PDA

View Full Version : Firefox NOSCRIPT extension problem

davidh
July 27th, 2006, 09:46 PM
I'm not really expecting to get a fix or workaround for this problem anytime soon.

I started trying out the NOSCRIPT extension for Firfox after FF 1.5.0.4 came out, I think. It seemed that FF crashed often when running Yahoo webmail. When I updated to FF 1.5.0.5 yesterday, I seemed no better, and maybe worse.

So I uninstalled NOSCRIPT.

I'm not really actively trying to diagnose this problem now. Just thought I'd mention it in case anybody else experiences this, perhaps they can take comfort in the thought that they are not hallucinating.

Anyway computer programs are supposed to have bugs, by definition.

DH

Mike
July 27th, 2006, 11:46 PM
I started trying out the NOSCRIPT extension for Firfox after FF 1.5.0.4 came out, I think. It seemed that FF crashed often when running Yahoo webmail. When I updated to FF 1.5.0.5 yesterday, I seemed no better, and maybe worse.
No problems here, so I don't think the problem solely is Noscript. Perhaps there's something else in conjunction with the extension, but the extension by itself seems not to cause a problem.

My partner has an older Mac which cannot be upgraded to the most recent version of Flash, and Yahoo mail always crashes his machine, about the time the SWF starts playing on the login page. I taught him to hit escape as soon as the login box shows, and now he does that and the machine doesn't crash.

davidh
July 28th, 2006, 12:59 AM
No problems here, so I don't think the problem solely is Noscript. Perhaps there's something else in conjunction with the extension, but the extension by itself seems not to cause a problem.

My partner has an older Mac which cannot be upgraded to the most recent version of Flash, and Yahoo mail always crashes his machine, about the time the SWF starts playing on the login page. I taught him to hit escape as soon as the login box shows, and now he does that and the machine doesn't crash.

I think you're right that one can't blame the NOSCRIPT extension with any significant degree of probability.

FWIW, I had already disabled Flash by deleting the ...SWF... DLL. But just for the heck of it, I reinstalled NOSCRIPT and then told NOSCRIPT to disable Flash for good measure and the Yahoo web mail still seemed to crash reliably. So for now I'm running without NOSCRIPT again.

FWIW, I noticed on the ISC Internet Storm Center article about the recent Moz fixes that one was a fix for the XPCOM in Moz apps in FF 1.5.0.5 , et al. According to the ISC story, XPCOM has had that error since before versions 1.0 of FF and TBird, a long time. I also noticed XPCOM crashing both on Win 98 SE (and XP Home too, I think) for probably ever since I started using FF. So I would not be surprised if there could be a bug in Moz apps that lets NOSCRIPT crash FF with Yahoo mail. Of course it could be other things too, such as Win 98SE, etc.

So for now, I just try to be careful what I click and pay attention to McAfee Siteadvisor when doing searches on google, etc.

DH