PDA

View Full Version : What to plant????

Judy G. Russell
June 15th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Okay... take a look please at the image below showing one side of the front of my house. An azalea that had been in the middle between the two arbovitae didn't make it. So... what do I plant there? Do I try another azalea (or two)? Ideas?

davidh
June 15th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Okay... take a look please at the image below showing one side of the front of my house. An azalea that had been in the middle between the two arbovitae didn't make it. So... what do I plant there? Do I try another azalea (or two)? Ideas?

1. If you have deer and gophers, plant what they won't eat.

2. Plant something that requires the same pH level as arborvitae.

3. Or plant something pretty that you can eat too, nasturtiums, pansies, purple kale, currants, gooseberries, etc.

4. Or if you like birds and don't mind the mess plant something they like to eat or a bird bath

5. Plant something in the mint family (e.g. catnip for cats and lavender for people) or other culinary herbs and spices or aromatic plants and bushes for potpourri, etc. or fleabane to harvest, etc.

DH

ktinkel
June 15th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Okay... take a look please at the image below showing one side of the front of my house. An azalea that had been in the middle between the two arbovitae didn't make it. So... what do I plant there? Do I try another azalea (or two)? Ideas?I would be tempted to plant one of the showier hydrangeas (http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/paniculata.html). Once established, the foliage will fill in nicely, but the shape is roundish, in contrast to the more angular shapes of the other plants.

The color of the wonderful blowsy blooms will depend on the pH of your soil — the common ones in the U.S. will be blue or pink — but there are subtle varieties from France and elsewhere, if you care to seek them out (and pay for them).

You will get some privacy, nice flowers, and low maintenance.

Judy G. Russell
June 15th, 2006, 10:19 PM
I think I'm going to put a bird bath out in the side yard. Here, this is mostly for looks (and deer are not something I have to worry about here in the inner suburbs!).

Judy G. Russell
June 15th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Interesting that you came up with that... I was driving down to a meeting tonight and saw a bush with gorgeous HUGE white flowers, didn't know what it was and wondered... and, of course, it was a mop head hydrangea (now that I've seen the pictures). A blue one or a pink one would be really nice...

Hmmm...

I wonder how big of a one I can get and still hope it will do well once planted...

Lindsey
June 15th, 2006, 10:28 PM
So... what do I plant there? Do I try another azalea (or two)? Ideas?
If you aren't adamant that it must be some kind of shrub, you might want to consider daylilies (http://www.daylily-garden-perennials.com/). They come in a wide variety of colors and sizes, and they're pretty easy to grow. They bloom in late spring/early summer. There's a page with a huge number of links to suppliers here (http://daylily.net/index.asp) if you're interested in looking around. Some tips about using daylilies for landscaping here (http://www.designerdaylily.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=guide.use).

If you want a shrub, you might consider a holly of some kind. They don't have to have prickly leaves; the holly comes in smooth-leafed varieties, too, like the inkberry (http://www.umassd.edu/garden/index/Ilex_glabra.cfm) holly (http://www.georgian.edu/pinebarrens/bi_p_igl.htm) , which has black berries instead of the standard red. Lots of holly info here (http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00058.asp).

But it might be helpful to know just why it was that your azaleas didn't make it. Too dry? Soil not acidic enough? Too much sun? Spider mites or some other sort of pest?

--Lindsey

Lindsey
June 15th, 2006, 10:43 PM
I would be tempted to plant one of the showier hydrangeas (http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/paniculata.html).
I've never been a particular fan of the snowball-type hydrangeas, but I do love the lacecap hydrangeas (http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/lacecaps.html) and I have long told myself I was going to plant some. I think oakleaf hydrangeas (http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/oakleaf.html) are interesting, too.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
June 15th, 2006, 11:39 PM
If you aren't adamant that it must be some kind of shrub, you might want to consider daylilies (http://www.daylily-garden-perennials.com/).
I've been thinking about daylilies since they're all over the place right now and they sure are pretty. But I think I may want them for another location. I think I need something fairly substantial for this gap between the arbovitae.

If you want a shrub, you might consider a holly of some kind. Got a great big gorgeous holly on the other side of the door.

But it might be helpful to know just why it was that your azaleas didn't make it. Too dry? Soil not acidic enough? Too much sun? Spider mites or some other sort of pest?Too dry (you may recall how incredibly dry it was last summer) and some other sort of pest (a houseguest who was supposed to water it for me when I was laid up last summer and didn't!) The azalea on the other side of the door (from right to left another large arbovitae, azalea, then holly bush) made it all right -- it got just a little less sun and a little more water, I think.

Judy G. Russell
June 15th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Hmmm... those are nice too. My big concern is going to be the amount of sun in this location. It's quite sunny.

Lindsey
June 16th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Too dry (you may recall how incredibly dry it was last summer)
Sunny and dry is a tough order, especially if you don't want something that looks scrubby. And I will warn you; this site (http://www.thegardenhelper.com/Hydrangea.htm) says "Hydrangeas need an abundance of water (hydrangea means water tub in Greek), partial to full sun,and very rich soil." But you can probably judge by what is growing well in your vicinity.

But I'm thinking that shrubs with small leaves (or even needles) may do better in dry soil than shrubs with large leaves, because less surface area means a slower rate of evaporation of moisture from the leaf. Generous mulching may help, too.

Oh, hey, here's a list you may want to check out:

Shrubs for Dry Soil
Autumn Olive
New Jersey Tea
Buckhorn
Ninebark
Cinquefoil
Privet
Cotoneaster
Quince
Gray Dogwood
Smoketree
Lead Plant
St.Johnwort
Mentor and Japanese Barberry
Sumac
Witch-hazel
Morrow Honeysuckle
W.Sand Cherry
Nannyberry
Yucca
(http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/hort2/sections/s4p32-47.pdf)

Yucca? No, no, not yucca. And definitely not for a foundation planting.

and some other sort of pest (a houseguest who was supposed to water it for me when I was laid up last summer and didn't!)
Oh, yeah, the worst sort of pest there is!!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
June 16th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the leads, Lindsey! I'll check 'em all out!

ktinkel
June 16th, 2006, 09:10 AM
I've never been a particular fan of the snowball-type hydrangeas, but I do love the lacecap hydrangeas and I have long told myself I was going to plant some. I think oakleaf hydrangeas are interesting, too.We have an oakleaf hydrangea. It is lovely when in bloom (for a few weeks, ending here about a month ago), and the leaves, if you study them, are also decorative.

But it tends to go rangy and we forget to prune it before it sets its buds, so ours is seriously out of control, looking like an unkempt hedge for most of the year. That is not appealing.

I used to dislike common old ball-flowering hydrangeas, but when we were in France we saw gorgeous ones, in many subtle colors ranging from dusty rose through lilac to mauve. After that, I softened my view of those common styles of hydrangea.

One thing about them — they do like to grow! Just provide enough sun and off they go. Someone gave me a potted one once, the most ordinary sort of plant. After it flowered we stuck it in the dirt, sort of off-handedly. The next year I had a plant about 2 feet high with many blooms, and the year after that even more. (Then we left that house.)

