PDA

View Full Version : Mailing List with Blind Copies

Guerri Stevens
June 7th, 2005, 07:45 AM
I have to send out notices to a number of people telling them about my new Email address. I suspect the easiest way to do this is to set up a mailing list for TAPCIS, since I already have the names and IDs in my USERID.CIS file.

I know how to set up and use a mailing list.

What I don't know is how to set it up so that no one sees any of the names other than his or her own. I vaguely recall that one item on the list has to NOT have the /bcc designation. Is that correct? If so, I can send a copy of the message to myself.

Where does the /bcc go - after the recipient's Email address? Should there be a space ahead of it?

Dan in Saint Louis
June 7th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Where does the /bcc go - after the recipient's Email address? Should there be a space ahead of it?Aren't you using Thunderbird now? [EDIT: Maybe not, I finally saw the title of this section<G>] Right-click on the address of interest in the address book, choose BCC from the resulting menu.

OR -- put the address in the Address: field of TBird and click the drop-down arrow left of the "To:", choose BCC.

Judy G. Russell
June 7th, 2005, 10:24 AM
I vaguely recall that one item on the list has to NOT have the /bcc designation. Is that correct? If so, I can send a copy of the message to myself. Where does the /bcc go - after the recipient's Email address? Should there be a space ahead of it?
Yes, just address one copy to yourself and put a space then /bcc after the email address.

davidh
June 7th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Guerri,

In a way, I am jealous of you still using TAPCIS.

However, I did NOT given my new email address as being on earthlink, to my correspondents.

Instead, I gave google gmail as my address and also set up gmail to forward my mail to my ISP (Earthlink $9.95/mo.)

FWIW,

David H.

Guerri Stevens
June 7th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Aren't you using Thunderbird now? [EDIT: Maybe not, I finally saw the title of this section<G>] Right-click on the address of interest in the address book, choose BCC from the resulting menu.

OR -- put the address in the Address: field of TBird and click the drop-down arrow left of the "To:", choose BCC.

Yes, I'm using Thunderbird now. But the address list with the names I have to notify is the TAPCIS address list. And I think it would be easier to create a few mailing lists from it and use them than to try to get everything into Thunderbird's book first. Especially since it may not be easy to import the list and some of the addresses are undoubtedly no good any more.

Guerri Stevens
June 7th, 2005, 07:18 PM
David, I go an Earthlink Email address, but I'm not giving it out. I got one of the tapcis.com Email addresses and will use that.

I set up Thunderbird to read messages from CompuServe, tapcis.com, and Earthlink. Eventually I will cancel CompuServe.

Guerri

Guerri Stevens
June 8th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Thanks, Judy. That worked very well. I made up a bunch of mailing lists divided up by family, business contacts, old friends from CompuServe, etc. and sent out change of address notices. The only real problem is with obsolete addresses, which didn't work. Some failed immediately, others a bit later with messages from the servers (?). Some of those people I don't care enough about to try to track down. Others I would like to find, even though we haven't exchanged messages in a long time.

Judy G. Russell
June 8th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Glad we could help.