PDA

View Full Version : cookie domains to login to CS/NS forums?

davidh
August 23rd, 2006, 05:58 PM
Anybody know the full list of domains that must be allowed to set cookies so that one can login to Compuserve forums?

login.compuserve.com
my.screenname.aol.com
community.compuserve.com
???

I'd rather have a "white list" approach, than just enable cookies for the whole world.

dh

davidh
August 23rd, 2006, 07:53 PM
Anybody know the full list of domains that must be allowed to set cookies so that one can login to Compuserve forums?

login.compuserve.com
my.screenname.aol.com
community.compuserve.com
???

I'd rather have a "white list" approach, than just enable cookies for the whole world.

dh

" In summary, in an important step to avoid login problems, one needs to be certain that cookies can be accepted from these big five domains:

aol.com
atwola.com
compuserve.com
netscape.com
prospero.com "

http://community.compuserve.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?msg=1658.2&nav=messages&webtag=ws-practice

Gary Maltzen
August 24th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Alternatively you could use Firefox and configure it to "Keep Cookies: until I close Firefox".
That way there are NO saved cookies.

davidh
August 24th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Turns out I actually had to use the long list, otherwise I had some problem(s).

" If Mozilla is more fine-grained than that, then you need to accept cookies from:
aol.com
ar.atwola.com
atwola.com
channels.netscape.com
community.compuserve.com
community.netscape.com
compuserve.com
login.compuserve.com
member.compuserve.com
my.screenname.aol.com
netscape.com
screenname.aol.com
snlogin.aol.com "

Same link as in prev. msg.:

http://community.compuserve.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?msg=1658.2&nav=messages&webtag=ws-practice

davidh
August 24th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Alternatively you could use Firefox and configure it to "Keep Cookies: until I close Firefox".
That way there are NO saved cookies.

Yes, I already have that set like that.

I also have image in FF set to download/display only from originating site or whatever they call it. Then I have a white list for images.

For example, I need to "allow" images from acx.prosper.com [i think] to get the buttons/icons to show up on the CS/NS Prospero forums web messaging interface, so that I can properly click them to run the jscript or whatever is "underneath" them.

Mainly I'm trying to defeat such things as "web beacons". I figure my personal info will eventually probably be compromised by some gov't or business entity on the net, etc. So I'll at least try to exact a minimal pre-emptive revenge.

Cynic in Cinncinati,

dh

MollyM/CA
September 7th, 2006, 05:04 PM
" If Mozilla is more fine-grained ...

I haven't been able to get into CS forums with Mozilla (other than as a guest) for months. I've tried session cookies, blanket cookies (retained between sessions), zapping all relevant cookies, and no cookies. If anyone has a fix for this I'd love to hear it. Sometimes zapping the long, long list will get me in ONCE.

m

ndebord
September 7th, 2006, 06:22 PM
I haven't been able to get into CS forums with Mozilla (other than as a guest) for months. I've tried session cookies, blanket cookies (retained between sessions), zapping all relevant cookies, and no cookies. If anyone has a fix for this I'd love to hear it. Sometimes zapping the long, long list will get me in ONCE.

m

Molly,

I no longer use Mozilla (either the Suite or Seamonkey) nor FireFox, instead I use K-Meleon 1.0.1 and it works o.k. There was a bit of a problem recently, which I have heard was ad related where Prospero asked you for a second round of login info...my kludge was to just hit the back button and then the forward button and I was able to login with no problems. Probably something weird in the cache.

(K-Meleon is based on the latest Seamonkey Gecko engine)

Have you looked at your password file? It is possible that something in there changed and in the past, I have fixed login problems by deleting all info there (in addition to cookies) and starting fresh.

Lindsey
September 7th, 2006, 08:21 PM
I haven't been able to get into CS forums with Mozilla (other than as a guest) for months.
I use Mozilla, but I haven't had any trouble getting into CompuServe forums. What kind of error are you seeing?