My problem with hydrangeas, like most rhodies, mountain laurel, etc. is the short blooming season. I really love flowers and find a sea of greenery to be oppressive sometimes. I wish I had the genius to plant perennials so that something is always in bloom in the garden. Ah well. Serious problem, eh? <g>

::

ktinkel
June 16th, 2006, 09:13 AM
If you aren't adamant that it must be some kind of shrub, you might want to consider daylilies (http://www.daylily-garden-perennials.com/). Daylilies are a great idea. There are varieties and specimens so you can have blooms almost from June through October around here. Some bloom twice.

Peony is another possible choice. They are lovely, with voluptuous flowers, like big roses without all the angst.

Judy G. Russell
June 16th, 2006, 10:55 AM
My problem with hydrangeas, like most rhodies, mountain laurel, etc. is the short blooming season.Urk! I thought they had a long blooming season, like all summer!

Judy G. Russell
June 16th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Peony is another possible choice. They are lovely, with voluptuous flowers, like big roses without all the angst. Don't peonies have to be staked and all that?

Jeff
June 16th, 2006, 01:12 PM
I think I'm going to put a bird bath out in the side yard. Here, this is mostly for looks (and deer are not something I have to worry about here in the inner suburbs!).

Keep water in it all winter, and unfreeze it once a day when you can look out to see what happens. Birds need to bathe to clean under their feathers to stay warm. I heard about that in Holland, and tried it. After a week or so when I'd come home at about the same time every day I'd be greeted by a veritable chirping chorus; at least a dozen or so sparrows and such, all looking at me and demanding unfrozen (but cold) water in the birdbath. And so I did and did they go at it! That was amazing, as was watching them politely waiting their turn to bathe.

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
June 16th, 2006, 01:58 PM
After a week or so when I'd come home at about the same time every day I'd be greeted by a veritable chirping chorus; at least a dozen or so sparrows and such, all looking at me and demanding unfrozen (but cold) water in the birdbath. And so I did and did they go at it! That was amazing, as was watching them politely waiting their turn to bathe.Ooooh... that sounds wonderful. And of course if I do that I'll also have to sport for the new camera with the long lens to get good photographs and...

Sigh... nothing in life is cheap any more, is it???

fhaber
June 16th, 2006, 02:09 PM
>Sigh... nothing in life is cheap any more, is it???

Did someone say, "free as a bird?" Must have been a loan officer.

As a city boy, I'm somewhat bemused by the avian life upstairs here on the roof. Have any of you other mid-atlantic residents noted an invasion by birdies formerly common only in the solid South? I hear tweets that sound shockingly like a whipporwill, and other very imitative ones, including what sounds like an imitation of cell phone rings and wild tropical forest calls.

Since I'm a native of the concrete, I can't tell one feathered friend from another, most of the time. And the situation is complicated by the fact that Molly has a collector's-item wall clock that sounds a different, Cornell-authenticated bird call each hour. And the birdies are out of sync with the pictures.

Global warming is the least of my problems.

-birdbrain, with feet of asphalt

Judy G. Russell
June 16th, 2006, 02:43 PM
I also can't tell a robin from a goshawk by its call, but it does seem to me that there are a lot more birds around this year...

Lindsey
June 16th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the leads, Lindsey! I'll check 'em all out!
After noodling around a little, I'm not sure how suitable most of those would be as foundation plantings after all; some of them, at least, are too large for that, and some are rather lacking in the neatness category, too. Sprawly is one thing out in the yard, but out of place when it's right next to the house.

Don't be too quick to dismiss daylilies; the foliage for those can be quite substantial, and it lasts pretty much all season long, from early spring until winter. Sort of like an ornamental grass with blooms. See here (http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00010.asp) for some ideas about using them. I'll have to see if I can get some pictures of the road that runs in front of our office building. They planted some daylilies in the median, but I'm not sure they're still blooming.

But depending on what you ultimately decide to put in that space, I did happen to think of an edging plant that would probably thrive along the front of it: liriope (http://www.natorp.com/Liriope.htm). It's a really, really, tough plant -- just about impossible to kill unless you do something like spray it with Roundup. You can mow it down to the ground in the winter, when the leaves get brown and scraggly. And yet, tough as it is, it's a very attractive plant, making nice grassy clumps that have lovely lavendar-colored spikes of bloom in September. I have some variegated liriope along the edge of my gravel driveway, and believe me, that's a pretty tough environment.

--Lindsey

Lindsey
June 16th, 2006, 04:26 PM
But it tends to go rangy and we forget to prune it before it sets its buds, so ours is seriously out of control, looking like an unkempt hedge for most of the year. That is not appealing.
Yikes -- no, high maintenance plants like that definitely get struck off my list. <sigh> And the pictures were always so attractive. :(

I used to dislike common old ball-flowering hydrangeas, but when we were in France we saw gorgeous ones, in many subtle colors ranging from dusty rose through lilac to mauve. After that, I softened my view of those common styles of hydrangea.
Oh, yeah, dusty rose or lilac does sound much nicer, and easier to combine with other plants. The colors on the old-fashioned varieties that you so often see growing around old farmhouses are anything but subtle!

One thing about them — they do like to grow! Just provide enough sun and off they go.
Which is a good recommendation for a spot like Judy is talking about. You want something that will grow even without a lot of encouragement.

My problem with hydrangeas, like most rhodies, mountain laurel, etc. is the short blooming season. I really love flowers and find a sea of greenery to be oppressive sometimes.
That's why I like plants with interesting leaves -- hosta, for example, or artemesia, Japanese maples, liriope. Peonies, too -- I like the peony leaves every bit as much as I like the gorgeous flowers.

I wish I had the genius to plant perennials so that something is always in bloom in the garden.
I think it takes not only genius but space and time as well, and I'm afraid I'm lacking in all of those things! Even the ready-made plans that you can find don't help me, because I can never figure out how to adapt them to my own situation, certainly not without going to a lot of trouble, like plowing up half the yard, which I think would never have time to plant, let alone weed! I'd need a landscaper and at least a part-time gardener, and those just aren't in the budget!

--Lindsey

Lindsey
June 16th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Peony is another possible choice. They are lovely, with voluptuous flowers, like big roses without all the angst.
Oh, yes, I love peonies. I like them better than roses, not just because they're less trouble, but also because they're so sweetly modest. Roses are too shouty. Not to mention the thorns!

--Lindsey

ktinkel
June 16th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I also can't tell a robin from a goshawk by its call, but it does seem to me that there are a lot more birds around this year...And we, only about 60 miles from Frank’s asphalt, have a dearth.

I am pretty sure that we had many cormorants and egrets by this time last year. I have only seen one cormorant in a month, and we seem to have a lonely egret who comes to poke around our little “beach” at low tide.

We saw a couple of cardinals a few weeks ago, but none since. Even the monk parakeets have not been around.

Even the teals and geese are scarce.

Judy G. Russell
June 16th, 2006, 08:35 PM
And we, only about 60 miles from Frank’s asphalt, have a dearth. I am pretty sure that we had many cormorants and egrets by this time last year. I have only seen one cormorant in a month, and we seem to have a lonely egret who comes to poke around our little “beach” at low tide. We saw a couple of cardinals a few weeks ago, but none since. Even the monk parakeets have not been around. Even the teals and geese are scarce.Maybe they're all hanging around Times Square?

ktinkel
June 16th, 2006, 08:51 PM
I'd need a landscaper and at least a part-time gardener, and those just aren't in the budget!Oh, yeah!

I have a willing gardener, sort of — given very specific instructions Jack will do whatever.

And every so often we call Katherine, the brilliant garden designer, to tell us what to do. But in between, well, it would make any real gardener cringe.

