PDA

View Full Version : Such a good idea, so why not?

Jeff
July 21st, 2006, 01:08 PM
"Nevada is the only state to offer a choice of “None of the Above,” and it first appeared in 1976. The option is nonbinding — it’s only to serve as a gauge of public opinion and could never win an election."

© 2006 The Associated Press

Judy G. Russell
July 21st, 2006, 03:56 PM
From AP: "Nevada is the only state to offer a choice of “None of the Above,” and it first appeared in 1976. The option is nonbinding — it’s only to serve as a gauge of public opinion and could never win an election."
Oooooh... wouldn't it be nice to make both political parties go back and start over if they both nominated idiots???

Lindsey
July 21st, 2006, 11:25 PM
Oooooh... wouldn't it be nice to make both political parties go back and start over if they both nominated idiots???
Yeah, I would love to be able to choose "None of the above" when some dipwad of a candidate ran unopposed.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
July 22nd, 2006, 08:25 AM
Yeah, I would love to be able to choose "None of the above" when some dipwad of a candidate ran unopposed.I'd like to be able to choose "None of the above" when two dipwad candidates ran against each other. (We don't get too many unopposed candidates here.)

Lindsey
July 22nd, 2006, 11:57 PM
I'd like to be able to choose "None of the above" when two dipwad candidates ran against each other. (We don't get too many unopposed candidates here.)
That, too!

It's not too often there is any competition for a congressional seat in Virginia unless there is no incumbent. Senate seats are different; those can't be gerrymandered into safe districts. The state legislature isn't quite so moribund, I guess because campaigns for a seat in the General Assembly are less expensive to conduct.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
July 23rd, 2006, 11:41 AM
It's not too often there is any competition for a congressional seat in Virginia unless there is no incumbent.Wow. I can't remember the last time a Congressional seat here went without a serious contest.

Lindsey
July 23rd, 2006, 10:34 PM
Wow. I can't remember the last time a Congressional seat here went without a serious contest.
It's a very sad situation:

Election 2006 Projections

Virginia

Competitive House Races
------------------------------
No competitive races in 2006

http://www.electionprojection.com/states06/virginia06.html

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
July 24th, 2006, 09:50 AM
I take it back. According to that website, there are in fact two NJ districts where the incumbent (a Democrat) is unopposed. I find that truly astonishing -- I mean, yes, those are heavily Democratic districts, but having nobody willing to run against these guys? That's astounding.

Lindsey
July 24th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I take it back. According to that website, there are in fact two NJ districts where the incumbent (a Democrat) is unopposed. I find that truly astonishing -- I mean, yes, those are heavily Democratic districts, but having nobody willing to run against these guys? That's astounding.
And not all of those seats in Virginia are entirely unopposed, but the competition is not considered to be serious.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
July 24th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Not serious, I understand. Some districts are so gerrymandered, nobody from the other party really has much of a chance. But NO chance? Not even to RUN? Geez...

Lindsey
July 24th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Not serious, I understand. Some districts are so gerrymandered, nobody from the other party really has much of a chance. But NO chance? Not even to RUN? Geez...
I agree, it's a pretty sad state of affairs. And not uncommon here at all, unfortunately. You run the risk of being considered crass if you challenge the powers that be...

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
July 24th, 2006, 11:15 PM
You run the risk of being considered crass if you challenge the powers that be...What a sorry state of affairs...