PDA

View Full Version : Thread Processing

Guerri Stevens
June 5th, 2005, 07:34 PM
I just don't understand how this all works. I open a forum such as this one (which would have been a "section" in the good old days). There is a list of topics (threads in the good old days). I open one of the topics and I get the little diagram and the messages follow. I read all the messages and at the bottom I have "next thread" "previous thread" or something like that.

My assumption was that if I clicked "next thread" I would go to the very next topic in the list. But I did that after reading a thread that was near the top of the list and it said "no more threads"!

Guerri

Judy G. Russell
June 5th, 2005, 08:52 PM
I think that applies only if there are new messages in another thread in that section, Guerri. But you might try using the New Posts drop down list at the top during each session. That at least will identify each and every thread with messages posted since the last time you were online.

woodswell
June 6th, 2005, 08:35 PM
My assumption was that if I clicked "next thread" I would go to the very next topic in the list. But I did that after reading a thread that was near the top of the list and it said "no more threads"!
Guerri, I keep getting caught by that too. The confusing part is that the default is for the newest threads to be shown at the top of the list. So if you want to see the next message down the list, it is the previous message in the timeline.
It would be nice to have that setting be user selectable so we could pick to have the oldest messages first, then proceed down the list in a more logical way.
Anne

Judy G. Russell
June 6th, 2005, 09:01 PM
I'm hoping some of these things are addressed in the next version of the software, which is in beta now.

woodswell
June 6th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Judy, That's be great - but vBulletin is already so nice, I don't mind the few slightly confusing things. It is just a matter of getting used to it.

I am NOT complaining about anything here - you all are doing a great job.
Anne

Judy G. Russell
June 6th, 2005, 11:23 PM
It is nice, but it ain't perfect, so we can always hope for better. One thing that apparently is being tested is a "new to me/unread by me" flag so you don't lose track of new messages just by having to leave the site and then come back later.