PDA

View Full Version : Yet another terrorist attack...

Judy G. Russell
July 11th, 2006, 02:10 PM
India this time. From CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/07/11/mumbai.blasts/index.html): "A series of seven explosions killed at least 145 people on crowded commuter trains and stations Tuesday evening in the Indian financial capital of Mumbai, police said."

Last I heard, nobody had come forward to claim responsibility. Sigh...

This stuff has got to stop...

davidh
July 11th, 2006, 02:57 PM
India this time. From CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/07/11/mumbai.blasts/index.html): "A series of seven explosions killed at least 145 people on crowded commuter trains and stations Tuesday evening in the Indian financial capital of Mumbai, police said."

Last I heard, nobody had come forward to claim responsibility. Sigh...

This stuff has got to stop... I recently read an Indian journalist commenting that the idea of stopping terrorism is rather naive. It gives the terrorists a psychological advantage. He claimed that the attittude of the Indian government was to consider resisting terrorism as just another cost of doing business more or less (I don't remember his exact words). They do have a little bit more experience than we do having had to deal with the Sikh's, Kashmir militants, Tamil Tigers, communists, etc. not to mention the partition of the whole country after independence.

Seems to me that terrorism has been flourishing and well established for thousands of years. Maybe we just need a triage system to properly prioritize the anti-terrorism effort relative to other natural disasters such as hurricanes, tsunamis, bird flu, HIV-AIDS, tobacco, alcohol, narcotics, domestic abuse, earthquakes, global warming, teen-age driving, etc. The Iroquois apparently had a system where women had control of the land and the menfolk had control of war making. So if the menfolk got too carried away on a testosterone binge, the ladies could put a veto on it.

DH

Judy G. Russell
July 11th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I recently read an Indian journalist commenting that the idea of stopping terrorism is rather naive. It gives the terrorists a psychological advantage.Unfortunately, I think he's right.

The Iroquois apparently had a system where women had control of the land and the menfolk had control of war making. So if the menfolk got too carried away on a testosterone binge, the ladies could put a veto on it.Separation of powers is such a good idea... Now if we could just get some folks in DC to agree!

ndebord
July 11th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Unfortunately, I think he's right.

Separation of powers is such a good idea... Now if we could just get some folks in DC to agree!

Judy,

Good idea! Is there a decent Bush girl in the next generation? How about putting Cheney's daughter in charge?

Judy G. Russell
July 11th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Cheney's daughter ... now there's an interesting woman, for certain.

ndebord
July 12th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Cheney's daughter ... now there's an interesting woman, for certain.

I know. I KNOW!

Elect Mary Cheney and Ron Reagan for President and Vice President. Get the best of both administrations. The daughter of our fearless Vice President Dick Cheney and the son of the Great Communicator, Ronald Reagan!

Judy G. Russell
July 12th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Elect Mary Cheney and Ron Reagan for President and Vice President. Get the best of both administrations. The daughter of our fearless Vice President Dick Cheney and the son of the Great Communicator, Ronald Reagan!Now wouldn't that put the fox in the henhouse...

ndebord
July 12th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Now wouldn't that put the fox in the henhouse...

Judy,

Or replace the cock with the hen (in both cases).

;-)

Judy G. Russell
July 13th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Or replace the cock with the hen (in both cases).I think that might be politically incorrect.

ndebord
July 13th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I think that might be politically incorrect.

Judy,

Never been one to be politically correct, on any side of an issue.

<wry grin>