PDA

View Full Version : K-Meleon 1.0 released (the Fast Gecko Browser)

ndebord
July 23rd, 2006, 07:44 PM
Finally, after a long period of development, K-Meleon, the macro-language, non-XUL Gecko browser has been released. Based on Mozilla 1.8.0.5, it is fast and efficient. Ad Block and No Script are addons that have not yet been released for 1.0, but worked fine on the earlier 0.9.1.7.13 version and I expect them to work just fine in this version "any day now." Aggreg8 (RSS plugin) works better than it ever did with Mozilla Suite and with hotkeys, you can load up just about anything. I have icons on a toolbar to toggle Java, JavaScript, Color, Images, Popups, Cache, History, URL-Bar history, Flash along with icons for a News Reader, an external email program and one for the built-in RSS (Aggreg8). I also have hotkeys configured for an email header program, AIM, NUV, and more.

https://sourceforge.net/project/sho...?group_id=14285

Since nobody noticed, I decided to spiff up the description a tad.

<g>

Judy G. Russell
July 24th, 2006, 09:55 AM
We noticed; it's just that you're the only person I know who's using K-Meleon!

ndebord
July 25th, 2006, 12:09 PM
We noticed; it's just that you're the only person I know who's using K-Meleon!

Judy,

And a sorry state of affairs that is!

<g,d&r>

Judy G. Russell
July 25th, 2006, 02:59 PM
And a sorry state of affairs that is! <g,d&r>Pffffft... I prefer not to be a beta tester...

ndebord
July 25th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Pffffft... I prefer not to be a beta tester...

Judy,

Ouch! What sharp teeth you have, said Little Red Riding Hood!

Actually, the testing period was quite long for KM 1.0. Based on Gecko 1.8.0.5, it is very stable. There will probably be a few glitches, but I would venture nothing as extreme as what FireFox foisted upon its user base. FF 1.5.0....ooooops. Make that 1.5.0.1,2,3,4 and very soon now, 1.5.0.5. ALL in relatively short order I might add.

;-)

Judy G. Russell
July 25th, 2006, 06:38 PM
I wouldn't know... I'm still using Firefox 1.0.7...

ndebord
July 25th, 2006, 11:02 PM
I wouldn't know... I'm still using Firefox 1.0.7...

Judy,

Well, I was running FF 1.0.8, which I highly recommend.

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/

I'm now running instead Mozilla Suite 1.7.13 as my backup Gecko browser to K-Meleon 1.0.

Judy G. Russell
July 25th, 2006, 11:29 PM
I should update, but I always have this "if it ain't broke..." attitude...

davidh
July 26th, 2006, 09:34 AM

I think every one or almost every one of the Firefox updates, including 1.08, ever since 1.0 and 1.5 have included security fixes. So if you run with "shields down" it might be a good idea to install the siteadvisor.com extension from McAfee to reduce the chance that you'd click on a nasty site.

Zero-day exploits are becoming more common so the chances that your virus checker would stop an exploit are decreasing as time goes by, it seems.

DH

Judy G. Russell
July 26th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I know, I know... I'm just lazy. And I don't usually go poking around on sites I don't trust.

Karl Semper
July 26th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Unfortunately I have found that one of our company sites that uses JAVA and JAVA Script won't work for me under Firefox 1.5, so I ended up having to revert to Firefox 1.07.

The site was designed to use Internet Explorer, which I really hate to use.

Karl

Judy G. Russell
July 26th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Unfortunately I have found that one of our company sites that uses JAVA and JAVA Script won't work for me under Firefox 1.5, so I ended up having to revert to Firefox 1.07. Try the most advanced of the 1.0x series...

The site was designed to use Internet Explorer, which I really hate to use.That just infuriates me when a web designer is so damned lazy that he makes a site for IE only. The Princess cruises website is like that and it makes me want to spit nails.

Karl Semper
July 26th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Try the most advanced of the 1.0x series...

I probably will one of these days.

That just infuriates me when a web designer is so damned lazy that he makes a site for IE only. The Princess cruises website is like that and it makes me want to spit nails.

It infuriates me also, unfortunately the person in charge of that operation is good friends with the designer and we couldn't get it set up to be more universal. The designer simply told the boss that Internet Explorer was a defacto standard and I couldn't convince him otherwise. The people here in McAlester almost all use Firefox, but the rest of our company I would guess uses Internet Exporer almost exclusively.

Oh well, like you I watch were go and try to be careful.

Judy G. Russell
July 26th, 2006, 05:23 PM
The designer simply told the boss that Internet Explorer was a defacto standard and I couldn't convince him otherwise.Oh that is just so annoying. Both that the designer is such a jerk and that the boss is so ignorant.

ndebord
July 28th, 2006, 12:10 AM

Judy,

There are some bug fixes in 1.0.8. I'm looking at Seamonkey now, but the 3 C's* have kept me with Mozilla Suite 1.7.13 so far in petulant rebellion I suppose.

(* Chatzilla, Composer, Calendar)

Judy G. Russell
July 29th, 2006, 02:01 PM
I'll get around to updating RSN...