PDA

View Full Version : Yankees head to Weekend from Hell

Mike Landi
August 16th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Detroit did it again!!! Johnny Damon and Jorge won the game for us and the Sox slipped. If we can hold the three game lead, we will be in good shape for this 'weekend in hell'.

Judy G. Russell
August 16th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Five games in four days sure qualifies for THAT title. What's our rotation for the series? (Come ON Detroit!)

Mike Landi
August 16th, 2006, 01:14 PM
I think it is Wang, then Ponson on Friday, then Johnson, Musina, and Lidle.

The Red Sox will be a desperate team. They are three back now and if they slip more, they may be out of the playoffs.

Judy G. Russell
August 16th, 2006, 04:03 PM
I think it is Wang, then Ponson on Friday, then Johnson, Musina, and Lidle.Hmmm...

The Red Sox will be a desperate team. They are three back now and if they slip more, they may be out of the playoffs.To quote Han Solo, "Don't get cocky, kid!" We have eight games with them yet to go, including this weekend, and we still have to face Detroit ourselves for a three-game series.

Mike Landi
August 16th, 2006, 08:39 PM
We will be tested over the next eight weeks. I like how we look, now...can we execute?

Judy G. Russell
August 16th, 2006, 11:07 PM
I liked how we looked before we lost to Baltimore tonight...

Mike Landi
August 17th, 2006, 08:21 AM
We stunk last night, and it was not all Cory Lidle. He settled down and gave up only three. We could not score when we had tons of chances.

I hope we can avoid that type of performance in Boston.

Judy G. Russell
August 17th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I hope we can avoid that type of performance in Boston.It'd be nice if we could have avoided it this afternoon too!

Mike Landi
August 17th, 2006, 02:16 PM
What the @#%&? is going on? Baltimore is killing us. We are now going into Boston 1 1/2 ahead? We should have FEASTED on the 'Birds.

(I can hear Gail laughing now...)

ndebord
August 17th, 2006, 09:14 PM
What the @#%&? is going on? Baltimore is killing us. We are now going into Boston 1 1/2 ahead? We should have FEASTED on the 'Birds.

(I can hear Gail laughing now...)

Mike,

It is certainly Gail's fault. She's been very busy quietly doing her thing with those Voodoo pin!

I guess the good news is they managed to get Dotel some innings and he is still throwing 93mph fastballs and a very good curve in the mid 80s. We need him to be well and good in Beantown.

<sigh>

(I've been offline for the last two days, so will try to catch up here when I can get away from reinstall issues.)

Judy G. Russell
August 17th, 2006, 10:21 PM
What the @#%&? is going on? Baltimore is killing us. We are now going into Boston 1 1/2 ahead? We should have FEASTED on the 'Birds.Somebody I know started talking about a Bosox meltdown and JINXED us!!!

(I can hear Gail laughing now...)Only too true, I'm afraid...

ndebord
August 18th, 2006, 02:53 AM
Somebody I know started talking about a Bosox meltdown and JINXED us!!!

Only too true, I'm afraid...

Well, it IS the dog days of August, so a dog fight is not unexpected, particularly when you think of New York and Boston.

<sigh>

Judy G. Russell
August 18th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Well, it IS the dog days of August, so a dog fight is not unexpected, particularly when you think of New York and Boston.I'd rather have us 12 games ahead going into the series, if you don't mind...

ndebord
August 18th, 2006, 10:59 AM
I'd rather have us 12 games ahead going into the series, if you don't mind...

Judy,

Sure and I'd like Snow in August too!

;-)

Mike Landi
August 18th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Dotel also got hammered yesterday (then again, everyone did).

This is going to be a LONNNNNNG weekend.

Mike Landi
August 18th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Somebody I know started talking about a Bosox meltdown and JINXED us!!!

He calls 'em as he sees 'em.

...and I saw crap yesterday.

Mike Landi
August 18th, 2006, 01:02 PM
I'd like Snow in August too!

<spitting water>

I'm sure Judy would love that also! <gd&r>

ndebord
August 18th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Dotel also got hammered yesterday (then again, everyone did).

This is going to be a LONNNNNNG weekend.

Mike,

Dotel will be fine. Just rust, unless he still has arm troubles. The only question for me is has enough of the rust been chipped off with Baltimore so he can be ready for Boston. I certainly hope so. We need another relief pitcher desperately.

Mike Landi
August 18th, 2006, 01:37 PM
We'll need him.

Wang is burning up pitches and the game is tied at 1.

Judy G. Russell
August 18th, 2006, 02:35 PM
It's now 4-3 Yankees and I'm not getting much work done...