So we creep along. Sigh.

Lindsey
June 16th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Even the teals and geese are scarce.
I was seeing lots of geese several weeks ago. On several occasions, I'd here this odd honking noise above me and think "What the h--?" only to look up and realize it was a flock of geese flying overhead.

I confess to being not terribly observant of birds, but now that I think about it, usually in spring, I get a lot of hammering on the sides of the house from woodpeckers. I think I've only heard a woodpecker once this year. But the top of my car, the rails of my deck, and the sides of my house are testament to the fact that there is no shortage of birds in this area. :(

--Lindsey

Lindsey
June 16th, 2006, 10:35 PM
I have a willing gardener, sort of — given very specific instructions Jack will do whatever.
Hah! Well, you know how it is -- good live-in help is terribly hard to come by...

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
June 17th, 2006, 08:02 AM
That liriope looks great, thanks!

As for the daylilies, I do want some, but I do think I'd rather have some sort of shrub in this spot, and keep the daylilies for the side yard.

Jeff
June 17th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Ooooh... that sounds wonderful. And of course if I do that I'll also have to sport for the new camera with the long lens to get good photographs and...

Sigh... nothing in life is cheap any more, is it???

Did I mention that more often than not one and sometimes two would be standing on the ice in the birdbath while chirping at me. It was absolutely precious.

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
June 17th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Did I mention that more often than not one and sometimes two would be standing on the ice in the birdbath while chirping at me. It was absolutely precious.That really is wonderful, Jeff. Sure sounds like something I'd like to see... and help create if I can.

earler
June 17th, 2006, 04:39 PM
If they are swallows that means good luck. We have our swallows return every year and make their nests in the eaves over the garages.

-er

earler
June 17th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Peonies are lovely. Their scent is wonderful. But, they are in flower for only a short time and wind or a good rain will destroy the flowers quickly.

-er

earler
June 17th, 2006, 04:43 PM
We have a number of hydrangeas, 5 in large boxes and a number in the ground where we replaced some of the lilies. The problem with the latter is we have to cover them during the winter to prevent their freezing.

But, once in bloom they continue to be in flower for 3 months or so. Of course, they require a lot of water. During hot weather every day.

-er

davidh
June 17th, 2006, 06:47 PM
FYI

Gardening Questions and Answers

RSS feed, 1 article per day

http://www.almanac.com/gardening/index.php

XML button for RSS is at bottom of page, or one can click on the RSS icon(s) provided automatically by Firefox,...

DH

Lindsey
June 17th, 2006, 10:46 PM
As for the daylilies, I do want some, but I do think I'd rather have some sort of shrub in this spot, and keep the daylilies for the side yard.
Daylilies will probably be prefectly happy almost anywhere you plant them!

--Lindsey

Lindsey
June 17th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Peonies are lovely. Their scent is wonderful. But, they are in flower for only a short time and wind or a good rain will destroy the flowers quickly.
I have never noticed that peonies have any particular scent, but maybe that's because around here they're overwhelmed by things like magnolia and honeysuckle.

wind or a good rain will destroy the flowers quickly.
True; especially the large double blooms. But that only makes them all the more precious.

--Lindsey

ktinkel
June 18th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Maybe they're all hanging around Times Square?You think?

Nah — an egret near Times Square would make the papers, even that grey lady, the New York Times!

ktinkel
June 18th, 2006, 10:17 AM
I was seeing lots of geese several weeks ago. Actually, we have a local family that comes by at low tide. Four or five adults (varies) with two goslings. Interesting the way all the adults tend to surround the little ones and keep an eye on them — I saw two adults go after a gosling about to get enmeshed in a tangle of sea grass.

Yesterday I saw them again and the babies are about 70% the size of the adults. They grow fast, apparently.

I confess to being not terribly observant of birds … Until we moved to this house on an estuary, neither was I. It took an eagle, hawk, cardinal, or other really distinctive bird to catch my attention. But here we do have many interesting birds, and we dragged out some old opera glasses and bought a couple of bird books to help us sort them out.

Egrets, cormorants, gulls (several varieties), grey herons, ospreys, another sort of smallish hawk, turkey buzzards, monk parakeets, and many other less interesting birds. Sometimes we see cardinals or bluebirds. Crows are endlessly entertaining (and really smart). Doves (at least the mourning doves we have) are truly nasty — bullies, really. Not sure who decided they should be a sign of peace!

BTW, semi-relevant factoid: Be careful when you express distances “as the crow flies.” Turns out they follow highways and roads.

ktinkel
June 18th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Urk! I thought they had a long blooming season, like all summer!Perhaps there are some variations, but our large rhododendrons (3 different types) bloomed at intervals but all are done now. So are the small ones.

And the iris are just finished. All we have for color now are some smallish roses, down near the water, so I cannot get at them. And some pretty yellow flowers whose name I know not, but very cheerful. The hosta are just putting up the flower stems, and we are awash in hosta (Jack says he wants to cover the lawn with them!) so we will have their subtle flowers.

ktinkel
June 18th, 2006, 11:08 AM
. . . good live-in help is terribly hard to come by...True enough. And I did pretty well — an energetic and strong systems engineer! <g>

ktinkel
June 18th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Don't peonies have to be staked and all that?Depends on the variety and size. Small compact ones do not normally need staking. Some of the more dramatic taller ones do, but it is not too much work, and you can leave the stakes in place from season to season.

fhaber
June 18th, 2006, 01:00 PM
(geese)

Are those flocks of Canadas still infest^H^H resident/wintering on the village ponds of several disgruntled mid-Jersey towns? Three or four years ago, well into November, the poop level on the town green and surrounding benches was quite remarkable.

We had to shoo to shoot. With cameras, of course (evil grin). Yes, they're mean.

Judy G. Russell
June 18th, 2006, 06:29 PM
an egret near Times Square would make the papers, even that grey lady, the New York Times!Maybe not until somebody tried to evict it, ala Pale Male!

Judy G. Russell
June 18th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Are those flocks of Canadas still infest^H^H resident/wintering on the village ponds of several disgruntled mid-Jersey towns? Three or four years ago, well into November, the poop level on the town green and surrounding benches was quite remarkable. Yep. A lot of the towns have tried everything up to and including some very nasty dogs to try to keep the geese away.

Judy G. Russell
June 18th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Hmmm... I knew that rhodies had a relatively short blooming season, but for some reason thought that hydrangeas had a much longer season.

Judy G. Russell
June 18th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Daylilies will probably be prefectly happy almost anywhere you plant them!So it appears... pretty hardy (pretty and hardy!).

