PDA

View Full Version : FF 1.5.0.6 + McAfee Siteadvisor 23 = crash?

davidh
August 23rd, 2006, 02:11 PM
I just updated my McAfee Siteadvisor from 22 to 23 on FF 1.5.0.6, but then FF always crashed on start.

I uninstalled and reinstalled FF 1.5.0.6 WITHOUT Siteadvisor, OK so far.

I only saved the book mark files from each of two profiles. I probably could have saved other stuff too, like cookie permissions, but decided it wasn't worth it. After upgrading/updating from FF 1.0.x whatever to v. 1.5.0.6 I figured chances were probably good that some configuration/preferences might have been messed up to the point where it was better to just start over.

I'm going to pass on siteadvisor and noscript too. noscript gives me problems with yahoo webmail.

dh

Judy G. Russell
August 23rd, 2006, 03:44 PM
Sigh... I told you McAfee was baaaaaad on this stuff!

davidh
August 23rd, 2006, 04:21 PM
Sigh... I told you McAfee was baaaaaad on this stuff! You are probably right. But I am still using siteadvisor on MS IE since support for IE 6 on Win 98 ended, I can't patch IE, so I resort to Siteadvisor for a little extra safety on the rare times that I use IE.

The fact that FF noscript extension is so popular and yet still has problems on FF does suggest to me that writing bullet proof extensions to Mozilla products is by no means a trivial challenge. But at least with an "extension" in FF, unlike BHO's in IE, one is accessing the network through a more or less "known quantity" namely FF, as opposed to a relatively unknown quantity, namely the 3rd party DLL containing the BHO functionality (even tho' the BHO is still probably not accessing the network directly).

dh

fhaber
August 23rd, 2006, 04:49 PM
David, you want my guess? It's not so much that FF extensions are more difficult, or have more constrained access. The majority browser gets the worm, and is tested more, and earlier. The majority browser may in fact be inferior, the lesser program. So sad. This is the way of the world.

davidh
August 23rd, 2006, 05:53 PM
David, you want my guess? It's not so much that FF extensions are more difficult, or have more constrained access. The majority browser gets the worm, and is tested more, and earlier. The majority browser may in fact be inferior, the lesser program. So sad. This is the way of the world. Makes sense. There's probably more programmers out there who know the IE interface, than those who would have had training in the FF/Mozilla interface.

dh

davidh
August 23rd, 2006, 06:03 PM
Lucky I had saved the Sun Java 2 run time environment v.1.4.2 (16MB)

I don't know if my fresh reinstall of FF would have forced me to DL the whole 16MB (on dial up), but luckily I had saved the Sun installer for Java 2 RTE.

Now I'll have to see how it goes with the other plugins such as quicktime and real audio, sooner or later.

dh