PDA

View Full Version : ZIP drive in linux

Karl Semper
July 26th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Anybody know how to make a zip drive work under SUSE 10.0 Linux? It is listed in /etc/fstab, but it won't mount.

Gary Maltzen
August 11th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Anybody know how to make a zip drive work under SUSE 10.0 Linux? It is listed in /etc/fstab, but it won't mount.Most of my Zip drives have shown up as /dev/sdX (i.e., /dev/sdb) and typically partition /dev/sdX4 (i.e., /dev/sdb4) is a FAT-32 partition containing the data so /etc/fstab should have a line like /dev/sdb4 /mnt/zip vfat defaults,noautoThe "noauto" option means you have to issue (as root) a "mount /mnt/zip" command to mount the partition so you can access the data.

Karl Semper
August 12th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Most of my Zip drives have shown up as /dev/sdX (i.e., /dev/sdb) and typically partition /dev/sdX4 (i.e., /dev/sdb4) is a FAT-32 partition containing the data so /etc/fstab should have a line like /dev/sdb4 /mnt/zip vfat defaults,noautoThe "noauto" option means you have to issue (as root) a "mount /mnt/zip" command to mount the partition so you can access the data.

Gary,

I do have a line like that in my etc/fstab. The problem now is that the users only have read access and only root can write to the zip drive. I tried a "umask=0,0,0" but that didn't help. I would like to get user rw access to the zip drive, but haven't been successful yet. I think I have to use guid or uid in etc/fstab, but I don't know how to set those up and the man on ftab and umount wasn't very helpful. I would also like to be able to mount the drive without having to be root.

Gary Maltzen
August 13th, 2006, 08:08 AM
I would also like to be able to mount the drive without having to be root.To allow non-root users to mount (and unmount) the partition, you need to specify the "user" option.
To allow anyone to read and write files and directories on the device you need to specify a "umask" of "000".
So your /etc/fstab line would be something like/dev/sda4 /mnt/zip vfat rw,user,umask=000

Karl Semper
August 13th, 2006, 08:38 PM
To allow non-root users to mount (and unmount) the partition, you need to specify the "user" option.
To allow anyone to read and write files and directories on the device you need to specify a "umask" of "000".
So your /etc/fstab line would be something like/dev/sda4 /mnt/zip vfat rw,user,umask=000

Gary,

Tried that and it didn't work. Only root is allowed to mount the zip drive and user had only read access to the files on the zip drive.

I tried the /etc/fstab file with both "noauto" and without "noauto" it didn't make a difference. I also found that I need "su -" to get the "modprobe ppa" to load the "ppa" properly. When I try to load it from "/etc/modprobe.conf.local" it give me an error that it is ignoring the command in line 4.

Gary Maltzen
August 14th, 2006, 12:46 PM
I tried the /etc/fstab file with both "noauto" and without "noauto" it didn't make a difference.Use of the "noauto" option prevents automatic mounting at system start (or with "mount -a"). The two explicit options are "noauto" and "auto".I also found that I need "su -" to get the "modprobe ppa" to load the "ppa" properly. When I try to load it from "/etc/modprobe.conf.local" it give me an error that it is ignoring the command in line 4.Can I presume the line you added to /etc/modprobe.conf.local is install ppaI have located my parallel ZIP drive, power supply and a suitable cable and will try installing it on my system.

Karl Semper
August 14th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Gary,

Yes, that is the line I added to "etc/modprobe.conf.local", the message that I get in /var/log/boot.msg is

WARNING: ppa line 4: ignoring bad line starting with 'install'

It also tells me that:

mount: special device /dev/sda4 does not exist

when I do not have the "noauto" in /etc/fstab, this is the line as I currently have it in that file:

/dev/sda4 /usr/zip100 vfat rw,user,umask=000 0 0

If I include the noauto option then only root can mount the file and with the failure of "install ppa" I have to use "su -" to successfully load ppa from the command line and then only root can mount the device. The attributes are set for root "rwx" and everybody else "r".

Thanks for your help.

Karl

Gary Maltzen
August 15th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Hmm - as long as you have the ZIP drive connected you should be able to load the ppa module.

Since it is removable media the 'noauto' option should be present to avoid delays attempting to mount missing media.

After re-reading `man 8 mount`: Try adding 'users' (plural) instead of 'user'.