Judy G. Russell
June 18th, 2006, 06:34 PM
I dunno... I may think about those for some spot where a mistake won't be quite so noticeable. This spot is RIGHT in front of the house. That's why I'm really leaning very strongly towards a shrub type of planting there.

lensue
June 18th, 2006, 07:17 PM
>So... what do I plant there?<

Judy, I've been knee deep in gardening matters--how about something like a beehive holly--it's evergreen and stays relately small. Regards, Len

lensue
June 18th, 2006, 07:19 PM
>If you have deer and gophers, plant what they won't eat.<

David, trouble is they eat everything! Best thing we ever did in our garden was put a fence around it! Regards, Len

lensue
June 18th, 2006, 07:24 PM
>I was seeing lots of geese several weeks ago.<

Lindsey, a cousin came in from LA and wanted us to show him the great Botanical Garden in the Bronx--on the way in we needed a pit stop on busy Rte 3 in NJ where they have a MacDonald's--what an unlikely place to find so many Canadian Geese! Regards, Len [g]

lensue
June 18th, 2006, 07:26 PM
>the poop level <

Frank, those darn Canadian Geese are tuining gardens all over the area--if you get to Westbury Gardens out on the island remember to look down as you stroll! Regards, Len [g]

lensue
June 18th, 2006, 07:29 PM
>but I do love the lacecap hydrangeas and I have long told myself I was going to plant some. I think oakleaf hydrangeas are interesting, too.<

Lindsey, they like shade--does Judy's area get shade? Regards, Len

lensue
June 18th, 2006, 07:35 PM
>We have an oakleaf hydrangea.<

We have about 5 oakleafs in our garden--they need shade but are magnificent for a shade garden--I don't think they are right for Judy's space. BTW the fall foliage of that hydrangea is to die for. They are making great use of this hydrangea at the Bronx Botanic Gardens where we were yesterday. Regards, Len

lensue
June 18th, 2006, 07:44 PM
> I thought they had a long blooming season, like all summer<

Judy, many do--we have invested heavily in a new variety named Endless Summer which blooms on any wood--no special trimming is required--they bloom like crazy but need shade. We saw wonderful hydrangeas at the Bronx Botanic garden yesterday. The roses were incredible too--the color was superb on so many plants! Regards, Len

lensue
June 18th, 2006, 07:50 PM
>but I do think I'd rather have some sort of shrub in this spot<

Judy, I looked at your photo and agree a shrub is what you want--a small juniper could do the job for you--they are evergreen, hardy and care free. Many junipers get big but some do stay within bounds--for example the blue star juniper. Regards, Len

lensue
June 18th, 2006, 07:52 PM
>Daylilies will probably be prefectly happy almost anywhere you plant them!<

Lindsey, not in shade though--fortunately that is not Judy's case. But they do want sun!!! Regards, Len

lensue
June 18th, 2006, 07:54 PM
>Don't peonies have to be staked and all that?<

Judy, most do--we have about 40 and if you don't stake them and the rain falls at the wrong time down they come! Regards, Len [g]

lensue
June 18th, 2006, 07:57 PM
>That's why I'm really leaning very strongly towards a shrub type of planting there.<

Judy, your instincts are IMO right on--one peony would look awkward--the area needs a shrub--a small holly, a small juniper, a dwarf spruce--there are plenty of them out there. Regards, Len

Judy G. Russell
June 18th, 2006, 07:57 PM
we have invested heavily in a new variety named Endless Summer which blooms on any wood--no special trimming is required--they bloom like crazy but need shadeNot much shade in this particular location, I'm afraid. Sigh...

Judy G. Russell
June 18th, 2006, 08:01 PM
the area needs a shrub--a small holly, a small juniper, a dwarf spruce--there are plenty of them out there.Len, I'd really like to have something that BLOOMS. I've got lots of evergreens and even a fairly large holly (see this photo (http://www.pbase.com/jgr/image/43120770) and you'll see the holly at the left, the azalea that survived, the arbovitae and then on the right, between the two arbovitae the azalea that didn't survive). So I'm tempted to replace the azalea that didn't survive with another one or something like that.

MollyM/CA
June 18th, 2006, 08:05 PM
I think I've only heard a woodpecker once this year. But the top of my car, the rails of my deck, and the sides of my house are testament to the fact that there is no shortage of birds in this area. :(

--Lindsey

Bear in mind that singing is the male's lure to a mate and his announcement of territory, and that once the female is on the nest there's no more singing and at my place very little calling, even, among the many species nesting here. Yesterday I spooked something that sounded awfully like an oriole --that resonant voice and the tritone in the call are distinctive if not quite diagnostic-- into calling while working in the front yard, and I haven't heard one for weeks. Amazing that a bright orange and black bird can so successfully disappear.

m

ktinkel
June 18th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Hi, Molly —

I was just wondering where you were. Here the rest of us are talking about gardens and such . . .

MollyM/CA
June 18th, 2006, 09:16 PM
I was just wondering where you were.

Tell me if you find out, I'd like to know myself.

Lindsey
June 18th, 2006, 09:20 PM
on busy Rte 3 in NJ where they have a MacDonald's--what an unlikely place to find so many Canadian Geese! Regards, Len [g]
Oh, I don't know -- you see them just about anywhere!

--Lindsey

Lindsey
June 18th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Lindsey, they like shade--does Judy's area get shade? Regards, Len
Oh, do they? No, this is definitely a spot that gets full sun.

--Lindsey

Lindsey
June 18th, 2006, 09:23 PM
BTW the fall foliage of that hydrangea is to die for. They are making great use of this hydrangea at the Bronx Botanic Gardens where we were yesterday. Regards, Len
Oh, my, those are really lovely!

--Lindsey

Lindsey
June 18th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Lindsey, not in shade though--fortunately that is not Judy's case. But they do want sun!!! Regards, Len
Not deep shade, no, but they are reasonably shade-tolerant. I have some on the north side of my house (planted by the previous owner), and it's not a problem for them. And the ones planted in the median on Cox Road, near my office, are underneath trees.

--Lindsey

Lindsey
June 18th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Bear in mind that singing is the male's lure to a mate and his announcement of territory, and that once the female is on the nest there's no more singing and at my place very little calling, even, among the many species nesting here.
Oh, sure, early spring is definitely the season for hearing the birds. But usually in early spring, I'll wake up to the sound of a woodpecker hammering away on my drain pipe or something several times over a period of a couple of weeks, and this year, I only heard that one time.

--Lindsey

earler
June 19th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Hydrangeas do remain in bloom for a long time, months in fact. Then, when they change into an autumnal shades before the inevitable end.

-er

Judy G. Russell
June 19th, 2006, 07:40 AM
you see them just about anywhere!Certainly just about anywhere here in NJ -- especially where you'd prefer they weren't!

ktinkel
June 19th, 2006, 08:39 AM
(geese)

Are those flocks of Canadas still infest^H^H resident/wintering on the village ponds of several disgruntled mid-Jersey towns? Dunno about New Jersey but they are considered nuisances here, that’s for sure.

And while I like to watch them in the water, I also hate to see too many, as they seem to drive away the birds I like more — cormorants, egrets, etc., which have a longer claim to shore habitats.

Swans are also considered a nuisance around here, though I defy anyone seeing a couple of those serenely floating by (or so it appears) not to admire them.

Big birds do make big messes, that’s for sure. And I don’t know about Canada geese, but the domestic varieties are nasty.

ktinkel
June 19th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Maybe not until somebody tried to evict it, ala Pale Male!Maybe so.

That poor guy can’t even make babies; wonder if anyone will care next time there is an eviction notice! Obviously a loser. . . <g>

lensue
June 19th, 2006, 10:35 AM
>I'd really like to have something that BLOOMS<

Judy, well we have about 25 kinds of spireas in our garden--maybe they would work for you--they are blooming in our garden right now. They like sun and are very tough plants--a popular one is gold mound spirea. Now a plant that doesn't bloom but which has a wonderful maroon color are your barberries--maybe that would suit you if you got one that didn't get to big. There are also shrubs called weigelia that take sun--they have some small varieties that might work--they too are very tough. Also there are some azaleas that could tolerate more sun than others but all azaleas are shallow rooted so be prepared to water when NJ has one of it's typical mini-droughts! There are also what they call exbury azaleas which are deciduous and can take sun--their flowers are special btw! Your problem is that there are so many choices but only one space! Regards, Len [g]

Judy G. Russell
June 19th, 2006, 11:17 AM
That poor guy can’t even make babies; wonder if anyone will care next time there is an eviction notice! Obviously a loser. . . <g>Hey hey now... he's raised 26 chicks!! Just not in the last two years...

