PDA

View Full Version : This sort of thing is...

Judy G. Russell
August 28th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Frightening. Absolutely frightening.

MIAMI, Florida (AP) -- U.S. Rep. Katherine Harris told a religious journal that separation of church and state is "a lie" and God and the nation's founding fathers did not intend the country be "a nation of secular laws."

The Republican candidate for U.S. Senate also said that if Christians are not elected, politicians will "legislate sin," including abortion and gay marriage.

Harris made the comments -- which she clarified Saturday -- in the Florida Baptist Witness, the weekly journal of the Florida Baptist State Convention, which interviewed political candidates and asked them about religion and their positions on issues.

Separation of church and state is "a lie we have been told," Harris said in the interview, published Thursday, saying separating religion and politics is "wrong because God is the one who chooses our rulers."

Lindsey
August 29th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Frightening. Absolutely frightening.
Yes, I saw that. Fortunately for the sake of the First Amendment, she is some 30 points behind in the polls.

After getting some heat for that remark (umm, did she forget that Florida has more than a few Jewish voters??) she sought to clarify herself. As reported by Salon.com's "War Room" yesterday:

As Raw Story (http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Harris_clarifies_statements_on_religion_0828.html) reports, the Harris campaign is backtracking from the candidate's must-elect-Christians mantra by suggesting that she didn't mean to exclude Jewish candidates. "In the interview, Harris was speaking to a Christian audience, addressing a common misperception that people of faith should not be actively involved in government," the campaign says in a statement. "Addressing this Christian publication, Harris provided a statement that explains her deep grounding in Judeo-Christian values."

The statement then offers up a few words of support from Harris' current campaign manager -- he's a grandson of Holocaust survivors -- and a list of "pro-Israel" legislation Harris has supported. No word yet on whether Harris believes Hindus, Buddhists or Muslims should be disqualified from voters' consideration -- or whether clarifications such as the one the Harris campaign just issued are limited to religions that happen to have large voting blocs in the Sunshine State.
And this being Katherine Harris, she has managed to put her foot in it once more. Today's "War Room" reports:

Katherine Harris says it "breaks my heart" if people are upset over a recent interview in which she said that voters shouldn't elect anyone who isn't a Christian.

So does that mean that Harris actually believes the United States is a secular nation? Not exactly. The Orlando Sentinel (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/elections/orl-harris2706aug27,0,3348229.story?page=2&coll=orl-elections-headlines) put the question to Harris, and here's how she responded: "I think that our laws, I mean, I look at how the law originated, even from Moses, the 10 Commandments. And I don't believe, that uh . . . That's how all of our laws originated in the United States, period. I think that's the basis of our rule of law."
Not one bit less scary than before.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
August 29th, 2006, 04:57 PM
I saw that she tried to backtrack. Fact is, I think she said exactly what she meant -- she doesn't believe in a separation of church and state and she does think this is, or should be, a Christian nation.

If I were in Florida, I'd vote for Senator Nelson twice. Maybe more.

Lindsey
August 29th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I saw that she tried to backtrack. Fact is, I think she said exactly what she meant -- she doesn't believe in a separation of church and state and she does think this is, or should be, a Christian nation.
I have no doubt you're right about that. (And yet this is the woman who, when announcing her candidacy (http://www.crooksandliars.com/2005/08/09.html#a4385) on "Hannity & Colmes," struck a pinup pose, three-quarters profile, chest thrust prominently out. I remember thinking at the time, "What does she think this is, a Miss Universe pagent?" It was truly bizarre.)

If I were in Florida, I'd vote for Senator Nelson twice. Maybe more.
Fortunately, Katherine Harris herself seems to be giving Sen. Nelson all the help he needs!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
August 29th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Fortunately, Katherine Harris herself seems to be giving Sen. Nelson all the help he needs!For which we can all be eternally grateful...

Lindsey
August 31st, 2006, 09:21 PM
For which we can all be eternally grateful...
I should have had more faith. I kept telling myself that these Bushies would finally overreach, as extremists always do, and the tide would turn. But I'm not sure I really believed it. It does seem to be what's going on now though. I just hope it's enough to save us from going over the cliff.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
August 31st, 2006, 10:01 PM
Even some Republicans are finally getting it, and breaking with the Bush Administration over critical issues such as Iraq is a civil war, not an apocalyptic battle against the Forces of Evil...

Lindsey
September 1st, 2006, 03:31 PM
Even some Republicans are finally getting it, and breaking with the Bush Administration over critical issues such as Iraq is a civil war, not an apocalyptic battle against the Forces of Evil...
I'm sure there have been a lot of moderate Republicans who have been biting their tongues, not terribly comfortable with the current regime, but feeling a need to be a team player. But I think things have gotten far enough off the track, for one thing, for them to feel they can stay silent; and for another thing, Katrina destroyed the illusion of the administration's invulnerability and emboldened critics to speak up.

--Lindsey