Karl Semper
August 15th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Gary,

I don't know if this relevant or not, but when I boot the system, when it tries to load ppa from "/etc/modprobe.conf" I see the following errors:

<4>ppa: Unknown symbol parport_register_device
<4>ppa: Unknown symbol parport_register_driver
<4>ppa: Unknown symbol parport_release
<4>ppa: Unknown symbol parport_claim
<4>ppa: Unknown symbol parport_unregister_device
<4>ppa: Unknown symbol parport_unregister_driver

If I try to load ppa from "su" it won't load, the only way that I can get ppa to load from the command line is from "su -".

I added "noauto" and changed "user" to "users", I then rebooted the system, it made no difference. After I loaded ppa from the command line, when I tried to mount the zip drive I got the following:

karl@linux:~> mount -t vfat /dev/sda4 /usr/zip100
mount: only root can do that

After I load ppa from "su -", I can then drop back to "su" and load the zipdrive. However only root has rwx, users and group only have r access to the files on the zipdrive.

Gary Maltzen
August 15th, 2006, 03:19 PM
>> mount: only root can do that
Do you perchance have SELinux enabled?

Karl Semper
August 15th, 2006, 06:22 PM
>> mount: only root can do that
Do you perchance have SELinux enabled?

Gary,

I don't know what SELinux is? How do I find out if it is enabled. I am running SUSE 10.0 with the KDE Desktop.

Gary Maltzen
August 15th, 2006, 10:58 PM
>> running SUSE 10.0 with the KDE Desktop.

As am I.
In /etc/sysconfig/security what is the PERMISSION_SECURITY value

Karl Semper
August 16th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Gary,

In "etc/sysconfig/security" it says

PERMISSION_SECURITY="easy local"

Karl

Gary Maltzen
August 17th, 2006, 11:17 AM
I don't know if this relevant or not, but when I boot the system, when it tries to load ppa from "/etc/modprobe.conf" I see the following errors:

<4>ppa: Unknown symbol parport_register_device
<4>ppa: Unknown symbol parport_register_driver
<4>ppa: Unknown symbol parport_release
<4>ppa: Unknown symbol parport_claim
<4>ppa: Unknown symbol parport_unregister_device
<4>ppa: Unknown symbol parport_unregister_driverRereading this it sounds to me like the dependencies aren't complete; try running `depmod -a` then rebooting (with ppa in the modprobe.conf)

Karl Semper
August 17th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Gary,

Rereading this it sounds to me like the dependencies aren't complete; try running `depmod -a` then rebooting (with ppa in the modprobe.conf)

I followed your suggestion, but I still got the same error message when I rebooted. This is from "dmesg"

ide1: BM-DMA at 0x9008-0x900f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
Probing IDE interface ide0...
hda: Maxtor 7Y250P0, ATA DISK drive
hdb: Conner Peripherals 1080MB - CFS1081A, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
hda: max request size: 1024KiB
hda: 490234752 sectors (251000 MB) w/7936KiB Cache, CHS=30515/255/63, UDMA(100)
hda: cache flushes supported
hda: hda1 hda2
hdb: max request size: 128KiB
hdb: 2114180 sectors (1082 MB), CHS=2097/16/63, DMA
hdb: cache flushes not supported
hdb: hdb1
Probing IDE interface ide1...
hdc: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-740A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: CD-W512EB, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
ppa: Unknown symbol parport_register_device
ppa: Unknown symbol parport_register_driver
ppa: Unknown symbol parport_release
ppa: Unknown symbol parport_claim
ppa: Unknown symbol parport_unregister_device
ppa: Unknown symbol parport_unregister_driver
hdc: ATAPI 126X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
hdd: ATAPI 32X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2976kB Cache, UDMA(33)
ACPI: CPU0 (power states: C1[C1] C2[C2])
ACPI: Processor [CPU0] (supports 2 throttling states)
Attempting manual resume

Looking at "modprobe.conf" I do not see where it tells it to load "ppa", is this part of something else?

Gary Maltzen
August 18th, 2006, 01:39 AM
Try including an 'install parport' before the 'install ppa'.

There used to be a modules configuration line that would let you declare a load dependency order; I'm not as familiar with the current implementation of modules.

What is the output of
`modinfo ppa`
`modinfo parport`

More specifically do they have the same 'vermagic' setting
(presumably '2.6.13.-15.11-default gcc-4.0')