Lindsey
June 20th, 2006, 12:17 AM
There are also shrubs called weigelia that take sun--they have some small varieties that might work--they too are very tough.
They're tough all right! I have one in my back yard -- also planted by the previous owner -- that is 5 or 6 feet high. Weigelia, for those of you not familiar with it, is one of those "weeping" types of shrubs, like forsythia. I got tired of trying to mow underneath the thing and getting all tangled up in the canes, so I finally just cut it off all the way down to the ground. And it came back!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
June 20th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Your problem is that there are so many choices but only one space!But there's only one RIGHT choice. It's finding that one that's posing the challenge!

lensue
June 20th, 2006, 09:06 AM
>that is 5 or 6 feet high<

Lindsey, they have developed some smaller varieties too that get nice little red flowers. See for example http://www.naturehills.com/new/product/shrubs_productdetails.aspx?proname=Weigela+-+Minuet Regards, Len

lensue
June 20th, 2006, 09:09 AM
>But there's only one RIGHT choice<

Judy, that's not my experience from gardening--there are many good choices for us all the time. Regards, Len [g]

lensue
June 20th, 2006, 09:16 AM
>I have never noticed that peonies have any particular scent, <

Lindsey, we have about 25 and some have beautiful smells--others none at all.

>especially the large double blooms. But that only makes them all the more precious<

And also darn hard to stake and keep upright! Regards, Len [g]

Judy G. Russell
June 20th, 2006, 09:27 AM
>But there's only one RIGHT choice<
Judy, that's not my experience from gardening--there are many good choices for us all the time.I think you're missing my point. For me, for that space, there's something that's going to be Just Right. I haven't quite figured out what it is yet!

Lindsey
June 20th, 2006, 04:21 PM
But there's only one RIGHT choice. It's finding that one that's posing the challenge!
Oh, no, there are probably any number of "right" choices. The main thing is to decide what characteristics you absolutely, positively, have to have and what you absolutely, positively, do not want, and then choose something that has all of the former and none of the latter. (Just don't put too many things in either category, or you'll find nothing that fits!)

--Lindsey

Lindsey
June 20th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Lindsey, they have developed some smaller varieties too that get nice little red flowers.
And I'm sure I'd like the smaller ones better than I like the one in my yard, though it's a good size for the particular place that it's sitting in.

--Lindsey

Lindsey
June 20th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Lindsey, we have about 25 and some have beautiful smells--others none at all.
I don't have anywhere near that many, but I have never noticed a scent. Magnolias, now -- those I notice. My mother has a swamp magnolia (http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/trees-new/magnolia_virginiana.html) that is in bloom right now, and it just smells heavenly. Handsome tree, too. I'll have to see if I can't sneak away a "volunteer". I would love to have one near my bedroom window.

And also darn hard to stake and keep upright!
I'm not that fussy. :p

--Lindsey

Lindsey
June 20th, 2006, 04:32 PM
For me, for that space, there's something that's going to be Just Right.
You're setting yourself up for paralysis, you know... ;)

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
June 20th, 2006, 05:59 PM
I don't think what I want is too far out there.

I'd like something that'll end up 4-6' high, that blooms with some color for as long a period as I can manage, that will handle lots of sun and doesn't look really crappy in the winter.

lensue
June 20th, 2006, 08:16 PM
>I think you're missing my point.<

Judy, I'm afraid you're setting yourself up for paralysis! Regards, Len [fleeing rapidly!]

lensue
June 20th, 2006, 08:21 PM
>doesn't look really crappy in the winter.<

Judy, well the hydrangeas and the day lilies are gone then--and there go the weigelias and spireas--the hollies are still alive--you want an evergreen! BTW don't forget the possibility of boxwoods! Regards, Len

lensue
June 20th, 2006, 08:24 PM
>Magnolias, now -- those I notice. <

Lindsey, definitely--we love ours! And then of course there are the lilacs--definitely near the top. Regards, Len

MollyM/CA
June 20th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Judy:

I grabbed a box of cherry juice in the Eastern market, and found when I got home that it was Cornelian cherry nectar, and very good, too. On the side of the box is written "I love the sunsavoured gift of my sweet Armenia."

How could anyone resist? Cornelian Cherry's a type of dogwood, supposed to be very attractive to birds and would probably grow well there. It looks very pretty in its pictures --I image-Googled "Cornelian Cherry." Dogwood hates it here but I'm thinking of trying one myself.

Lindsey
June 20th, 2006, 10:44 PM
I'd like something that'll end up 4-6' high, that blooms with some color for as long a period as I can manage, that will handle lots of sun and doesn't look really crappy in the winter.
Here's something else you might consider: instead of something that gives you flowers in spring, how about something that gives you color in the fall? Not color from blooms, but color from bright leaves?

I don't know too much about this plant, but I saw it mentioned on an About.com page, and it sounded like it might fit, in a manner of speaking: A cultivar of Euonymus alatus known as "Rudy Haag (http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=R440)" (a.k.a. dwarf burning bush, a.k.a. winged euonymus).

It grows 3-5 feet high.
It will grow in full sun to part shade, but you get the best fall color when it's grown in full sun.
It likes a medium level of moisture, but it's tolerant of a wide range of soils.
It's relatively low maintenance (only grows 3-4 inches a year).
Zones 3-8 (according to Bluestone Perennials), so you don't have to worry about it getting blasted from cold.
Blooms in May, but flowers aren't much to speak of. Neither is the fruit. But the scarlet leaves in the fall are a knockout.
Judging from the picture, the leaves are pretty attractive the rest of the season (but it's deciduous).

Note: If you go for this, you want to be sure you get "Rudy Haag". Otherwise, you might end up with something that wants to grow 15 feet high. Also, the species itself is invasive, but "Rudy Haag" is virtually seedless.

--Lindsey

Lindsey
June 20th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Lindsey, definitely--we love ours! And then of course there are the lilacs--definitely near the top. Regards, Len
Oh, yeah, I love lilacs, too -- but in other people's yards! They attract bees, for one thing. And for another, in this neck of the woods, they have a serious mildew problem.

But gosh, gorgeous blooms, delicious scent, and very attractive leaves -- when they're not covered with mildew!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
June 20th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Do I hear an echo in here???

Judy G. Russell
June 20th, 2006, 11:41 PM
I'm starting to look at the abelias. They may have everything I want in a semi-evergreen.

Judy G. Russell
June 20th, 2006, 11:46 PM
I saw the euonymus (eunymi?) online and will take a closer look. I'm also looking at the abelias -- the glossy abelia (http://www.arborday.org/Trees/TreeGuide/TreeDetail.cfm?ID=221) should be semi-evergreen here.

