PDA

View Full Version : No more scrolling with OzWin

su/oubeck
July 30th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Help!!

I'm still using Ozzie cos it's still working, and I like it, and if it ain't fixed and all that.

So now I have a little problem and perhaps someone here has the memory of an elephant and can tell me how to cure it.

I use Firefox and recently updated this. Now I can't scroll when using Ozzie. I can scroll elsewhere. I seem to remember this happening some time ago, and it got fixed (perhaps just rebooting), but this time, I'm stuck.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Su

sidney
July 31st, 2006, 07:00 AM
Now I can't scroll when using Ozzie. I can scroll elsewhere

Su, when you say that you can't scroll, do you mean using the mouse wheel, or you can't scroll by clicking on the scroll bar, or not even with the keyboard?

-- sidney

su/oubeck
July 31st, 2006, 03:25 PM
when you say that you can't scroll, do you mean using the mouse wheel, or you can't scroll by clicking on the scroll bar, or not even with the keyboard?

Hello Sidney,

Is it snowing down under yet? We've just had weeks of 30 C, including some 35-40 C days. I've melted - perhaps the mouse has too!

I can scroll using the scroll bar, I can scroll with the keyboard, but not with the mouse wheel.

I've tried to find an update or similar for the mouse, but no luck, this model seems to have dropped off the edge of the world. It's an ancient Logitech Cordless MouseMan Wheel, and IIRC when I got the new computer with XP, the mouse "just worked", I didn't have to reinstall any software for it.

Seems funny it just stopped scrolling in Ozzie.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance,

Su

sidney
July 31st, 2006, 04:04 PM
Is it snowing down under yet? We've just had weeks of 30 C, including some 35-40 C days

It never snows on the part of North Island where I live. We have had a couple of mornings where I've seen a little frost on some grass or some neighbor's roofs, but that's as cold as it gets.
I can scroll using the scroll bar, I can scroll with the keyboard, but not with the mouse wheel.

As I recall, there were some mice for which the mouse wheel just would not work in OzWin. Because OzWin is written for Windows 3.1, it is dependent on the mouse driver properly translating the wheel motion into what Windows 3.1 programs see as a series of arrow key presses. At any time a Windows XP update could make that stop working, as it is likley that vendors are not really paying attention to that functionality anymore. However there was a freeware program that we recommended and perhaps had in the forum library that fixed the problem if the driver would not do the trick.

I've been trying to find my old archives to track that down, but haven't unearthed them yet. Maybe someone will jump in with the information. In the meantime I'll keep looking.

-- sidney

Leonard ("Lee") Pilzer
August 1st, 2006, 10:37 AM
Hello Su and Sidney,

The program Sidney mentioned is called FreeWheel. Su, if you'll provide an e-mail address, I'll be happy to send the program to you. (The zipped file is 141 KB.)

-- Lee

sidney
August 1st, 2006, 11:18 AM
The program Sidney mentioned is called FreeWheel

Yes, that's it! It's also still available on the web here (http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/2060/freewheel.html). The download link is near the top of the page, the install and setup instructions are farther down. Thanks, Lee.

-- sidney

su/oubeck
August 1st, 2006, 03:15 PM
It never snows on the part of North Island where I live. We have had a couple of mornings where I've seen a little frost on some grass or some neighbor's roofs, but that's as cold as it gets.

Sidney,

That's boring! How can you have a winter with no snow? I always disliked being south of the equator for Nov-March, I missed my winter.

As I recall, there were some mice for which the mouse wheel just would not work in OzWin.

That's what annoyed me - it used to work, then suddenly didn't. I've been using FreeWheel for ages now, got it through the forum. I downloaded it again, just in case, but the latest update was 1998?9? which seems like yesterday to me, but.

Under FreeWheel properties, it shows Windows NT5.1, native mouse wheel support provided by windows, mouse wheel present. XP doesn't seem to come into it.

Would it help if I bought a new mouse? Plugged in an old(er) mouse for Ozzie? Giving up on Ozzie isn't an option for me.

On a slightly different note - what will happen now to Ozzie? Slow breakdown, sudden collapse, being killed off by TPTB?

Thanks for your time and help,

Su

su/oubeck
August 1st, 2006, 03:19 PM
Hello Su and Sidney,

The program Sidney mentioned is called FreeWheel. Su, if you'll provide an e-mail address, I'll be happy to send the program to you. (The zipped file is 141 KB.)

