PDA

View Full Version : Tapcis with XP?

BettyB
May 24th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I'm using a new computer with the XP operating system and wondering if I can install Tapcis on it. (I still use it to pick up my CompuServe Classic mail)
Has anyone else done this....is it possible?

Seem to recall there was an add on required for something or other....to use a dsl connection perhaps? I've been using dial up on the old computer and don't mind that...pretty sure there's an internal 56k modem on this new machine so would just need to figure out how to configure it for Tap.

Anyone have comments or suggestions?

BB

earler
May 24th, 2006, 05:20 PM
No problem whatsoever.

-er

Judy G. Russell
May 24th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Betty, it is possible with no problems, but you may need to add a line to the Connect section of Tapcis.ini:

ConnectCmd=cmd /c start /w .\t6com.exe

BettyB
May 25th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Betty, it is possible with no problems, but you may need to add a line to the Connect section of Tapcis.ini:

ConnectCmd=cmd /c start /w .\t6com.exe

Thanks, Judy. I'll no doubt be back with more questions. Am proceeding slowly and carefully. (g)

BB

Lindsey
May 25th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Seem to recall there was an add on required for something or other....to use a dsl connection perhaps?
Yes, for connections other than dial-up you'd need something like COM-IP to allow TAPCIS to use the TCP/IP connection, but I'm not sure how well COM-IP works with TAPCIS under the newer versions of Windows, and in any case, it's an expensive option. If you can use dial-up, that's what I'd recommend.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
May 25th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Betty, as long as you're using the modem, you won't have any problem at all. Even that line is only so you can have two windows open (one online and one offline) at the same time.

davidh
May 26th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Thanks, Judy. I'll no doubt be back with more questions. Am proceeding slowly and carefully. (g)

BB

Betty, I think we're all assuming that you are using a DOS-compatible modem, such as an external modem that plugs into a serial (9 pin or 25 pin) port on the back of the PC.

It is rather uncommon to find DOS-compatible modems installed at the factory internally in new PC's. And in fact, my wife bought a new XP computer last summer and it had no serial port at all, so that if we had wanted to attached a standard external serial modem, it would have required buying a separate serial card to plug into the PC.

If it turns out that you do not have a DOS compatible modem, it might be wiser to use one of the common windows POP3 mail programs and fetch your CS mail via POP3 instead of the Compuserve Classic mail protocols (same email account, just different protocol). With this option you'd only need the minimal price pay as you go Classic plan to get full use of Compuserve Classic since there's not much left of Classic besides email.

David H.

BettyB
May 26th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Thanks to all who responded (haven't been participating here enough to remember how to do individual replies - either that or my brain is on vacation again)

Anyway... I had planned on using dial up but I suspect there won't be a connection for my external modem. Lots of USB ports but nothing useful (g). If the internal modem doesn't work then I guess it's the end of Tapcis for me. Shame though as it's so nifty for keeping track of mail.

Debating now about whether or not to put VK on this machine. I think having it on the old computer allowed me to pick up my classic mail via Outlook Express without resorting to a "mail only" password. I _think_ that was the case because I sure didn't write down a "mail only" password for that Pop3 account.

Eventually will get everything worked out. Some old stuff may fall off and some new stuff will turn up. Keeps life interesting.

Thanks again,

BB

Judy G. Russell
May 26th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Debating now about whether or not to put VK on this machine. I think having it on the old computer allowed me to pick up my classic mail via Outlook Express without resorting to a "mail only" password. I _think_ that was the case because I sure didn't write down a "mail only" password for that Pop3 account. Yes, that's right. But then once you set the mail-only password, you could switch to any POP3 mail program.

BettyB
May 29th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Yes, that's right. But then once you set the mail-only password, you could switch to any POP3 mail program.

Yes, I may have to go that route but I liked being able to see message headers (and who sent them) and being able to delete without viewing the darn things. There is entirely too much spam on CIS now.

Leaning now toward VK and CIS software but worried adding VK will screw up my ability to log on in both my accounts (classic and freebie). Also pondering whether I want to reinstall Mozilla or go for Firefox since I only use the browser portion anyway.

Decisions, decisions. And the older I get the harder it seems to make up my mind. (sigh)

BB

BettyB
May 29th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Yes, for connections other than dial-up you'd need something like COM-IP to allow TAPCIS to use the TCP/IP connection, but I'm not sure how well COM-IP works with TAPCIS under the newer versions of Windows, and in any case, it's an expensive option. If you can use dial-up, that's what I'd recommend.

--Lindsey

Dear Lindsey,

It looks more and more like it will be goodbye to Tap. Breaks my heart though.

BB

Judy G. Russell
May 29th, 2006, 02:05 PM
I liked being able to see message headers (and who sent them) and being able to delete without viewing the darn things.You can sign up for Mailwasher (http://www.mailwasher.net/) and do that in that program, then download the remaining mail (whatever you don't delete as spam) with your email program. For a single email account, it's free. If you want multiple accounts "washed," it's $37 for the Pro version. I couldn't survive without it.

BettyB
May 29th, 2006, 05:05 PM
You can sign up for Mailwasher (http://www.mailwasher.net/) and do that in that program, then download the remaining mail (whatever you don't delete as spam) with your email program. For a single email account, it's free. If you want multiple accounts "washed," it's $37 for the Pro version. I couldn't survive without it.

That certainly looks like a program that will work. They even tell you how to set it up for CompuServe. Thanks Judy, I think you've just made life a bit easier for me. (g)

BB

Judy G. Russell
May 29th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Glad to help -- and if you run into any questions about it, holler. I use it constantly for all my POP3 mail accounts. (My work account is totally TRASHED with spam -- if it wasn't for Mailwasher, I'd never find the few real messages!)

BettyB
June 13th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Glad to help -- and if you run into any questions about it, holler. I use it constantly for all my POP3 mail accounts. (My work account is totally TRASHED with spam -- if it wasn't for Mailwasher, I'd never find the few real messages!)

Dear Judy,

Danged if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong but...
I downloaded MailWasher and it worked as advertised. Once. Now I can't seem to get it started again. I can find and double click on it but all I see is a one liner in Notepad that appears to be a cookie.

I think my brain has mumified. One should not attempt these complicated upheavals after a certain age.

Help!

BB

Judy G. Russell
June 13th, 2006, 09:06 PM
The file you're looking for is MAILWASHER.EXE. Do a search for that in Windows Explorer (Search -> Mailwasher.exe in the Search for files or folders box and choose the drive to search -- probably your C drive). Then double click on that file.

BettyB
June 15th, 2006, 12:10 PM
The file you're looking for is MAILWASHER.EXE. Do a search for that in Windows Explorer (Search -> Mailwasher.exe in the Search for files or folders box and choose the drive to search -- probably your C drive). Then double click on that file.

(banging head on desk) Of course it worked the first time - I probably clicked on Run versus Save. Duh.

Back to the website, downloaded it and printed out the Help files. Initial setup got me online to CIS where I deleted a buncha spam. Works slick. Now I'll spend some time deciding how I want to set up the other options.

Thank you so much Judy for pointing me in the right direction and for your continued support on so many things.

BB

Judy G. Russell
June 15th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Glad to help. With all the spam out there, I couldn't live without Mailwasher! (You should SEE the junk that comes in on my work account, of all things!)