Judy G. Russell
June 20th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Fortunately, no mildew problem here and FINALLY my lilac bloomed this year!!!

http://www.pbase.com/jgr/image/59374138/medium.jpg

Lindsey
June 20th, 2006, 11:58 PM
I'm starting to look at the abelias. They may have everything I want in a semi-evergreen.
Ooooh, those are not plants I'm familiar with, but I just looked them up on Google, and they sound very interesting! And you get fall and winter interest from the leaves as well as blooms in the spring. Yeah, well worth a look, I think!

--Lindsey

Lindsey
June 20th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Oh, wow, that's truly gorgeous!

--Lindsey

lensue
June 21st, 2006, 06:01 AM
>Do I hear an echo in here???<

Judy, who, me? LOL! BTW I'll be asking you for advice soon on what to plant--we just had 2 arbors built for us--one replaces an old black metal one we had for years which was an eyesore. We'll probably go with clibing roses, maybe honey suckle and clematis if we can figure out how to attach lattice to parts of the arbors. Regards, Len

lensue
June 21st, 2006, 06:05 AM
>They may have everything I want in a semi-evergreen<

Judy, I can't recommend them--we have 3 and they can't take our winters that well--every year we cut the deadwood down to the ground and they return by mid summer--they won't give you your biggest bang for the buck IMO. Also the flowers are okay but not really that special. Regards, Len

lensue
June 21st, 2006, 06:27 AM
>dwarf burning bush, a.k.a. winged euonymus<

Lindsey, we have 3 of those--they get big and wide--I think they are too wide for the area Judy has in mind--I'd go with something more compact myself. Actually I have a few photos of the one's in our garden with its fall foliage which is superb--the burning bush are the maroon plants in the distance in one of the photos--the other photos shows them up close--you get an idea of how big and wide even the dwarfs get. Regards, Len

lensue
June 21st, 2006, 06:30 AM
>when they're not covered with mildew!<

Lindsey, we have cultivars that don't get the mildew--they were at their very best this spring--the smell on what we refer to as "lilac avenue" was heaven!!! Regards, Len

Judy G. Russell
June 21st, 2006, 09:44 AM
Ooooh, those are not plants I'm familiar with, but I just looked them up on Google, and they sound very interesting! And you get fall and winter interest from the leaves as well as blooms in the spring. Yeah, well worth a look, I think!Now I need to find a nursery that has one I can LOOK at!

Judy G. Russell
June 21st, 2006, 09:45 AM
Oh I do love clematis. We were down in Kentucky this past weekend for a family baby shower (my great grand nephew is due in August) and the clematis there was just spectacular. And I've always been partial to honeysuckle too.

Judy G. Russell
June 21st, 2006, 09:46 AM
What cultivar do you have, Len? There are some that apparently do better in winter than others.

Judy G. Russell
June 21st, 2006, 09:48 AM
They can be pruned to shape the bushes, no?

Judy G. Russell
June 21st, 2006, 09:49 AM
Oh, wow, that's truly gorgeous!Thanks -- I sure thought so, since this was the FIRST year it bloomed. What with the lilac and all the bulbs I planted, I was a pretty happy camper this spring!

lensue
June 21st, 2006, 12:53 PM
>and the clematis there was just spectacular<

Judy, there are so many great varieties of clematis--we love them and are glad to have a chance to buy and plant some more for these two new arbors. Regards, Len

lensue
June 21st, 2006, 12:56 PM
>They can be pruned to shape the bushes, no?<

Judy, IMHO putting a dwarf burning bush in that space were be sheer madness--it's way too big for your space. Regards, Len

Judy G. Russell
June 21st, 2006, 01:03 PM
The bush is too big for the space? The space is roughly 6' wide by whatever (up to 8' or more) high!

Judy G. Russell
June 21st, 2006, 01:03 PM
Looks like you're going to have fun, then. The arbors are lovely.

Nick Parkin
June 21st, 2006, 05:11 PM
Don't peonies have to be staked and all that?

No - but they do like time to get established.

Lindsey
June 21st, 2006, 05:12 PM
you get an idea of how big and wide even the dwarfs get. Regards, Len
Is that a "Rudy Haag" cultivar, or the regular Compacta? The Rudy Haags are supposed to be true dwarfs, and suitable for foundation plantings. Judy could take out that smaller arborvitae at the corner of the house and give the euonymus a little room to spread if she wanted. And of course, you can always trim it back, but you don't want to set yourself up to have to make that a frequent job. At 3-4" a year, though, it would take a while for it to get out of hand. ;)

They do get wide, though; about as wide as they are tall, it appears.

The color of those leaves really is spectacular, isn't it? Sometimes I suspect that the color in the commercial catalogs and web sites is artificially enhanced, but your pictures match what was on that web site exactly.

--Lindsey

Nick Parkin
June 21st, 2006, 05:18 PM

You gave no clues about your soil or climate. Personally ... I hate your evergreens, but notice that your Geranium is doing very well.

1) Pull out the green rubbish

2) If you have a frost free climate fill the bed with Coleus http://www.gardenguides.com/articles/coleus.htm & Geraniums

3) If you are temperate then how about a herbaceous border?

ktinkel
June 21st, 2006, 08:15 PM
Dogwood hates it here but I'm thinking of trying one myself.Dogwood does wonderfully here in Connecticut, just a bit north of Judy’s place.

But would you place it against a house? I see it normally in the open or overhanging a road or pathway.

Dogwood is really handsome, for its few minutes. It produces tracts (not true flowers) early in the spring, when very little is blooming. If you drive the Merritt Highway through Connecticut in early spring, you see it along the road. Gorgeous.

Judy G. Russell
June 21st, 2006, 11:51 PM
No - but they do like time to get established.Hmmm... and I'm one of those who prays for patience, and ends the prayer: "And I want it RIGHT NOW!"

Judy G. Russell
June 21st, 2006, 11:52 PM
I have a white dogwood in my side yard. It's lovely!

Judy G. Russell
June 21st, 2006, 11:58 PM
I'm in zone 6, Nick -- generally good growing soil. New Jersey is called the Garden State for a reason. The area at issue faces a fairly busy street and, as you can see, I have windows facing that street. Here's a shot of what the whole front of the house looks like (or looked like when the second azalea was new and still alive!) in a photo taken from the street:

http://www.pbase.com/jgr/image/43120770/medium.jpg

In part, I want the evergreens and accompanying plantings as a privacy screen from passersby, which is why I'm not opting to have a flower bed in the space.

ktinkel
June 22nd, 2006, 10:05 AM
I have a white dogwood in my side yard. It's lovely!Lucky you! I love the way the flowers seem to float in the air, as they appear before the leaves.

No place for a dogwood here, else I would have one.

ktinkel
June 22nd, 2006, 11:36 AM
In part, I want the evergreens and accompanying plantings as a privacy screen from passersby, which is why I'm not opting to have a flower bed in the space.Hmmm. Couple of perhaps disconnected thoughts here:

Using plants for privacy is tricky — to really screen the windows is to block out a lot of light.

How useful is your front yard to you? If you mainly “live” in the back or sides, I would consider planting a fast-growing hedge (privet, box) further from the house, toward the street. That would give your house visual privacy while retaining light. It would also enclose your front yard somewhat, maybe make it more useful.

Or even a tall picket fence, which would screen the view without blocking it entirely.

The house is so relentlessly symmetrical that it calls out for symmetrical plantings — or completely non-symmetrical, which would be easier (then the plants that don’t grow exactly the same on both sides would be less apparent).