Judy G. Russell
August 18th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Whoop whoop whoop! It's now 8-3 Yankees...

Mike Landi
August 18th, 2006, 03:13 PM
I am getting ZERO done!

...and it is 8-3 Yanks!!!

Mike Landi
August 18th, 2006, 03:13 PM
So, when do we get a 'Bronx' section here???? <g>

Judy G. Russell
August 18th, 2006, 05:27 PM
So, when do we get a 'Bronx' section here???? <g>Uh... there are those who think we already have it, and are giving us Bronx cheers...

TWELVE TO FOUR. Not bad. Not bad at all. Even if we split the next four, we come out okay.

Judy G. Russell
August 18th, 2006, 11:55 PM
I saw crap yesterday.You sure didn't today -- two games down, two in the win column! Even ARod's errors couldn't cost the Bombers these games! Whew!!!!

ndebord
August 19th, 2006, 12:10 PM
You sure didn't today -- two games down, two in the win column! Even ARod's errors couldn't cost the Bombers these games! Whew!!!!

Judy,

Ah, looks like I looked at the early scores. What a comeback, down 10-7 and coming back to win 14-11. WOW!

(Ponson is kind of forgiven...)

Judy G. Russell
August 19th, 2006, 12:32 PM
What a comeback, down 10-7 and coming back to win 14-11. WOW!It was fabulous...

(Ponson is kind of forgiven...)Well, now, I don't know that I'd go that far...

Judy G. Russell
August 19th, 2006, 03:30 PM
You know, if this wasn't such a hot rivalry, I might even feel sorry for Boston. Robbie Cano just hit a homer with two men on and the score is now 13-5 Yanks. And there's only one out...

ndebord
August 19th, 2006, 04:16 PM
You know, if this wasn't such a hot rivalry, I might even feel sorry for Boston. Robbie Cano just hit a homer with two men on and the score is now 13-5 Yanks. And there's only one out...

Judy,

Feel sorry for those beantowners? Not in this lifetime!

Meanwhile, Joe Torre is a freakin' genius. What can you say about a guy who pitches Johnson for 7 innings, then WRIGHT in relief for one inning and remembers that he liked T.J. Beam (even though he bombed in his initial callup from Columbus last month) and brought him in to finish the game in the 9th inning!!!

Oh yes, Johnson, 7 innings, 5 runs. Almost self-destructed in the middle innings but then finished strong, very strong. Wright and Beam, each pitched a scoreless inning. Impresssive.

The hitting? Outstanding!!!

Mike Landi
August 19th, 2006, 08:26 PM
..and, and, 14-11.....and, and, 13-5!

Am I dreaming this?????

Mike Landi
August 19th, 2006, 08:26 PM
E-Rod tried, but he could not lose the game for us Friday! <weak grin>

Mike Landi
August 19th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Ponson has been punted! Designated for assignment. He's outta here!

Mike Landi
August 19th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Johnson showed a lot of guts today, and humility. He got himself into, and then out of trouble. He out smarted Boston and trusted his catcher. Good job, and great that he went into the seventh.

Using Wright for an inning was genius. I'll bet it was his work day, so why not work from the mound? The main stays of the bullpen got to rest (for us) and Boston's got beat on again.

The Yanks look good and they are playing hungry!

Judy G. Russell
August 19th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Am I dreaming this?????If you are, please don't wake up. It's such a happy dream.

Judy G. Russell
August 19th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Joe Torre is a freakin' genius.That, my friend, is quite definitely the understatement of the year.

Judy G. Russell
August 19th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Ponson has been punted! Designated for assignment. He's outta here!And he should be so lucky as not to have the door smack him on the way out. I don't want to take away the fact that he was there, a warm body on the mound, when having that was critical, and I seem to recall he even pitched a good game. But geez...

Judy G. Russell
August 19th, 2006, 10:11 PM
The Yanks look good and they are playing hungry!And they are playing smart. Alex Rodriguez may be having a terrible year in many ways, but even he knew enough to stand there and let them walk him in.

ndebord
August 20th, 2006, 09:56 AM
That, my friend, is quite definitely the understatement of the year.

Judy,

And now (we hope) for the stake in the heart. Moose against Schilling.

Judy G. Russell
August 20th, 2006, 03:10 PM
And now (we hope) for the stake in the heart. Moose against Schilling.I'm not counting on this one... but it sure would be nice...

Mike Landi
August 20th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Well, in the rain delay, Boston is up 2-0, but Schilling has used a lot of pitches so far.

I do not think I will be awake for the end of this one.

Judy G. Russell
August 20th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Can't we DO something about David Ortiz...???

