PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla text sizes

Dan in Saint Louis
May 27th, 2006, 06:12 PM
I have a new laptop with a 1680x1050-pixel screen, with the result that there are 128 pixels/inch instead of the usual 72 to 96. Text can be darned small!

I have set the screen resolution in Windows ("Control Panel, Display, Settings, Advanced, General") to 120 dpi, and now menus etc. are about right. Mozilla Thunderbird and Firefox, however, refuse to honor that setting. Text that comes from a Windows DLL (menus, title bar, status line, etc) is fine, but the body of messages -- like email, and this forum -- are still minute.

If I choose "Large Fonts", the menus etc again increase in size, but not body content. Unfortunately, IE honors the Windows settings. I could set the fonts larger from the TB and FF menus, but that becomes part of my profile for those programs and when I move back to another computer the text is then too big.

Does anybody know how to get Mozilla products to honor the Windows size settings? Thanks!

Mike
May 27th, 2006, 09:53 PM
I don't know how to get them to honor Windows' size settings, but in Options (on the Content Tab), one can click "Advanced," and then set the Display Resolution on that dialog.

Dan in Saint Louis
May 28th, 2006, 10:31 AM
I don't know how to get them to honor Windows' size settings, but in Options (on the Content Tab), one can click "Advanced," and then set the Display Resolution on that dialog.Thanks, Mike. I have tried that and can make it look better, but I fear that it will be stored in my traveling profile and be a PITA when I move to another machine.

"Allow pages to choose thier own fonts" will be another area to explore. I had never been down that "Content, Advanced" path before!

fhaber
May 28th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Vista's supposed to be much better at keeping large fonts people safe from menu text overflowing dialogs, etc. They say.

(I know, I know... the rest of Vista.... You may now throw the rotten fruit.)

Mike
May 28th, 2006, 05:58 PM
... but I fear that it will be stored in my traveling profile and be a PITA when I move to another machine.
Oh, yeah... that could be a problem.

My employer gave me a notebook with a 1400x1050 screen, but even at that resolution, the defaults seem to work ok... probably because the screen is a bit less than arms' length. My regular monitor is a bit farther away.