PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me again about Blind.copy.receiver

dgermann
May 31st, 2006, 12:02 PM
Hi--

Have a technical service rep for a software product I need help with who is telling me my e-mails are going into his spam filter because of "Blind.copy.receiver." For now I have asked if he can put my address into his whitelist. I have also told him I didn't think I had any control over that; that it was something CI$ did.

Did I remember it correctly? Or is there something I can do with a Tapcis setting for his address which will give him something else in the address area?

I think it wise to make almost all my mail addresses be blind copy, just to avoid the passing of e-mail addresses into spammers' hands....

Thanks!

Gary Maltzen
May 31st, 2006, 12:44 PM
"Blind.copy.receiver" is generated as the psuedo-recipient by certain mail software when you have NO non-BCC addresses. The simplest solution is to add one address (typically yourself - the sender) as the principal/only non-blind recipient.

To avoid confusing some of the less literate e-mail recipients (by listing yourself as both sender and recipient), you may want to establish a second (free AIM.COM?) address for use as the sole non-blind recipient.

Lindsey
May 31st, 2006, 04:21 PM
To avoid confusing some of the less literate e-mail recipients (by listing yourself as both sender and recipient), you may want to establish a second (free AIM.COM?) address for use as the sole non-blind recipient.
And for further clarity, give the free mailbox a name like "DougsList@whatever.com".

--Lindsey

dgermann
May 31st, 2006, 09:57 PM
Thanks Gary and Lindsey--

Now I am confused. This sounds like it is a setting that I have set up in Tapcis6. But I cannot find where. Nor can I see where I can change this guy's address.

Here is what I am trying to do: Send a single e-mail to one person, usually by reply to his e-mail to me.

The Tap envelope says nothing about bcc. I have looked around in the mail set up screen, but there is nothing there. Found nothing in the Help Index.

Any ideas how to get the e-mail to him without the blind.copy.receiver?

Thanks!

Lindsey
May 31st, 2006, 10:20 PM
Here is what I am trying to do: Send a single e-mail to one person, usually by reply to his e-mail to me.

The Tap envelope says nothing about bcc.
In that case, it sounds like the problem is that you have turned off the "Show distribution list on outgoing mails" option in Setup | Mail. (See attached image.) Having it turned off is like sending everything BCC.

Be aware, though, that if you turn that option on, you will need to be careful if you send mail to a list with TAPCIS and do not want the addresses visibile to every recipient of the list. In that case, you will have to be careful to include a "/BCC" (without the quotation marks) after each address on the list that you do not wish to display. (And since TAPCIS breaks up long lists into groups of 50 to get around CompuServe's bulk mail restrictions, every 50th address in the list will need to be one that is NOT a /BCC -- your "visible" group mailing address, the one Gary was advising you to use.)

--Lindsey

dgermann
June 1st, 2006, 09:50 PM
Lindsey--

Thanks. That sounds like the secret.

So if I want to send this guy just one e-mail, then I need to change that check box, send his one e-mail, then set it back for the rest of my e-mails?

Or, I have to divide my e-mail lists up so that every 50th name is a safe one to show the world.

Sounds like he ought to be able to reset his e-mail filter to allow in my address, and that should be easier for both of us. <sigh>

Thanks, Lindsey!

Lindsey
June 1st, 2006, 10:29 PM
So if I want to send this guy just one e-mail, then I need to change that check box, send his one e-mail, then set it back for the rest of my e-mails?

Or, I have to divide my e-mail lists up so that every 50th name is a safe one to show the world.
I'm afraid that's about the size of it, yes. Or: Send your group e-mails with another mail client through a different ISP.

(I'm not sure whether using a standard e-mail client -- Eudora, Thunderbird, etc. -- with CompuServe would work or not; it would depend on whether CompuServe's SMTP server had the same bulk mail restrictions as HMI mail. And I don't know the answer to that.)

--Lindsey

dgermann
June 3rd, 2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks, Lindsey. That's what I needed to know!

Lindsey
June 3rd, 2006, 09:27 PM
Thanks, Lindsey. That's what I needed to know!
Good luck!

--Lindsey