Judy G. Russell
August 21st, 2006, 12:30 AM
I'm gonna be sorry tomorrow... or should I say "later today" ... but oh my... 8-5 thanks to two homers in the top of the 10th...

It is soooooooooo sweet.

ndebord
August 21st, 2006, 12:33 AM
Can't we DO something about David Ortiz...???

Judy,

Mo took care of that. Ortiz made the final out. Four straight wins!

Mike Landi
August 21st, 2006, 08:41 AM
I turned it off when Ortiz hit his HR. I was drifting off, even though I wanted to watch.

I think I would have thrown up seeing Ortiz up in the 10th with a chance against Mo!

Mike Landi
August 21st, 2006, 08:42 AM
He is a Yankee killing machine!

But....we have Mo!!!

ndebord
August 21st, 2006, 09:40 AM
He is a Yankee killing machine!

But....we have Mo!!!

Mike,

The one, two punch of Manny and Papi is the best in baseball. But we had Giambi!

Mike Landi
August 21st, 2006, 11:38 AM
and Melky! Papi and Manny is a dangerous combination, but we have it down the line.

Jason has come so far back from the depths of hell. No one complains about his contract anymore!

ndebord
August 21st, 2006, 12:55 PM
and Melky! Papi and Manny is a dangerous combination, but we have it down the line.

Jason has come so far back from the depths of hell. No one complains about his contract anymore!

Mike,

With his batting average down, you'd think he was in decline, but his base percentage and rbis are right up there. They are doing the Ted Williams shift on him and he is still getting his runs to right field. Mattingly tried to get him to go to left field in the Spring and it just did not work for Giambi.

ndebord
August 21st, 2006, 01:53 PM
I'm gonna be sorry tomorrow... or should I say "later today" ... but oh my... 8-5 thanks to two homers in the top of the 10th...

It is soooooooooo sweet.

Judy,

And the final game is a nailbiter. Zero Zero in the 6th inning, but in the 5th inning, Cora started off with a single to right, crisp sacrificed Cora to 2nd. Loretta hit a grounder to 3rd and Big Papi walked. Lidle was walking a thin line there in a scoreless game, but Kapler then grounded into a fielder's choice and we're on to the 6th inning in a scoreless game between Lidle and Boomer!

Judy G. Russell
August 21st, 2006, 02:44 PM
we're on to the 6th inning in a scoreless game between Lidle and Boomer!It's the top of the 8th and it's 1-0 Yanks... geez... my heart can't take any more of this!

Mike Landi
August 21st, 2006, 02:52 PM
Make that 2-0. Nick Green. Who'd a thought?

Who'd a thought we would take 4 of 5 and are on the verge of a sweep?

Mike Landi
August 21st, 2006, 02:54 PM
Giambi is a key part of the lineup. He comes up early in the order and he scares the hell out of opposition pitching.

What a lineup!

Mike Landi
August 21st, 2006, 03:15 PM
YEAH!!!!!!!!!

THE YANKEES WIN!!!!!!!!

We swept them!

I'm going to pass out......

Judy G. Russell
August 21st, 2006, 04:07 PM
BREAK OUT THE BROOMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ndebord
August 21st, 2006, 08:10 PM
BREAK OUT THE BROOMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Judy,

The first sweep in just about forever, and as Cashman said, "Lidle was key to the Abreu trade."

How sweeeet it is!

<g>

Mike Landi
August 21st, 2006, 09:12 PM
All praise King George and Grand Wizard Brian!

Brian for setting up the deal and George for still having the guts to do it!

Judy G. Russell
August 21st, 2006, 10:25 PM
How sweeeet it is!I'll drink to that!

Judy G. Russell
August 21st, 2006, 10:26 PM
All praise King George and Grand Wizard Brian! Brian for setting up the deal and George for still having the guts to do it!I'll drink to that too!

ndebord
August 21st, 2006, 11:14 PM
I'll drink to that!

Judy,

As I sit here with my Maker's Mark, good old country sipping bourbon, I heartily, if groggily, concur.

<VBG>

Judy G. Russell
August 22nd, 2006, 12:08 AM
As I sit here with my Maker's Mark, good old country sipping bourbon, I heartily, if groggily, concur.<VBG>Here'sh to dat...

Mike Landi
August 22nd, 2006, 09:19 AM
I'll keep drinking! <g>

I think I'll spend some time today reading Boston newspapers. <evil grin>

Mike Landi
August 22nd, 2006, 09:20 AM
Uh, Judy...

Your wurdn' yur slurs...

Judy G. Russell
August 22nd, 2006, 03:32 PM
I think I'll spend some time today reading Boston newspapers. <evil grin>It was fun doing that... especially the Herald.