PDA

View Full Version : Google Isn't Everything

davidh
September 11th, 2006, 02:22 AM
Like its counterparts across the country, my Seattle Public Library offers Net access to an increasingly wide range of databases that don't exist on the open Web and, because they reside behind a fee-based gate, don't get indexed by the likes of Google (exception:the academic and scientific works uncovered by the new Google Scholar project). Since libraries license the info in bulk, it typically costs individual users not a penny. Which is a lot less than it can go for on the open Web.

http://www.forbes.com/business/free_forbes/2005/0815/056.html

DH

Judy G. Russell
September 11th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Unfortunately, darn it all, not all public libraries are created equal. Some just don't have the financial resources to sign up for all these wonderful goodies... But even the poorest library does have access to some terrific stuff. And some even still have (gasp) books!

davidh
September 11th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Unfortunately, darn it all, not all public libraries are created equal. Some just don't have the financial resources to sign up for all these wonderful goodies... But even the poorest library does have access to some terrific stuff. And some even still have (gasp) books! some even have LARGE PRINT...

Judy G. Russell
September 11th, 2006, 09:35 PM
some even have LARGE PRINT...And with my aging eyes, I need it!!!