--Lindsey

Gary Maltzen
September 7th, 2006, 08:56 PM
I haven't been able to get into CS forums with Mozilla (other than as a guest) for months.Which version of Mozilla?
What happens when you try to login?

davidh
September 8th, 2006, 04:32 AM

m
Possible (but not necessarily likely) issues:

1. if any cookies are blocked

2. if any scripting is blocked

3. if any images are blocked

4. if any virtual key cookies were set (probably IMPOSSIBLE)

5. Classic ID versus "screen name" (AOL/NS/CS2000) ID

6. if using "screen name" type ID, outside chance that logging into http://my.screenname.aol.com first might help?

7. maybe try MS IE if haven't done so yet, just to make sure nothing glitchy in LAN/Internet/DIALUP is goofin' it up

8. I sometimes have problems where "bug" in ZA firewall interacts with private LAN IP addresses and public Internet IP addresses and net mask, etc. such that I may have to fiddle with router and WINIPCFG (release/renew).

9. Give up and get a drink in the Taproom.

DH

Peter Creasey
September 8th, 2006, 08:36 AM
I haven't been able to get into CS forums with Mozilla (other than as a guest) for months.

Molly, You might should consider moving up to the current suite which is SeaMonkey 1.04. I have no problem ever using SeaMonkey 1.04 and logging in to various sites, including CIS/NS.

If you really do feel your problem is a Mozilla/SeaMonkey problem, you can post an inquiry about your problem on the Mozilla/SeaMonkey Board (http://forums.mozillazine.org/) .

MollyM/CA
September 8th, 2006, 01:00 PM
No, the password works. Someone on DTP included a link to CS's PCHW forum as part of an answer to a question, and the link logged me in as a guest --I hit the log-in button, got apparently the usual log-in screen, pre-filled, and it logged me right in.

I don't doubt for a minute that it's all ad-related and, specifically, related to IE and Maxthon's inability to block ads (and, probably, a lot of spying) versus Mozilla's outstanding ad-blocking.

MollyM/CA
September 8th, 2006, 01:53 PM
What kind of error are you seeing?

--Lindsey

It's likely to be anything --might endlessly cycle through the various redirects, just say "area not available, try again later," or....

I' ve been told it's a software bug (WHAAAAT? A bug in the forum software? Never heard of such a thing.) --and today I clicked on my bookmark, which is and always has been

http://community.compuserve.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=MyForums&webtag=ws-gardening

and went right to 'my stuff' --bypassing the login screen or going through it so fast I didn't see it! So it wasn't just the link.

Leaves the question of why I've had all this trouble over the past months and you haven't. I do keep Mozilla more or less up to date. (1.7.13 at the moment)

m

MollyM/CA
September 8th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Maybe I might-should. Can I keep my stuff --cookies, favorites, passwords, get a Googlebar that works? Can I run SeaMonkey to try it without removing Mozilla?

Oh, and: we are talking PC, not Mac, here, aren't we?

MollyM/CA
September 8th, 2006, 02:01 PM
PS: What I was told, by someone who wasn't telling where the information came from, was that it was a software problem that affected Mozilla and possibly sometimes Firefox and who knows what other browsers, not a Mozilla problem per se.

I just hope it stays fixed. I exited the browser and signed in again, but didn't disconnect or reboot to test.

Lindsey
September 8th, 2006, 09:21 PM
It's likely to be anything --might endlessly cycle through the various redirects, just say "area not available, try again later," or....
Hmmmm. I've never seen anything like that. The only problem I've ever had -- and it happens only once in a blue moon -- is that after clicking on the button to log in (I stopped saving login cookies after I somehow got logged in on someone else's account one time), I get just a blank screen. Usually if I go away and come back an hour or so later, I get logged in just fine.

I' ve been told it's a software bug (WHAAAAT? A bug in the forum software? Never heard of such a thing.)
LOL!! Yeah, I suppose it could be; like you, I have my bookmark set to go to a "My Stuff" display.

--Lindsey

Peter Creasey
September 9th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Maybe I might-should. Can I keep my stuff --cookies, favorites, passwords, get a Googlebar that works? Can I run SeaMonkey to try it without removing Mozilla?
Oh, and: we are talking PC, not Mac, here, aren't we?

