PDA

View Full Version : flash player & active-X

davidh
July 15th, 2006, 10:26 AM
I got the flash uninstaller from Adobe and ran it. It only uninstalled the flash player (8) from MS IE , didn't uninstall from FF, NS, Moz, TB.

Because I had installed flash 9 in FF, etc. and was having problems, therefore,
I DL'd the old flash 8 in a zip from adobe. I ran both install programs, one for IE, the other for NS, FF, TB, Moz.

The installer for NS, etc. did not put back the old NPPGWrap.dll, it left the new one. "Microsoft ActiveX Portability Container (NPPGWrap)" is what this DLL is.

Since I still seemed to have a problem, i.e. FF crashed, and I did not want to try to find the old version of Microsoft ActiveX Portability Container (NPPGWrap), I just deleted it to see what would happen. Then the npswf32.dll still remained in the plugin folders from the re-install of flash 8.

Result was that so far FF seems to run ok and flash seems to play ok too.

So maybe the new flash 9 player for FF was OK but just as long as you don't try to play flash with active X in it ?

I don't really understand how active-X works inside FF but apparently the "Microsoft ActiveX Portability Container (NPPGWrap)" allows the player to run active-X code "inside" a media show for extra razzle dazzle.

If that's the case then not only flash 9 but also flash 8 and maybe even earlier ones could run active-X under NS, FF, TB, Moz ? Anyway flash 8 had "Microsoft ActiveX Portability Container (NPPGWrap)" too.

So I guess one just hopes that the virus checker would catch infected active-X files when they are written to the disk during DL or one hopes that one's MS IE settings on active-X, etc. are conservative enough.

Since I'm never sure what my MS IE config settings are, I figure it's easier and safer just to delete "Microsoft ActiveX Portability Container (NPPGWrap)" out of my plugin folders.

All in all, I think it's pretty disgusting. Besides the fact that the player itself could have security vulnerabilities in it that could be exploited by intentionally crafted media, they also want you to download and run arbitrary active-X machine code with all the privileges of the user (me) who could be an admin even (hopefully not).

Sort of like, not only do you give a stranger off the street the key to your front door, but you also give him the combination to your safe too. As long as his clothes are cleaned and pressed. And then give him a key grinding machine so he can make duplicates to give to anybody in his address book.

DH

Judy G. Russell
July 15th, 2006, 06:02 PM
All in all, I think it's pretty disgusting. Besides the fact that the player itself could have security vulnerabilities in it that could be exploited by intentionally crafted media, they also want you to download and run arbitrary active-X machine code with all the privileges of the user (me) who could be an admin even (hopefully not).Yeah that is definitely a thanks but no thanks situation.

davidh
August 13th, 2006, 03:03 PM
I just noticed that an old version of flash player 7 had been installed on my MS IE. Since I had updated to flash 8.0.24 security update in MS IE , I don't know how this happened. Maybe I clicked on an install button by accident or maybe some site installed the old version automatically. It wasn't even close to being the last version of flash 7, yuk.

I keep the zip file with all the installers for flash 8.0.24 on my HD, just so that I can "recover" from such nuisances.

Ticked off in Timbuktu,

DH

Judy G. Russell
August 13th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Oh great... an old version installing over a new version without warning you... just great.

Lindsey
August 20th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Yeah that is definitely a thanks but no thanks situation.
Unfortunately, the WebEx technology that runs the "webinars" that have become so popular lately not just because of 9/11, but also because of the escalating cost of long-distance travel, require the use of IE and Flash Player. I hate it, but when there are webinars I am required to participate in because of my job, I have no choice. My only comfort is that I'm not responsible for network security, so if there's a breach as a result, it's not my problem. Not directly, anyway.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
August 20th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Unfortunately, the WebEx technology that runs the "webinars" that have become so popular lately ... require the use of IE and Flash Player.Sigh... that's just so $%^#$ dumb.

Lindsey
August 20th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Sigh... that's just so $%^#$ dumb.
Agreed; but that's the sort of thing that keeps Microsoft the 500-lb gorilla. :mad:

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
August 20th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Agreed; but that's the sort of thing that keeps Microsoft the 500-lb gorilla. :mad: :mad: is right...