PDA

View Full Version : Feature Requests - Email mirror

Daniel Widdis
June 6th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Judy,

Could you look into tweaking the settings for The Parlor's mailing list "mirror"? There are two features I'd like adjusted:

1. There are several broken threads for users of TAPCIS, which does not track the Message-ID and References headers which are used to properly thread messages posted using more modern clients. The documentation page suggests that there is an "Optional setting to thread by subject for mailing lists that strip references header."

Could you try to turn on "thread by subject"?

2. Messages posted via email contain a Yahoo Groups footer:Yahoo! Groups Links

* To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/coryphaeus/

* To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
coryphaeus-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

* Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.The documentation suggests that you can "Strip footer by setting for incoming messages. Strips out repeated message footers." Could you try to strip those footers, please?

Daniel Widdis
June 7th, 2005, 01:41 AM
Could you try to turn on "thread by subject"?
Upon further investigation, it appears possible that this might already be on; but what happens is when a TAPCIS user replies to an email, the Subject line does not include the "Re:" which is standard on most other email programs.

There's a way to "hack the hack" to replace the check for "RE:" with an empty "" that might work... or, we can get TAPCIS users to try to automate the insertion of a "Re:" in their subject lines...

Dan

Mike
June 7th, 2005, 02:07 AM
TAPCIS users can easily create a macro that would invoke the reply function, then tab to the subject field and insert "Re:". However, if the subject text already filled the subject line, the macro would fail, and there's no way to have the macro check.

Daniel Widdis
June 7th, 2005, 02:17 AM
the macro would fail
Exactly how would it fail?

Assuming a macro is just a record of keypresses and the failure is only in individual keypresses, and recognizing I haven't used TAPCIS in 5 years so I'm guessing about keystrokes, how about this sequence:

Tab to subject line
End (or whatever key works) to jump to end of subject line
Space (three times.) If subject line is too long, these will fail/be ignored
Backspace (three times) If subject line was not too long, this just removes the three spaces. Otherwise, it shortens the subject line by three spaces.
Home (or whatever key works) to jump to beginning of subject line
Re:
Tab to message body

Judy G. Russell
June 7th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Thread by subject is on; I will work on stripping the footer.

Mike
June 7th, 2005, 02:33 PM
End (or whatever key works) to jump to end of subject line
Space (three times.) If subject line is too long, these will fail/be ignored
Backspace (three times) If subject line was not too long, this just removes the three spaces. Otherwise, it shortens the subject line by three spaces.

Yeah, that should work. I wasn't sitting at my computer with TAPCIS to try it.

Daniel Widdis
June 7th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Yeah, that should work. I wasn't sitting at my computer with TAPCIS to try it.
But I just realized if the subject line ends up being too long and it has to be truncated, it wouldn't match anyway. So just a simple failure to type the Re: should probably work.

Or Judy can edit the gateway.php file to remove the check for "Re:" and "Fw:" and make this whole macro discussion a moot point.

Dan

Judy G. Russell
June 7th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Or Judy can edit the gateway.php file to remove the check for "Re:" and "Fw:" and make this whole macro discussion a moot point.
Before I go off editing anything, I want to be sure we're not breaking something else.

Daniel Widdis
June 7th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Before I go off editing anything, I want to be sure we're not breaking something else.I've never seen the script, but that's what the author said to do on the thread supporting this hack. :)

Judy G. Russell
June 7th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Pop me the URL of that message by email, please, so I can read through what exactly I'm doing and why.

Daniel Widdis
June 23rd, 2005, 05:33 PM
Thread by subject is on; I will work on stripping the footer.
Footer stripping seems to be working great. :)

But after watching for a few weeks to see how it worked, it seems the thread-by-subject isn't quite working. I think the reason it's breaking is becuase it relies on a "Re:" or "Fw:" being the first entry on a line, and the "[Dixonary]" mailing list header is breaking it.

I'm wondering if there's a possibility of including that mailing list entry as part of the subject threading options. We're still ending up with lots of broken threads with the email mirror system.

Judy G. Russell
June 23rd, 2005, 09:10 PM
I looked at the hack for this and it isn't applicable to the current version of the original hack, Dan. I'll see if there's another solution that will work at least to some degree.