PDA

View Full Version : Fwd: [Dixonary] 1741 - NEW WORD - KYTOON

Toni Savage
September 9th, 2006, 11:45 AM
DQ,DF? Dealerus Quondam, Dealerus Futuram?

Dave Cunningham <cunn5393 (AT) bellsouth (DOT) net> wrote: To: coryphaeus (AT) yahoogroups (DOT) com
From: Dave Cunningham <cunn5393 (AT) bellsouth (DOT) net>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 04:56:09 -0700
Subject: [Dixonary] 1741 - NEW WORD - KYTOON

Kindly send fake definitions or DQs for KYTOON to me at cunn5393 @
bellsouth . net before 8 p.m. EDT on Sunday Sept. 10, 2006.

Dave,
DQ, DF

-- Toni Savage

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Dave Cunningham
September 9th, 2006, 04:21 PM
I take it you are a T. H. White fan? (You forgot the "que") <g>

Dave

Toni Savage
September 10th, 2006, 10:11 PM
I'm not and I don't get it (I'll bet some others don't, either, so I'll be the front man...)

Can someone explain, please?

Dave Cunningham <cunn5393 (AT) bellsouth (DOT) net> wrote:

I take it you are a T. H. White fan? (You forgot the "que")

Dave

--
Dave Cunningham

bonnyjars
September 11th, 2006, 04:30 AM
Toni

Back in the early years (Edward 1 - AD1276 or so) when they were looking for king Athur it was reported that a grave was discovered
at Glastonbury of a very large man with the inscription 'Hic iacet sepultus inclitus rex Arthurus in insula Avalonia'. ("Here lies
King Arthur in the island of Avalon"). FYI it was reburied in high pomp and splendour and became a site of pilgamage until the
reformation.

T. H. White in his 'Once and Future King' (the first book was made into the film 'Sword in the Stone' which I believe was the first
full-length all cartoon film (ie all drawn, no added faces etc) and also into the musical Camelot ) - shortened that to 'Here lies
Arthur, Once and future king' -- or in Latin 'hic iacet Arturus rex quondam rexque futurus' the last four words of which became the
title of the tetralogy "The Once and Future King"

Hence Dave's response to your "DQ,DF? Dealerus Quondam, Dealerus Futuram?" - he was asking/expecting (by parallel) 'dealerus
quondam dealerusque futurus' or some such although I suspect the latin for dealer might be better as dux = (duke or leader) in
which case = dux quondam duxque futurum'

If Dave doesn't mind being called 'duckie' that is but dux seems to fit better than disjecto, distinguo or distribuo, all of which
imply a degree of logicality

JohnnyB

__________________________________________________ _________
Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html