PDA

View Full Version : what's up with Aaron Small?

ndebord
June 4th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Small is now 0-3 on the season with a 9.67 ERA and has yielded nine homers in 22 1-3 innings. Last year, he gave up four in 76 innings.

Today the Orioles blew out the Bombers and Small 11-4. Tomorrow sees the start of a four game set with Beantown.

Judy G. Russell
June 4th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Last year was beginner's luck?

ndebord
June 4th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Last year was beginner's luck?

Judy,

I'd like to believe that he's not back fully from his stint on DL, but I worry you're right.

<sigh>

Judy G. Russell
June 5th, 2006, 10:37 AM
I'd like to believe that he's not back fully from his stint on DL, but I worry you're right.<sigh>Think about it. Last year, nobody expected him to do well. He was an emergency reliever brought in from the minors (where he was 1-4 with a 4.96 ERA in 11 games (10 starts)) and anything he could do was gravy. So there wasn't real pressure on him. This year, he's supposed to get out there and produce regularly.

ndebord
June 5th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Think about it. Last year, nobody expected him to do well. He was an emergency reliever brought in from the minors (where he was 1-4 with a 4.96 ERA in 11 games (10 starts)) and anything he could do was gravy. So there wasn't real pressure on him. This year, he's supposed to get out there and produce regularly.

Judy,

Yeah, the classic underdog role, which is why I root so hard for him.

P.S. Well, that right hamstring injury that Small sufferred from is probably not healed completely. He's not planting his foot right on delivery and is getting his ball up in the zone, not good if your primary out weapons are sinkers and changeups. In his own words, "I stunk out there."

Judy G. Russell
June 5th, 2006, 08:01 PM
In his own words, "I stunk out there."As, I am glad to note, does Josh Beckett. It's 13-2 and the game ain't half over!!!

ndebord
June 5th, 2006, 08:21 PM
As, I am glad to note, does Josh Beckett. It's 13-2 and the game ain't half over!!!

Judy,

Interesting stat on Josh Beckett. In the National League, he gave up very few home runs, not so in the American League. Perhaps he is having trouble adjusting to the DH.

(Now 13-3 in the 5th inning)

<fingers and toes>

Mike Landi
June 5th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Boy, did we pound the Sox into the dirt tonight!

I warned both my boys: wear your Yankee uniform shirts tomorrow (to school) and have a little fun with your friends who are Red Sox fans. However, remember that there are three more games and the Red Sox could wind up pounding us tomorrow night. Remember, we were kicked around silly Sunday!

Judy G. Russell
June 5th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Perhaps he is having trouble adjusting to the DH.May his troubles continue...

Judy G. Russell
June 5th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Boy, did we pound the Sox into the dirt tonight!It sure was purrrrrrrrrrty...

ndebord
June 6th, 2006, 11:24 AM

I warned both my boys: wear your Yankee uniform shirts tomorrow (to school) and have a little fun with your friends who are Red Sox fans. However, remember that there are three more games and the Red Sox could wind up pounding us tomorrow night. Remember, we were kicked around silly Sunday!

Mike,

Knock on wood, but the current worst Yankee starting pitcher lost Sunday. We went with out ace yesterday (Mussina) and hopefully Wright and Johnson will continue in similar fashion.

ndebord
June 6th, 2006, 11:27 AM

Mike,

Knock on wood, but the current worst Yankee starting pitcher lost Sunday. We went with our current best pitcher yesterday (Moose) and hopefully Wang, Wright and Johnson will continue in similar fashion.

Mike Landi
June 6th, 2006, 02:11 PM
That overshift-"who's covering third?"-"who's covering HOME?" play was embarrassing (for them) <g>

Mike Landi
June 6th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Wright? Who know?

Johnson? Who knows?

<g>

I think we better worry about Wang. He may be over-rested and that could lead to his sinker not sinking. You KNOW Boston wants to avenge yesterday.

Judy G. Russell
June 6th, 2006, 03:57 PM
That overshift-"who's covering third?"-"who's covering HOME?" play was embarrassing (for them) <g>It sure was. And I don't mind saying I enjoyed every bit of it...

Judy G. Russell
June 6th, 2006, 03:58 PM
I think we better worry about Wang. He may be over-rested and that could lead to his sinker not sinking. You KNOW Boston wants to avenge yesterday.Wang worries me every time he pitches...

ndebord
June 7th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Wang worries me every time he pitches...

Judy,

It's funny, but I'm not worried about Wang at all. He's been good, then bad, then good again, all in the same game with times when his sinker doesn't sink. After watching this game for a few years now, I recognize that ground ball pitchers are prone to early season woes until they get their acts together. Wang, Small and Chacon has all been on the disabled list this year and that can't help in maintaining a routine.

P.S. (Of course, this post is made with the luxury of hindsight!)

Mike Landi
June 7th, 2006, 08:16 AM
And after a blowout Tuesday, we have a pitching duel yesterday. I missed Melky's catch! I heard John Sterling call it, but I did not see it. Gotta go to a sports bar for lunch today and see a replay.

ndebord
June 7th, 2006, 11:21 AM
And after a blowout Tuesday, we have a pitching duel yesterday. I missed Melky's catch! I heard John Sterling call it, but I did not see it. Gotta go to a sports bar for lunch today and see a replay.

Mike,

Remember how Dr. J and Jordan elevated? That was Melky yesterday. What a leap and he reached OVER the wall to get the ball. And he is not particularly tall. Six foot or thereabouts???

Mike Landi
June 7th, 2006, 12:25 PM
His timing was perfect. I saw a clip of the catch from the perspective of the left field foul pole.

Amazing...catch of a lifetime.

Judy G. Russell
June 7th, 2006, 12:26 PM
And after a blowout Tuesday, we have a pitching duel yesterday. I missed Melky's catch! I heard John Sterling call it, but I did not see it. Gotta go to a sports bar for lunch today and see a replay.If they don't have it at the sports bar, check out ESPN's website...

Judy G. Russell
June 7th, 2006, 12:29 PM
P.S. (Of course, this post is made with the luxury of hindsight!)ROFL!!! Yeah, that does help...

Mike Landi
June 8th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Saw it, many times. Amazing....

Judy G. Russell
June 8th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Saw it, many times. Amazing....Looks like that may be all we get to see -- weather says it's raining there AGAIN now??? (I'm out in Chicago...)

ndebord
June 8th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Saw it, many times. Amazing....

Mike,

Did they show the Farnsworth shot? (He came over and practically made love to Melky. That was some hug!) (He shudda, considering that he threw a fastball down to a low fastball hitter.)

Mike Landi
June 9th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Oh, yeah! Farnsworth looked like he just dodged machine gun fire! <g>

ndebord
June 9th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Oh, yeah! Farnsworth looked like he just dodged machine gun fire! <g>

Mike,

LOL!