As I say — kind of disconnected thoughts. (Too bad you’re not in an apartment — then I could refer you to my book on rooftop gardening (http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?ph=2&bsi=30&tn=All+Kinds+of+Flowers&prevpage=1) — up there sun and privacy are not issues!)

ktinkel
June 22nd, 2006, 11:47 AM
. . . winged euonymusWe had winged euonymus plants at several locations in Westport. When we arrived, there were two, one quite large, out by the street. I like this plant a lot, so we took cuttings and planted three more, planning to more or less screen the yard (there were also three maples that kind of framed the space).

I found them very easy to grow, and responsive to pruning — that is, you could control the shape that way. Very forgiving plant.

The fall display is lovely. At all seasons you get the really interesting stalks, which look something like flaking cork that twists in a spiral pattern. Very striking, and in its own way quite lovely.

However I would not place those next to your house, not even the dwarf variety. Too worky, keeping it under control.

Nice, nice plants, though.

Judy G. Russell
June 22nd, 2006, 01:45 PM
I would not place those next to your house, not even the dwarf variety. Too worky, keeping it under control. Nice, nice plants, though.Sigh... the list of "don'ts" is a lot longer than the list of "dos."

Judy G. Russell
June 22nd, 2006, 01:46 PM
I'm going to have to approach my neighbors to trim some trees on their property which overhang seriously (and NOT nicely) into my yard. They're starting to impinge on the space I set aside for the dogwood!

Judy G. Russell
June 22nd, 2006, 01:48 PM
Using plants for privacy is tricky — to really screen the windows is to block out a lot of light.As long as I can keep the light in the top halves of the lower windows, I'll be fine. So I'll trim - prune etc. down to that level. That's why the evergreens work so well there.

lensue
June 22nd, 2006, 04:05 PM
>The arbors are lovely<

Judy, thanks, we're also exploring a water feature--we have the perfect place for one--if only we had the money! Attached is a photo of the area looking out from our house where the water would work perfectly IMO. Regards, Len

lensue
June 22nd, 2006, 04:13 PM
>What cultivar do you have, Len?<

Judy, we have the Glossy Abelia.

Here's a website with a good description of the plant--you probably are a little warmer than we are--for us too much of the plant gets dead wood from the cold winters--maybe you'd have more success.

http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/envirohort/factsheets/shrubs/glosyab.html

Regards, Len

lensue
June 22nd, 2006, 04:21 PM
>The bush is too big for the space? The space is roughly 6' wide by whatever (up to 8' or more) high!<

Judy, definitely not enough space for that deciduous plant--not worth doing all the pruning you'll have to do--the shape unless you're really good we'll start to look awkward--also completely covering your windows with that plant seems a bad plan IMO. Well don't say I didn't warn you. Regards, Len [g]

lensue
June 22nd, 2006, 04:25 PM
>And I want it RIGHT NOW!"<

Judy, peonies have to cut down to the ground each year--your space will be blank in the winter until late April. Also an individual peony really does need to be staked or a heavy rainstorm will often knock it over--the beautiful flowers will be sitting there on the ground. Regards, Len

lensue
June 22nd, 2006, 04:30 PM
>Here's a shot of what the whole front of the house looks like <

Judy, now there's a great shot--you just gotta put in another azalea so both sides match--$15 to $25 bucks with some nice hardy azalea and your back in business! Regards, Len [g]

lensue
June 22nd, 2006, 04:33 PM
>That's why the evergreens work so well there<

Judy, exactly--and exactly why the dwarf burning bush will look so bad! Regards, Len [fleeing]

Lindsey
June 22nd, 2006, 10:05 PM
Too worky, keeping it under control.
That's two votes for "too much plant for close to the house." But it does sound like a nice shrub -- I like the ones that give you interest in more than one season.

--Lindsey

Lindsey
June 22nd, 2006, 10:08 PM
I'm going to have to approach my neighbors to trim some trees on their property which overhang seriously (and NOT nicely) into my yard. They're starting to impinge on the space I set aside for the dogwood!
Of course, wild dogwoods grow in the woods; they tend to do well planted under taller trees, as long as they aren't trees with dense foliage that creates a dense shade.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
June 22nd, 2006, 11:28 PM
Of course, wild dogwoods grow in the woods; they tend to do well planted under taller trees, as long as they aren't trees with dense foliage that creates a dense shade.It's not so much a matter of hurting the tree as hurting my VIEW of my tree!

Judy G. Russell
June 22nd, 2006, 11:29 PM
Hmmm... a water feature might be nice. An extra trip somewhere would be nicer.

Judy G. Russell
June 22nd, 2006, 11:34 PM
The cultivar I'm thinking of is called Edward Goucher. It's a bit more of a semi-evergreen.

Judy G. Russell
June 22nd, 2006, 11:36 PM
it does sound like a nice shrub -- I like the ones that give you interest in more than one season.Ditto... or at least ones that don't look nice one season and wretched the rest of the time!

Judy G. Russell
June 22nd, 2006, 11:37 PM
Nope nope nope. That's too much effort for me.

Judy G. Russell
June 22nd, 2006, 11:38 PM
You don't have to flee. You know the plant; I don't.

Judy G. Russell
June 22nd, 2006, 11:39 PM
you just gotta put in another azalea so both sides match--$15 to $25 bucks with some nice hardy azalea and your back in business!I'm very much tempted to do just that. I like azaleas! I do need one that's sun-tolerant.

lensue
June 23rd, 2006, 12:49 PM
>I like azaleas! I do need one that's sun-tolerant.<

Judy, all azaleas can take a little sun--some can take more--got any big nurseries where you are where you can look at alot of varieties and find one that takes a little more sun than most. Regards, Len

lensue
June 23rd, 2006, 12:52 PM
>An extra trip somewhere would be nicer.<

Judy, not for me--I'd definitely give up several trips to get a water feature in our garden--gardening is a very big factor in our lives--it's the reason we're out here in the boondocks of Warren County--we needed acreage and couldn't afford it closer to NYC. Regards, Len

Jeff
June 23rd, 2006, 12:57 PM

I believe that you don't have to ask about trimming overhang, unless you want them to pay for it. I sure didn't. I just called in a tree service and told them to trim to the property line, all the way to the top of the trees.

- Jeff

lensue
June 23rd, 2006, 12:58 PM
>The cultivar I'm thinking of is called Edward Goucher<

Judy, I'm not familiar with it but it sounds quite nice--of course it's deciduous but they say it has nice flowers and nice fall foliage.

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=A930

Regards, Len

Lindsey
June 23rd, 2006, 08:36 PM
It's not so much a matter of hurting the tree as hurting my VIEW of my tree!
Oh, I see! Yes, that's a problem!!

--Lindsey

ktinkel
June 23rd, 2006, 08:48 PM
I'm going to have to approach my neighbors to trim some trees on their property which overhang seriously (and NOT nicely) into my yard. They're starting to impinge on the space I set aside for the dogwood!Here in Connecticut (if not elsewhere), you may trim any tree or hedge that impinges on your property.

Of course, it is always better to engage the neighbor, make sure they can live with it.

We live under a huge, ancient oak tree growing in our neighbors’ yard. It is stunning, I must say. But it is also dying. And it overhangs my office (a third of our house — but full of computers). But the neighbors have lived here for 65 years. He is 83 and suffers from macular degeneration. His sister is about 80, and keeps them both together, with the help of visiting aides.

She thinks the world of that tree.

