PDA

View Full Version : 101st Airborne, welcome home

davidh
July 9th, 2006, 04:43 PM
101st Airborne 'Torch Party' Returns Home

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. (AP) - A ``torch party'' from the 101st Airborne Division has arrived to prepare Fort Campbell for the mass return of the rest of the division following a yearlong tour in Iraq.

http://webcenters.netscape.compuserve.com/news/story.jsp?floc=DC-headline&sc=1110&idq=/ff/story/0001/20060709/1635335960.htm

I shipped out (on board C-130) from Ft. Campbell in 1965 to Bien Hoa Vietnam, where the 173rd Airborne Brigade had transferrred from Okinawa, Japan. 173rd orginally came from 101st Airborne Division.

One thing that sticks in my mind was that a bottle of Coca Cola cost 5 cents in the vending machine installed at the barracks where I stayed before shipping out on a C-130 to Travis, Guam, and Bien Hoa, Vietnam.

DH

davidh
July 9th, 2006, 04:49 PM
P.S. I never jumped out of a plane or chopper.

I was a geek (I mean spook).

DH

Judy G. Russell
July 9th, 2006, 05:26 PM
One thing that sticks in my mind was that a bottle of Coca Cola cost 5 cents in the vending machine installed at the barracks where I stayed before shipping out on a C-130 to Travis, Guam, and Bien Hoa, Vietnam.It's that last destination that gives me the heebie-jeebies...

a spookDo we have to shoot you now that you've said that? (My ex was a 97C...)

ndebord
July 9th, 2006, 08:19 PM
101st Airborne 'Torch Party' Returns Home

I shipped out (on board C-130) from Ft. Campbell in 1965 to Bien Hoa Vietnam, where the 173rd Airborne Brigade had transferrred from Okinawa, Japan. 173rd orginally came from 101st Airborne Division.

DH

David,

Oh goody, my friends in 97b got to send their stuff to you for analysis!

Bien Hoa, eh? That means you got to go to the mystical Vung Tau. Heard wonderous things about that place, but never managed to get that far south.

<g>

Nick

davidh
July 10th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Actually, I never made it to Vung Tau until 1996, and then just for one day. The rest of my 1996 visit I spent in Thong Nhat hospital in Saigon visiting my mother in law who had a very painful case of shingles. But I did get a chance in 1965 to go camping in War Zone D and in the hills around Pleiku.

DH

ndebord
July 10th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Actually, I never made it to Vung Tau until 1996, and then just for one day. The rest of my 1996 visit I spent in Thong Nhat hospital in Saigon visiting my mother in law who had a very painful case of shingles. But I did get a chance in 1965 to go camping in War Zone D and in the hills around Pleiku.

DH

David,

Never made it down to Pleiku, spent 10 months up country in Dong Ha and later outside Da Nang. Last two in heaven: Cholon.

ndebord
July 10th, 2006, 05:13 PM

DH

David,

So you actually had to stick with the 173rd? A star struck outfit if every there was one. I ended up spending a year in Ft. Campbell, but that was in late 68-69.

davidh
July 10th, 2006, 05:46 PM
David,

So you actually had to stick with the 173rd? A star struck outfit if every there was one. I ended up spending a year in Ft. Campbell, but that was in late 68-69.
I was just with the 173rd Airborne brigade, however there was also an Aussie unit stationed with the 173rd at Bien Hoa, so I went with the Aussie's once or twice in the woods, apparently they were short on spooks who spoke the lingo (Vietnamese).

DH

ndebord
July 10th, 2006, 07:45 PM
I was just with the 173rd Airborne brigade, however there was also an Aussie unit stationed with the 173rd at Bien Hoa, so I went with the Aussie's once or twice in the woods, apparently they were short on spooks who spoke the lingo (Vietnamese).

DH

David,

So you were there a couple of years earlier than I. (I was there from july 67 to july 68.)