PDA

View Full Version : AOL 9.0 Accused of Behaving Like Badware

davidh
August 28th, 2006, 01:32 PM
AOL 9.0 Accused of Behaving Like Badware

Robert McMillan, IDG News Service Mon Aug 28, 10:00 AM ET

AOL's free Internet client software has earned the company a slap on the wrist from StopBadware.org, a consortium set up to combat malicious software. In a report set to be released today, the group advises users to steer clear of the software because of its "badware behavior."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20060828/tc_pcworld/126928

Safer Searching

http://stopbadware.org/

dh

davidh
August 28th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Note: AOL software ("badware") NOT needed for free AOL features such as email, msg boards, publish blogs, publish web sites, etc.

However, these services are probably not any better than equivalent free services provided by other companies.

dh

Judy G. Russell
August 28th, 2006, 02:41 PM
It certainly isn't the first time forAOL and its software. I don't remember exactly what version of AOL was involved, but some years ago a houseguest of mine installed AOL software on my desktop to use while she was housesitting. It took a format c: /s to fix the terrible things it did to the system.

Lindsey
August 28th, 2006, 03:59 PM
It certainly isn't the first time forAOL and its software. I don't remember exactly what version of AOL was involved, but some years ago a houseguest of mine installed AOL software on my desktop to use while she was housesitting. It took a format c: /s to fix the terrible things it did to the system.
I don't guess that houseguest has been asked back! (Not without the computer room being locked up, anyway!)

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
August 28th, 2006, 11:27 PM
I don't guess that houseguest has been asked back! (Not without the computer room being locked up, anyway!)You're sure right about that... I can't imagine installing a program on someone else's computer without asking permission. Especially something like AOL!

Lindsey
August 29th, 2006, 03:51 PM
You're sure right about that... I can't imagine installing a program on someone else's computer without asking permission. Especially something like AOL!
I can't imagine doing anything with someone else's computer without asking permission!!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
August 29th, 2006, 04:58 PM
I can't imagine doing anything with someone else's computer without asking permission!!She had my permission to use it. That, to me, doesn't mean installing a major piece of software.

Lindsey
August 29th, 2006, 08:53 PM
She had my permission to use it. That, to me, doesn't mean installing a major piece of software.
Agreed. Absolutely. That's a little like repainting someone's house without permission. (And fixing that could possibly be less trouble than fixing an errant software installation . . .)

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
August 29th, 2006, 10:40 PM
I literally couldn't fix everything AOL did to my system. After spending about a week of evenings, I threw in the towel and reformatted the HD. It was easier...

Lindsey
August 31st, 2006, 09:14 PM
I literally couldn't fix everything AOL did to my system. After spending about a week of evenings, I threw in the towel and reformatted the HD. It was easier...
And then after that, probably spent another week or so getting everything re-installed. Yeah, repainting a house would probably be easier. :(

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
August 31st, 2006, 10:02 PM
Well, I tried to look on the bright side. It did clear out an awful lot of trash I had on the C drive...

Lindsey
September 1st, 2006, 03:26 PM
Well, I tried to look on the bright side. It did clear out an awful lot of trash I had on the C drive...
Well, yeah; sort of like burning the house down to get rid of clutter...

--Lindsey

Nick Parkin
September 3rd, 2006, 01:25 PM
She had my permission to use it. That, to me, doesn't mean installing a major piece of software.

I must gather from this that you aren't using XP. The solution is to have a Guest Account, or in my case I had my Father-in-Law house sitting so I creating an account in his name so that he would get the hint. The account, being non-administrator, couldn't install s/w.

As I am as much an enemy of my PC as my houseguests I also keep Drive Images made by Ghost.

Nick

Lindsey
September 3rd, 2006, 10:16 PM
I must gather from this that you aren't using XP.
I think she's using XP now; I suspect this happened before there was such a thing as Windows XP.

That said, I'm not sure that I'd trust someone with no more sense of "house guest etiquette" than that to touch my computer again, even with a severely restricted guest account.

--Lindsey