We are about to call our tree guy — our huge maple is also looking a little peaked, and that overhangs the back of our house! But we will ask him to look at the oak, and recommend treatment. I hope it isn’t drastic, but . . .

Very difficult stuff. But the law (here, anyway) would allow us to cut away any branches that endanger our property.

Lindsey
June 23rd, 2006, 08:54 PM
Here in Connecticut (if not elsewhere), you may trim any tree or hedge that impinges on your property.
I'm pretty sure that's the case here in Virginia, too. It wouldn't surprise me to find it was pretty generally true everywhere.

As you said, not something to be invoked lightly, but it does at least give you some leverage for negotiating the situation with your neighbors.

--Lindsey

ktinkel
June 24th, 2006, 07:58 AM
As you said, not something to be invoked lightly, but it does at least give you some leverage for negotiating the situation with your neighbors.Our neighbor said once that she would understand if we cut back the oak, but I could tell her heart wasn’t behind that idea. She is in her 80s and has lived here (intermittently) for some 65 years. She remembers when the big trees were planted.

Then a slightly smaller one in her back yard — on a perfectly dry, non-winday day — split in half. Amazingly, it fell so as to strike nothing important. But she was shaken. And a couple of weeks ago, a limb from the big one fell, again missing everything.

We are getting the tree guys in to look at several trees here (we have an 80-foot tall maple that makes me nervous sometimes — it also hangs over my office, which has a glass roof!)

These old trees are gorgeous. They frame the view, for one thing. But they also have the respect accrued over time. And they’re irreplaceable. But if the tree guy, already predisposed to preserve, tells us we need to do something drastic, guess we will.

The guy who bought the house to the other side of us cut down all the trees on the back (deep) part of the property. Strange. Now he just has a sort of lumpy sloping lawn. Inexplicable.

earler
June 24th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Ancient? How old is that oak?

-er

ktinkel
June 24th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Ancient? How old is that oak? Assuming you are not interested in semantic games, really, really old. It was in the ground when our neighbor was a kid, and she is 80-something.

Perhaps is it only ancient in terms of a few human lives.

Lindsey
June 24th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Then a slightly smaller one in her back yard — on a perfectly dry, non-winday day — split in half. Amazingly, it fell so as to strike nothing important. But she was shaken. And a couple of weeks ago, a limb from the big one fell, again missing everything.
I can understand their reluctance to do away with trees that they have known all their lives, but what you have related is just the problem: if the trees are not sound, they can come down at any time, and someone could get hurt, not to mention that they can do a good deal of damage to roofs and fences and any other structure, as well as other trees and shrubbery.

But yes, it's a delecate situation when you have to be the one to push it. It does help, though, when you have the independent recommendation of an expert to back you up.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
June 24th, 2006, 10:44 PM
>An extra trip somewhere would be nicer.<

Judy, not for me--I'd definitely give up several trips to get a water feature in our gardenThat's where we part company, then. I always want to see what's over the next hill!

Judy G. Russell
June 24th, 2006, 10:46 PM
I don't want them to pay for it. I want them to do it themselves! (They probably will if I ask them to.)

Judy G. Russell
June 24th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Here in Connecticut (if not elsewhere), you may trim any tree or hedge that impinges on your property.It's the law here as well.

Of course, it is always better to engage the neighbor, make sure they can live with it.Absolutely, and you're being quite kind of engage your elderly neighbors with respect to their oak tree. Here, I think it's going to be more a matter of, "Hey! Jan! Jimmy! Need some help pruning those bushes and that tree???" At least I hope so...

Judy G. Russell
June 24th, 2006, 10:50 PM
all azaleas can take a little sun--some can take more--got any big nurseries where you are where you can look at alot of varieties and find one that takes a little more sun than most.Yeah, there are a couple, and I'm sure they'll steer me in the right direction.

lensue
June 25th, 2006, 07:54 AM
>I always want to see what's over the next hill!<

Judy, yes, I can understand that--we've travelled to alot of places over the years and would like to do more--we've never been to Hawaii. Still we do love our gardening so it's always a hard choice how to spend the money. If only Sue would go back to work! Regards, Len [r,d,g]

lensue
June 25th, 2006, 08:03 AM
>We are getting the tree guys in to look at several trees here (we have an 80-foot tall maple that makes me nervous sometimes <

K, just this year we had to remove the second largest tree on our property, a wonderful tulip tree--the inside trunk was becoming rotted and threatened to fall on our starter house. It was a tough call but while we loved the tree it was getting dangerous. We've had other trees removed over the years--one time on returning from an opera one cold November evening we found a tree had come down and broken our fence that keeps the deer out and just grazed our garage--fortunately we got people out right away and got it fixed. Regards, Len

Judy G. Russell
June 25th, 2006, 10:55 AM
it's always a hard choice how to spend the money. If only Sue would go back to work! I have this odd feeling Sue doesn't quite see things the same way!

lensue
June 26th, 2006, 07:56 AM
>I have this odd feeling Sue doesn't quite see things the same way!<

Judy, you're right--sometimes she can be so stubborn! Regards, Len [g]

Nick Parkin
June 27th, 2006, 04:45 AM
I'm in zone 6, Nick -- generally good growing soil. New Jersey is called the Garden State for a reason. The area at issue faces a fairly busy street and, as you can see, I have windows facing that street. Here's a shot of what the whole front of the house looks like (or looked like when the second azalea was new and still alive!) in a photo taken from the street:

In part, I want the evergreens and accompanying plantings as a privacy screen from passersby, which is why I'm not opting to have a flower bed in the space.

I'm not tremendously familiar with the hardiness ratings - coming from a country with a mild climate, & not big enough to warrant variations!

If I were in your shoes I would pick something that I liked. For a suggestion - how about Bamboo? Or Bay? Or a variagated member of the Laurel family.

I suspect if I saw a picture of your plot from further away I would realise that this suggestion is inappropriate, but just for the record! ......

I don't like the idea of cutting out the light through windows. The most effective way of screening with plants is to site the plants close to the viewing point, rather than close to what is being screened (geometry, I need a diagram if I haven't expressed myself well enough with words).

Judy G. Russell
June 27th, 2006, 08:49 AM
I do understand what you mean about using plants away from what's being screened. I have a line of arbovitae along the side property line for that purpose. (I had an even better line before some idiot came through one night in a motor vehicle and killed one of them -- but then, better the arbovitae than the house!) But I want the front yard open to the street, but would prefer that folks not peek in the bottom level of the windows. (There's more than enough light with the top level.)

Lindsey
June 28th, 2006, 12:29 AM
I'm not tremendously familiar with the hardiness ratings - coming from a country with a mild climate, & not big enough to warrant variations!
FWIW, there's an interactive map of the USDA Hardiness Zones here (http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html). Click on the color key on the map to see a table of what average annual low temperature ranges correspond to each zone.

I like laurels -- I think they make lovely hedges.

--Lindsey

davidh
June 28th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Betty Mackey's Free E-book will help you take advantage of every bit of your small garden.

Msg:
http://community.compuserve.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=libraryMessages&tsn=1&tid=194924&webtag=ws-gardening

DL:
http://community.compuserve.com/n/docs/docDownload.aspx?webtag=ws-gardening&guid=98e44fc7-700d-487f-96fa-77166306d177

File From Posted Size DLs Last
small_gardens_x1x.pdf Daryl/Ga/Zone 7a Jan-26 1383K 30 Jun-11

DH