Molly, Yes, yes, and yes!

I'm not familiar with Googlebar so can't comment on that.

Running SeaMonkey without removing Mozilla should be fine except most people recommend that you use separate profiles.

MollyM/CA
September 9th, 2006, 02:38 PM
I bulled ahead and did it even before I picked up your answer, such is my faith in TapCis members --installed Sea Monkey and love it! No glitz and great features. (I have never been comfortable with FireFox and it hasn't run all that well for me, for no reason I understand --plus I've found 'Scribe' quite useful for dealing with .htm files.)

I of course had Mozilla set up to automatically do the 'quick start' thing, which gave me a bit of trouble with Sea Monkey's profiles after a cold boot, as it kept telling me the default profile was in use. I eventually remembered about Mozilla's 'quick start' and turned it off --no more trouble.

I installed the Googlebar and so far it works fine.

The next dumb question is, if I uninstall Mozilla will Sea Monkey keep all the settings and data? I was thrilled that the passwords came along --such a pain to build the file again.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for telling me about Sea Monkey. I'd seen it on the Mozilla.org site and never investigated. Too bad they don't have a big banner with it --"Not so happy with Firefox? Uneasy about not being able to update Mozilla? Get Sea Monkey!"

davidh
September 10th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Do they have a picture of the sea monkey? I thought the fire breathing mozilla was a bit threatening, although maybe handy in case you need to roast some fish in a hury.

DH

Peter Creasey
September 10th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Do they have a picture of the sea monkey?

David, View this good picture of the SeaMonkey Logo (http://users.skynet.be/fa258499/)

Peter Creasey
September 10th, 2006, 10:35 AM
if I uninstall Mozilla will Sea Monkey keep all the settings and data? I was thrilled that the passwords came along --such a pain to build the file again.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for telling me about Sea Monkey.

Molly, You're quite welcome! I am glad that you are as pleased with SeaMonkey as I have been. As a former, longtime OzWin2 user, I transitioned to using SeaMonkey's email handler and like it a lot also (I use it exclusively now). I've used the Composer only minimally.

I have always uninstalled Mozilla and SeaMonkey (and say "NO" to removing the directory [folder]) before installing the new version. I would probably reference the SeaMonkey help site that I referenced you to before I would start uninstalling things now that you have everything working. Having said this, I do believe it would be fine to uninstall Mozilla.

MollyM/CA
September 10th, 2006, 02:04 PM
And the Mozilla Navigator insignia in the upper right --a square divided into a blue and orange triangle with that oh so comforting 'm' in the blue--

The Sea Monkey quickly becomes as appealing as my old friend the Mozilla lizard --but then I'm married to a herpetologist and appreciated such a beast--

MollyM/CA
September 10th, 2006, 02:18 PM
It's the passwords --they tend not to migrate from one version to the next. Didn't someone say that SeaMonkey had a password dump so the list could be saved to a file? I do try to stash them as I create them, but with every imaginable site demanding a password now a good few get missed. (There's a workaround but I doubt me it's a good idea to publish it--)

So I've taken to installing Mozilla on top of itself when upgrading, and despite their dire warnings have never had any trouble (that I know of) with the program.

The HTML editor is useful for dealing with order forms that you're supposed to print out and fill in by hand (remember those? A couple of small seed companies still do their business that way--), or HTMs that you download for reference, to eliminate the junk. Much more penetrable than the WinWord equivalent, to me anyway.

I've been using Pegasus mail for a long time now, and find it somewhat equivalent to TapCis's in that mail is stored as plain text (with lines and lines of routing info though) and the editor uses some of the same control-key shortcuts, particularly ^T which I'd have a hard time living without. Pegasus also has an astonishing search utility. Of all the other e-mail programs I tried, though, Mozilla's was really the best --no bloat and reliable. I'll have to take a look at SeaMonkey's.

Judy G. Russell
September 10th, 2006, 02:47 PM
It's the passwords --they tend not to migrate from one version to the next. They certainly should. The profile folder, which is where all this stuff is kept, should be separate from the program folders. At worst, do a backup of the profile folder so you can restore from there.