boston even with the big lead...

Judy,

Even harder with Varitek's quotes today: to wit, it ain't over till it's over.

Mike Landi
September 19th, 2006, 08:53 AM
At least we showed some life, rallying against Toronto.

Judy G. Russell
September 19th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Even harder with Varitek's quotes today: to wit, it ain't over till it's over.Surely Varitek isn't dumb enough to think they can make up 10 games!!!

Judy G. Russell
September 19th, 2006, 03:31 PM
At least we showed some life, rallying against Toronto.A few bad moments there when Glaus hit that HR, though...

ndebord
September 19th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Surely Varitek isn't dumb enough to think they can make up 10 games!!!

Judy,

Varitek was referring to the wild card, not the division title, where BTW, the Magic Number is now ONE!

Karstens went 6 1/3, gave up 3 runs and Farnsworth closed it out. Along the way Giambi hurt his wrist again, Damon made a GREAT catch in center field to save 3 runs and Farnsworth overcame his creaky back to pitch a scoreless 9th innning and gain his sixth save.

I predict we'll see Giambi on the DL. He is going to get (perhaps) a 3rd cortisone shot and it will probably not work well enough. Think Sheff and Wilson splitting time at first base. Godzilla at DH, Melky in left, Damon in center and Abreu in right. Works for me!

Judy G. Russell
September 19th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Varitek was referring to the wild card, not the division title, where BTW, the Magic Number is now ONE!He's still smokin' something funny. They're 8.5 games back with only 10 games to play.

ndebord
September 20th, 2006, 12:48 AM
He's still smokin' something funny. They're 8.5 games back with only 10 games to play.

Judy,

When he made the comment, they were only 7 games back, but Beantown has continued to sink since he opened his trap.

Mike Landi
September 20th, 2006, 11:12 AM
<gulp> I thought we were cooked.

I cannot imagine the Yankees without Mariano.

ndebord
September 20th, 2006, 11:54 AM
<gulp> I thought we were cooked.

I cannot imagine the Yankees without Mariano.

Mike,

Mo is "almost" fine. I think he just needs a little work now to get in shape and he'll be ready when needed in the playoffs. The good news is that Farnsworth, even with his bad back, is good for every other game and at 100mph on his fastball when healthy, can't be sneezed at. All of this has started to temper him in terms of being able to handle the pressure of The House That Ruth Built.

And then there are all those young pitchers who seemingly came out of nowhere: Karstens, Rasner, Beam, Veras and the kid from Arizona with the 98mph fastball, Bruney.

Judy G. Russell
September 20th, 2006, 03:38 PM
When he made the comment, they were only 7 games back, but Beantown has continued to sink since he opened his trap.Even 7 games back is too far for that kind of comment considering how they've been playing since the All Star Break.

Judy G. Russell
September 20th, 2006, 03:50 PM
I cannot imagine the Yankees without Mariano.It's a scary thought, indeed, but it's going to happen sooner or later. At least we seem to be raising a new crop of baby Bombers... one of them may turn out to be Mo's protege and eventual replacement.

Judy G. Russell
September 20th, 2006, 03:52 PM
And then there are all those young pitchers who seemingly came out of nowhere: Karstens, Rasner, Beam, Veras and the kid from Arizona with the 98mph fastball, Bruney.Amazing, isn't it? Finally the brass seems to realize that one of the best ways to have good pitching is to raise it yourself in your own system. (Can we say "Andy Pettite," boys and girls?)

ndebord
September 21st, 2006, 01:21 AM
Amazing, isn't it? Finally the brass seems to realize that one of the best ways to have good pitching is to raise it yourself in your own system. (Can we say "Andy Pettite," boys and girls?)

Judy,

It's the son-in-law and Cashman, in cahoots and doin' good for da boys from da Bronx.

(finally)

Judy G. Russell
September 21st, 2006, 03:30 PM
It's the son-in-law and Cashman, in cahoots and doin' good for da boys from da Bronx. (finally)Finally, for sure. And I sure ain't gonna argue.