-- Lee

Lee,

I've been using the programme since someone mentioned it in the old forum. I downloaded it again (2 seconds!), but that didn't help either. sniff.

I shall have to dig out the old mice from the cellar and see if any of them will still scroll within Ozzie. I'm a dinosaur I suppose, change is difficult for me since my husband was ill and lost the ability to deal with the computer. I like to keep things nice and simple these days.

Thanks anyway for the offer. :) :)

Su

Dan in Saint Louis
August 1st, 2006, 05:58 PM
Under FreeWheel properties, it shows Windows NT5.1, native mouse wheel support provided by windows, mouse wheel present. XP doesn't seem to come into it.
I believe XP IS 5.1?

sidney
August 1st, 2006, 07:51 PM
How can you have a winter with no snow?

I got used to that when I lived in California. Having at least some beach days in every month of the year made up for the lack of snow there. Here the weather seems never to get as good as that in the winter, even though the coldest days are not as cold as the coldest winter days in Santa Cruz.

One consolation is that having grown up in New England I never think that it is cold here, even when everyone else is complaining.

The other consolation is that having very recently found a place outside of the suburbs where we've been living for almost four years I can look forward to views like this (http://www.sidney.com/slides/new_home/target23.html), which was taken from the deck of our new house in the dead of winter.

The Windows internal description for XP is "NT5.1". FreeWheel is identifying that correctly, is detecting that you have a mouse wheel supported by 32 bit Windows, and so should do its job of forwarding the mouse wheel support from there to 16 bit Windows 3.1 programs such as OzWin. If it doesn't work anymore, I'm not sure what to do. Trying a different mouse is one option. You could also try right-clicking on the OzWin icon, in Properties select the Compatibility tab, check 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' and select different choices to see if any help, with and without FreeWheel.

On a slightly different note - what will happen now to Ozzie? Slow breakdown, sudden collapse, being killed off by TPTB?

TPTB don't care enough about it to either keep it going or to bother to kill it off. When the last of the Classic forums were closed, they eliminated my sponsored account. I wasn't going to keep a paid account just for the purpose of testing the email functions.

I did intend to make OzWin open source, in case anyone would ever want to do something with it. But when I started, I realized that too much of the functionality is based on third-party proprietary libraries that Steve Sneed had purchased licenses for to use in OzWin. I don't have the rights to open source them. Most of the third parties are not even in business any more to ask permission from if I were to try to work that out.

Finally, when I quit my job and became a full time student I ended up needing only Linux and Mac computers, and then my one remaining Windows laptop gave up the ghost. And now I am concentrating on completing my PhD over the next two to three years.

So it doesn't look like I'll be able to make any changes to OzWin if something happens that makes it stop working.

-- sidney

su/oubeck
August 2nd, 2006, 05:48 PM
I believe XP IS 5.1?

Dan,

XP is XP and NT5.1 is NT5.1, ok? Stop confusing me! Keep it simple! I can't do all this techie stuff. Give me a knitting pattern any day.

Su

su/oubeck
August 2nd, 2006, 06:24 PM
One consolation is that having grown up in New England I never think that it is cold here, even when everyone else is complaining.

Sidney,

During our first stint in Moscow, my husband had to go to some corner or other in Siberia for a meeting. It was 9C, all the windows were open, the staff were in t-shirts - they said it was summer and they were going to enjoy every minute of it, even if Norman stayed wrapped up in his coat shivering.

The views from your deck make me wonder where I went wrong in life. Sheesh, do you have to flaunt it? Do you need a gardener?

The Windows internal description for XP is "NT5.1".

Dan seems to agree with you there. Why not just call XP - XP? You know, like "keep it simple"? :rolleyes:

I will give all your options a go when I next have some free time, fingers crossed.

So... I just keep Ozzie and hope that it doesn't crash or frazzle too suddenly for me to switch to one of my other options. I can understand you don't have the time etc to keep up with it. How will I know though, that I am the last living user on earth of this nice SIMPLE programme? The way things change so quickly, it's become a bit of a classic icon in my book, like the red London buses or the VW Beetle.

Student, hm. I would imagine it's very different being a student later in life when you know what you're doing, compared to just going to uni because the option is there. I don't even begin to understand your subject, but wish you success in your researches.

Again, many thanks for all the work you've put into Ozzie over the years,

Su

heinz57g
August 5th, 2006, 06:51 AM
the no-more-scrolling-with-the-wheel issue is one of the newer firefox releases, check out their forum, this problem is
discussed over and over again.

greetings - heinz -