PDA

View Full Version : Ghost of Dixonary Past

Lindsey
June 7th, 2005, 10:14 PM
My apologies for adding to the message traffic in this section, but it seemed the best place to post this.

Have any of you seen the new GEICO ad that's constructed around a spelling bee? The word in the spelling bee is "floccinaucinihilipilification," which I immediately recognized as a former Dixonary word--dealt by none other than Steve Dixon in Round 175, according to Scott Crom's archive files. I well remember the word, because I composed a 4-line rhyme for it when Steve posted it. The problem is that I can no longer remember the third line of the rhyme, and I was wondering if any of the old timers here had it stashed in their message archives. I can't find it anywhere in mine, but at that time, I was dreadfully short of disk space, and I guess I was pruning things rather aggressively.

Here's what I can remember of the rhyme:

A monstrous word is floccinaucinihilipilification!
What fevered brain, what cankered soul, the source of its tortured creation?
<Da-DAH da-DAH da-DAH da-DAH da-DAH-da da-DAH-da da-DAH-da>?
Or was it just the letter "i" in profligate multiplication?

If anybody can supply me with line 3, I'd be most grateful!!

--Lindsey

Wayne Scott
June 8th, 2005, 01:56 AM
My apologies for adding to the message traffic in this section, but it seemed the best place to post this.

Have any of you seen the new GEICO ad that's constructed around a spelling bee? The word in the spelling bee is "floccinaucinihilipilification," which I immediately recognized as a former Dixonary word--dealt by none other than Steve Dixon in Round 175, according to Scott Crom's archive files. I well remember the word, because I composed a 4-line rhyme for it when Steve posted it. The problem is that I can no longer remember the third line of the rhyme, and I was wondering if any of the old timers here had it stashed in their message archives. I can't find it anywhere in mine, but at that time, I was dreadfully short of disk space, and I guess I was pruning things rather aggressively.

Here's what I can remember of the rhyme:

A monstrous word is floccinaucinihilipilification!
What fevered brain, what cankered soul, the source of its tortured creation?
<Da-DAH da-DAH da-DAH da-DAH da-DAH-da da-DAH-da da-DAH-da>?
Or was it just the letter "i" in profligate multiplication?

If anybody can supply me with line 3, I'd be most grateful!!

--Lindsey
I said with a grin as I wiped off my chin,

Wayne

Wayne Scott
June 8th, 2005, 01:58 AM
I was broken and sad, and angry and mad

Lindsey
June 8th, 2005, 04:48 PM
I was broken and sad, and angry and mad
Oh, you're just making them up!! No, it would have rhymed with the other three lines, and I remember that it was a question, a tongue-in-cheek hypothesis as to the source of the word, with the last line as an alternative hypothesis. I can't remember what I originally wrote, and I can't find it saved anywhere.

--Lindsey